Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smilelouis

smilelouis Well-Known Member

write an email to: [email protected] or call them @ (262) 284-7158 to get a list of the available AE shoes of your size.
    this is the contact info of Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank at the Factory, 201 East Seven Hills Road, Port Washington, WI 53074. you can buy factory seconds there. i just got a pair of BB strand which are $170. as for fifth avenue, i think they are $200+.

2. benzcl500

benzcl500 New Member

Awesome, thanks! Even if they're 200 plus, it's a lot better than shelling out close to $400. I'm guessing the blemishes on the seconds aren't that bad?

Last edited: May 21, 2012

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

$400 isn't bad if you like your shoes. You'll have them for a long time (with maintenance).

4. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Do you live in NY? I live in NJ, so they were able to ship them to me for free, and I avoided paying the sales tax. Otherwise, check with user allaboutshoes for discounted prices.

5. benzcl500

benzcl500 New Member

paying $200 > paying $400

But yes, if that was the only price you could buy them at, I would do it. I appreciate anything well-made and built to last, and I want to wear these shoes 10-20 years from now.

Sweet, thanks for the info.

Last edited: May 21, 2012

6. smilelouis

smilelouis Well-Known Member

for my BB strand, i don't see any obvious problem. only a shalow blemish close to the heel which i think can be restoreed by leather lotion stuff.

7. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

To each his own, I'm not one for seconds. I wouldn't turn away from a sale on first quality though.

8. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Well done sir - top marks :teach:

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

So like a Player's shoe that fits a normal foot? Was that your intent?

Great shoes whatever the reason, though!

10. froyz25

froyz25 Member

So I just picked up a pair of brown burnished Hinsdales and I must say they have got to be the nicest AE shoe I have ever seen. However when I went to AEs website it says the 108 last fits almost the same as the 222 . The shoes felt great when I first tried them on, but having returned a pair of players on the 222 I am afraid these may be headed for the same fate. Does anyone have any real life input on this?

11. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Yeah, I've seen that description on the AE site, and I completely disagree with it. I have the Clifton, which is also on the 108 last, and I have tried 222 last shoes. There is no comparison - the Cliftons have plenty of room, particularly in the ball and toe areas, while the 222 shoes squeeze my feet like a vice. The 222 is appreciably narrower; I don't know why AE equates these two on their website.

So in short, I think you will be fine with the Hinsdales.

12. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

+1

I can never seem to pull the trigger on seconds. But I also recommend SF member allaboutshoes, first quality shoes at discount.

13. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Very nice addition and good start to your collection. It's good to see Brooks Brothers sourcing some of their shoes from AE - rather than mostly English makers. (not that I have anything against England, I am just pro USA). Those BB Strands look like they will be very comfortable and long-lasting.

I really like the look of the 5th Streets, I just couldn't get the right fit. I'm glad you found them comfortable. I don't think I'd bother with the pull tabs - I'd just plan to grip the back or sides of the boot, and use a shoe tree if necessary. Nice socks!

Very cool. I like the Macneil with "regular" welt. Is that walnut calfskin (smooth rather than pebbled)? Enjoy!

There is usually a First Quality sale around Memorial Day / Fathers Day and again around July 4.

Today's shoes: Brown shell cordovan Strands. Client meetings all day, so I decided on conservative socks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2012

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thanks, I have been more than pleased with all of my shell from AE. You know there just seems something inherently wrong with having to apologize for brushing shell to the point where the sun glares off it.... [​IMG]

Nothing wrong with your pictures to me, because of them I purchased the shell Bradley which I was sitting on the fence about for more than 2 years. And just had to order the shell Cambridge thanks to the pictures by you and dsmivtr. If I'm looking at a shoe or boot and considering it for purchase I now come here and search this thread first.

15. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Was just browsing Amazon and saw this:

Not sure which shoes are included.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.