1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

Kenilworth (great shoe very versatile) - stick with 9E (same last as McAllister)
    Delray - stick with 9E the 8 last is pretty interchangeable with the 5 last imo
    Norwich - this is on 2 last? very very tight! Recommend increasing width!

2. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Kenilworth- same size as my other 5 last shoes
    Delray- I find the 8 last to be much narrower in the toebox than the 5 last, the shoe is also a little bit shorter. I elected to go .5 up since I can't fit the 8 last in the same size as my 5 last
    Norwich- Strange last, very long (perhaps longer than the 5), but very narrow. I can't seem to find a good fit. From what I remember, norwich seemed to have a high instep though, meaning it might be looser for you up-down

3. jmartinjr8

jmartinjr8 New Member

Wow thank you for the fast responses. I didn't think I would get a reply this quickly. Definitly looking foward to these shoes

4. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I'm interested in seeing how those soles work out. I have the Wilbert in both brown and black and over the years the heels have become worn down some. Unlike a leather soled shoe you can't just replace the heel on them. I only wear them in bad weather any more and seldom at that, and have been considering having a mini lug put on one of them to try out. I have found the lug and mini lug soles from AE stand up well over time and are harder than most rubber soles. I'm sending my shell Dalton boots to Nick to put true Commando soles on them. He is also the only one in the US that does Dainite soles, but Dainite soles are way too slick for the marble and tile floors where I work when wet.

I think it was Chris that said he was not fond of the contrast stitching either. I wasn't at first but have come to like them to some extent. Or it may just be that after awhile I have learned to ignore it LOL.

5. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

[​IMG]

I am optimistic about what Nick used. Nothing would wear faster than the soles that they came with originally, at least. Mini lug would work well and look good; I have a Vibram mini lug sole on a pair of MTM dress boots from the local folks mentioned previously (wearing them right now, actually) and they've worn pretty tough.

I might be of a different mind regarding contrast stitching had I known better originally and used neutral polish instead of brown. :embar:

6. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

Looking to add to my collection from eBay.
    Unfortunately there's only one picture available:
    [​IMG]
    Here's the info:
    This is a very high end / quality pair of shoes that are in good condition. All leather uppers and leather soles. Soles and heels are in very good condition.

Would you trust it? The seller has excellent feedback.

7. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

It's nice to see trees and the uppers don't look chewed up or anything, but I wouldn't consider purchasing used shoes without at least seeing the soles and any relevant stamped/printed information inside the shoe.

8. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thanks! Nice.. In the beginning I used AE leather lotion which doesn't darken the stitching. Before I ran out of it I noticed that the Bickmore Bick 4 leather conditioner that I use to treat my Filson bags and gun\fly rod cases bridle leather with is identical. You can pick it up at almost any tack shop and it is a lot cheaper than AE leather lotion. I also use the Bickmore gard more on my AE suede Katmai chukkas and they clean up nicely with a brush no matter what I put them through. Have been caught in the rain twice with no problems too. It is also found at tack shops as a lot of people treat their felt hats with it.

I ordered the McTavish in natural wax today and noticed the Kiowa with mini lug soles was on clearance. Figured I'd add another lug shoe to my collection but they didn't have my size any more. Which means it was meant for me to get at least one of the new boots that AE is releasing this fall [​IMG]

9. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

Thanks for the info.
    I understand wanting to see the soles, but what would the information on the stamp provide?

10. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

The seller just sent me a picture of the soles:
    [​IMG]

I might hold off on this pair as there's another auction ending tomorrow with much better looking soles (see below)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

^^^ Depends on the difference in price. The first pairs looks like it's in good condition with mild to moderate wear. The second pair looks like it was worn once or twice.

12. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

The first pair is ending in 90 minutes and is currently $70 after shipping.

The second pair is ending on Friday and is currently $40 after shipping.

13. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

That's the beauty of eBay. Bid today, lose out tomorrow? How much are you willing to pay?

14. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

I'm not liking the soles on the first pair so I will wait it out.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

The first pair is a factory reject as identified by the FR in the circle on the sole of the right foot shoe.

Get a picture of the bottom of the left foot shoe for the second pair - it too may have the markings of a factory reject (rejects can be marked in more ways than one - FR being one of them). FR is always something to consider .....

16. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

OK, but you should still think about how much you're willing to pay. Call the Shoe Bank and see what the price on a pair of seconds would be.

17. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

With so little wear, I bet the second pair goes for at least $100, maybe even $135. Which leads to the question about why not just pay $220 and get a new pair from Nordstrom?

18. Jigg

Jigg Senior member

Here are a few pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Shoe Bank is selling the Park Ave seconds for $259 which is $40 more than the Nordstrom sale price.

19. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

And Nordstrom has a very liberal return policy . . .

OK, $259 for seconds
    $220 at Nordstrom

This should be the bench mark.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  20. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.