• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

helius0

Reaction score
Malvern sports the better suede out of those 3...

So they are definitely different? Are the Katmais and Amoks different too?

(My SO is going to think that I've gone mad, buying yet another pair of Malverns...)

bucksfan

Reaction score

Tried the Quinton in brown suede. Not a huge fan. Suede seemed pretty cheap. Sending them back for a 9.5 Bayfield Brown Chromexcel.
Anyone have any experience with this shoe?

I can comment on the Bayfield, if that's what you are asking. Just got mine today - and they are great. They are going into my rotation for inclement weather duty. Chromexcel is pretty great stuff. Pics to follow over the weekend.

So what site do you guys buy your shoes from?

Typically from AE directly, from my local outlet.

Also, I saw the AE for Brooks Brothers shoes today at the AE store, and I must say they looked pretty nice. In addition to the Strand, they also are doing a Version of the Elgin and the Shelton, in light brown calfskin. There also was a loafer I think.

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried the Amok (not a good fit) and the Katmai. The suede is on par with the price. Alden suede is superb but $200 more.
Can anyone comment on the suede used in Malverns, Katmais, and the newer Amoks?

I'm looking to get a pair of suede ankle boots but am a little worried about all the posts about the suede used in Amoks (possibly limited to the first batches) aren't exactly top grade stuff.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just received my AE Fifth st boots today. I am US8EEE since they don’t come in EEE ordered US8.4D. They are a bit long and also plenty of room on the toe box. To be honest a bit disappointed with the pair. This is my first pair of AE. I did compare them with my 2 pairs of RL US8D (Sanderson and Singleton – both made by ae) both of them were extremely narrow. So I went ½ size up. But realized they are made on different last.
Anyway there are few blemish on leather here and there(seems like leather was bent and uneven and they look quite deep and scuff marks) few major stitching issue as well. Sorry I am not complaining about AE. I guess reading all compliments regarding Ae I was under the impression they would be really be RL quality.
I will post picture on the stitching issue over the weekend. There is a double stitching size of 2/3 inch on the side of the eyelet’s. And due to that there is a visible dimple. Returning not an option as I am in Australia. Will cost me over$70 to ship back to us.
Do you guys think its worth approaching endless and asking for a further discount as the condition they arrived is quite poor.

Last edited:

Essential

Reaction score
^ Make sure you email them. AE has great customer service and will work out a solution with you.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, my Katmai was custom ordered. The build is first quality with no complaints but the mouth of the boot is huge. I can get three to four fingers in there. Otherwise the fit is good. My SA told me to bring them back for a return or exchange rather than keep something I wasn't happy with. No complaints there.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Strand in brown Shell. If my walnut shell Strands weren't so dark I'd get a pair in a heart beat. For calf the Jefferson from the Independence Collection, which I am wearing today. Crappy cell phone picture does not do them justice. They are worth the extra cost IMO.

In the sun:

Those are looking great with some wear on them. I was visiting my favorite AE crack dealer shoe store yesterday and gave the Jefferson in Walnut a hard look. They didn't have them in the dark brown, otherwise they probably would have come home with me.

What is your favorite dark brown (not walnut) oxford AE? Can you provide photos?
Dark brown shell cordovan Strand. I must say though, don't rule out a burgundy shell shoe, if you don't already have them. Burgundy is a classic color for men's dress shoes. For Oxfords, check out the Cambridge or Park Ave in burgundy shell or calf.

I'd like to thank this thread for opening my eyes to Allen Edmonds. I only recently realized that I could find great deals on these shoes.
I will be sending the Chocolate Players are being sent back. The Black Hales and Chili Powells are from the 2 for $200. The Walnut Lombards were my first pair.
Great choices! I really like those Lombards, unfortunately the Lombard doesn't work with my foot. The 2 last is just too narrow. Enjoy!

I have just received my AE Fifth st boots today. I am US8EEE since they don’t come in EEE ordered US8.4D. They are a bit long and also plenty of room on the toe box. To be honest a bit disappointed with the pair. This is my first pair of AE. I did compare them with my 2 pairs of RL US8D (Sanderson and Singleton – both made by ae) both of them were extremely narrow. So I went ½ size up. But realized they are made on different last.
Anyway there are few blemish on leather here and there(seems like leather was bent and uneven and they look quite deep and scuff marks) few major stitching issue as well. Sorry I am not complaining about AE. I guess reading all compliments regarding Ae I was under the impression they would be really be RL quality.
I will post picture on the stitching issue over the weekend. There is a double stitching size of 2/3 inch on the side of the eyelet’s. And due to that there is a visible dimple. Returning not an option as I am in Australia. Will cost me over$70 to ship back to us.
Do you guys think its worth approaching endless and asking for a further discount as the condition they arrived is quite poor.
That's good you figured out your size - that's what just didn't work for me on those boots. You bought first quality shoes (and it sounds like you didn't get first quality). If you are unhappy with the option your retailer gave you, give AE a chance to make it right. Their customer service is typically great, I trust you will find the same.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking to get a pair of suede ankle boots but am a little worried about all the posts about the suede used in Amoks (possibly limited to the first batches) aren't exactly top grade stuff.

From what I've seen, the amoks have cheaper suede. Never seen the katmais.

My malverns in the brogue suede are great though. The suede seems to be high quality sturdy stuff. May not be up to the C&J or even Alden level, but for the price, it really shouldn't be.

UglyJoe

Reaction score
Since I got my Malvern's for a hundred bucks, I really don't much care if Alden or C&J have better suede....

spitshine123

Reaction score
Since I got my Malvern's for a hundred bucks, I really don't much care if Alden or C&J have better suede....

Some pictures please! I got the burnished brown leather malverns as part of the sale and they might just be my most comfortable pair of AEs. The rubber sole and (lightly padded) poron insole really give a soft ride. I feel like the Malvern is a little underrated around these parts

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the Katmai and the suede is substantial. It is certainly not a desert boot suede thickness and I would not expect it to stretch much if at all. While I consider the suede fairly decent level I wish they wouldn't have had decided to stretch the artistic aspect of the boot and put a longer nap on the rear than the front. From any distance away you can not tell though, you have to examine them fairly close to see it on mine. And I'm sure some people like it as it is.

Tried the Quinton in brown suede. Not a huge fan. Suede seemed pretty cheap. Sending them back for a 9.5 Bayfield Brown Chromexcel.
Anyone have any experience with this shoe?

I had Russell Moccasin custom build me a pair of Grand Slam Sheep Hunters after they personally measured my feet. My Bayfield’s fit better than they do. Because of my lifestyle I’m a boot whore of the first magnitude and actually own more boots than shoes, although I’m trying to even the keel on that. The brown Bayfield is the best general purpose all around boot that I have ever owned, and I’ve owned a lot of boots and wore them out over the years. They are not a load bearing boot and were not designed to be one. I wouldn’t pack elk or a mulie out of the Co. Mountains with them or backpack the AT or PC trails in them. But the support is still above average for a general purpose boot. The soles are very low profile, even more so than the AE Cascades or any other informal boot I own and contribute to what I consider a great style. Nick Horween has an article worth reading on his website about CXL leather:

http://horween.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/chromexcel®-2/

He mentions that he has had success with Montana Pitch Blend for waterproofing CXL so I decided to use Obenauf’s Heavy Duty Leather Preservative (HDLP) which is very similar and it has worked well for me. My black Bayfield’s I just polish with regular shoe cream then wax and use as a foul weather dress boot. I am extremely pleased with both of them.

calidist

Reaction score
Folks with Daltons, have you found that TTS works best after break in? My first pair of AEs (San Marco brown pebble) started as almost too tight and now after 4-5 wears are almost too big. Not sure if I should go with TTS in the Daltons or expect it to similarly stretch so much... Thanks for your advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads