1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

That was me. The McTavish is waxed infused and will not change colors or patina like a proper full-grain leather will. For this reason, a lot of health institutions will utilize waxy-leathers on their seating to preserve an antiseptic aesthetic as the leather will not change in appearance or wear. If you're paying anywhere near retail, I would be inclined to purchase a more luxurious leather like a full-grain calf on the Strand that will age beautifully and can also take a polish (while the McTavish can not). Fortunate for me, I got my McTavish's on sale, but I think paying near retail for what amounts to a limited purpose casual shoe that isn't much better than a recraftable Florsheim is a rip. All IMO of course ;)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  2. facet

facet Senior member

I like those shoes, especially in the blue. I was thinking of getting the Kenilworths (basically seem to be the same shoe) as well for work; but, apparently, they're made of corrected grain leather so I'm a little reticent to pull the trigger on a pair.

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

The Sedona has an attractive price point for what it is. They were $150 as I recall for the Father's Day sale. On the other hand, you can get a chromexcel Rancourt for as little as $210 (vs. the $175 retail on the Sedona). Still, the color selection on the Sedona offers some fun choices.

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I don't agree. The McTavish is a fine casual shoe even at full price. I would propose it's a matter of taste. Not everyone is concerned about developing a patina on their leather for casual wear. That's the purpose of the "Rough" line. They're not meant to be shiny or display a nuanced grain or patina. They're meant to look "rough" and compliment what SF members would consider "Streetwear".

5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I make no comment as to the non-bolded portion of the above post.

As for the bolded portion, I completely agree. :nodding:

6. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I'm more concerned with how they will hold up. If they aren't full-grain leather, is the leather going to start cracking and looking bad in a year or two?

7. MarioImpemba

Taste aside, it's still a matter of value. If you're not getting full-grain calf (and apparently only partially U.S.-made) then where's the value in purchasing AE over more stylish offerings from any number of other makers? Cole Haan has a whole line of similarly styled shoes for under $200. Picking up uncorrected calf Strands for $220 on sale is an incredible, unparalleled value. Picking up "rough" leather for the same price just for the look when there's countless other options at the same or less price makes less sense. But, to each their own.

8. MarioImpemba

Even corrected-grain leather would have to be of absolute bottom-tier quality to start cracking after a year or two.

They will hold up just fine.

For reference, I posted mine earlier in this thread. They are over a year old, have been subjected to muddy construction sites and Pacific NW and Shanghai humidity:

[​IMG]

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Fair enough. The perception of value has a subjective component. I don't cruise the department store shoe section, and I admit I am not familiar with casual offerings from Cole Haan or similar brands and how they compare in terms of quality. AE makes a solid product which is designed for recrafting and requires minimal maintenance. When AE doesn't meet my needs I go for Alden.

10. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I didn't know that either. Thanks Cold Iron, that's very informative.

11. otc

otc Senior member

How's the shape of a rancourt compare? I picked up a pair of rancourt-made RL Edrics that I am returning because the vamp is just so short/low that they seem kind of off and/or feminine.

They feel very well made and would probably be comfortable so I would be fine buying some Rancourts if they were a little closer in shape to the Sedona which has a much higher vamp.

12. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I don't have any Rancourt penny loafers (just ordered a venetian loafer). But I see what you mean, based on the photos. The vamp does look low. All the Rancourt shoes are MTO. And they have some different lasts. If you give them a call, they can describe what they can and can't do.

13. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Very diplomatic of you [​IMG]

14. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

Nicely put.

15. konoyaro

konoyaro Senior member

+1 I've had a pair of the tan McTavish for over a year and a half and they've held up extremely well. I notice no unusual wear, cracking or splitting on the uppers.
    [​IMG]

16. Dima

Dima Active Member

Guys, need a quick advice about sizing.
    Have a chance to get AE Randolph for cheap. Since I have no experience with any AE shoes (and even any US made), don't know which size to choose. I wear almost everything in 8UK. Any comparisons of AE 9(79) last with C&J, Barker, Loake, Meermin, Sanders would be helpful.

17. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

just got an email about the 2 for $300 sale, contact shoe bank for sizes and styles.

18. evolved

evolved Senior member

I've only had one interaction with the Shoebank in the past, and it was great. Am I able to email them for a stock list of all shoes in my size? So, I would be asking for what they have on hand in 11B.

19. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Yes, exactly. They should email you back a list of available stock in your size.

20. evolved

evolved Senior member

Thanks! The last time I emailed back and forth it was for a specific pair, so I wasn't sure of how it all worked. Thanks, again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.