1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

The office doorbell just ringed -- it was USPS dropping off a box for me from B. Nelson. They took a pair of casual AE Wilberts whose rubber soles were completely blown out and got 'em back to me with more durable rubber soles (the $60 treatment) and uppers looking fantastic. I hadn't had occasion to have a pair of shoes resoled before, and I'd like to give my local bootmakers a chance (they have a huge assortment of lasts and presumably the skills and knowledge to do the job right), but B. Nelson did a superb job.

To keep this vaguely on-topic, the Wilberts have been a solid weekend/business-casual shoe for me for the last few years; just wish they didn't have contrast-color stitching.

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

$125 gets you the JR package. For those of you not familiar with JR leather, here is a blurb from BNelson's website:

Joh. Rendenbach (J.R.) leather:

Established in 1871, the J.R. process takes 9 to 12 months to complete. Thereby making it the most superior leather available today.

J.R. leather is tanned using the "oak bark" method. The final product is lightweight, hardwearing, tough, flexible, solid, and comfortable. As a result of this extensive tanning process, it has a warm woody color through and through.

A unique gold stamp to ensure its authenticity identifies Rendenbach leather.

I just received back a pair of shell cordovan Aldens restored with the JR package - wonderful ...

3. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

^ 9 - 12 months? good lawrd

4. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Nick took care of not only my Aldens, but also my EGs and JLPs. That's trust. :nodding:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  5. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I don;t think I have ever seen this gold stamp. Is it visible on the sole somewhere? I have 3 pairs of shoes with JR soles.

6. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

You can see the stamp here:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Was the JR upgrade worth it in your opinion?

7. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

That's the tanning process, not the repair.

8. sevenfoldtieguy

Alden and AE use JR leather on their shell cordovan shoes (but not on their calf shoes), but typically without the JR Stamp.

9. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

AE Shell has the JR stamp on sole, not the gold one, but a regular JR stamp.

Regards.

10. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Right now still not sure. I do like the feel of the JR soles better than my other leather soles though. They feel more solid.

11. madeinitaly

madeinitaly Active Member

hello everybody,

i'm new from italy.

also my heeler in italy uses JR and the final result is very good.
    how much does this service cost in your country?

12. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Shoe racks came today after ordering monday. They arent too sturdy, but they look and smell great. Amazing deal for $10, Thanks for the heads up!

Shoe trees (in small) did not come with the shipment, I assume they are out of stock currently... enjoy the pics! Can you name all 8 pairs?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. iloveshoes

iloveshoes Senior member

Are you able to stack those racks on top of each other? Or do they have to be side by side? Might get some if they can be stacked.

14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Is there a prize for getting all 8?

15. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Each rack is one level, the pics shown here are 2 stacked together. You can either just put them on top of each other or use the provided pegs for stacking

16. sammymvpknight

sammymvpknight Member

Last night I added for show trees, a track, and two sets of shoes strings to my cart on the Jos A. Bank mobile webpage (I just about exclusively use my phone for internet now days). This AM I woke up and got the ok from the wife for the purchase (no matter how much money we make, that is the agreement). Went to my cart and they were still discounted, then went to checkout the products, however the prices were not at the discounted prices. So I went to their mobile website again and they were still on sale. I called customer service and after waiting on the line for fifteen minutes, a woman who clearly hated her job answered. I asked her why I was being charged the full amount when the website still has a sale up. She asked me the item numbers. I told her, I don't know them of the top of my head...the shoe rack, two pairs of laces, and four shoe trees. She told me "without the item numbers I can't help you". Ok... I put her on speaker while I looked up the item numbers using my phone. Done. "They aren't on sale anymore". I Told her that on site they were STILL on sell that very moment. "Well they aren't". Then I told her to change the site. She told me "you aren't getting a discount." I told her that I didn't want to do business with JAB any more...I just wanted them to not false advertise because somebody less vigilant will purchase thinking that they are getting a deal and are going to be pissed of when they find out that they were mislead. "Well, the mobile site sometimes takes 24hr to update after changes are made to the main site". Goodbye. Click.

With as many places there are to buy cheap suits I am glad that Jos A. Bank has narrowed my search and saved me some time.

1 person likes this.
  17. iloveshoes

iloveshoes Senior member

is this sale still on???? why did I not jump on this? anyone know of coupon code that works. I tried FATW10 and SHIPJULY and it seems its not working anymore :brick:

18. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

SF, I come to you seeking advice regarding blue Neumoks for "business casual"

Typically I will wear dress pants and a button down, with either cap toes or wingtips. Ties and suits, maybe once a week, if that. Anyways, more than half the people in my office are not exactly "up to speed" with fit, style, etc... so for Friday's, I'm not too concerned how "business casual" I am. I would like to put together an outfit where I can use my Neumoks. I would be taking the red laces off and putting the tan ones on.

I do know that all of my pants are definitely too dressy to be worn with Neumoks. I have some dress shirts that will work, so I guess I am looking for some pant suggestions as well as what color belt I should be wearing. I don't own khakis/chinos, so I guess that would be a good start rather than dress slacks.

Thoughts?

19. sevenfoldtieguy

Yes - that is true - my AE shells have that "non-gold" JR stamp too. I was referencing the "gold" JR stamp as that is the JR stamp referenced in the post to which I was responding..

20. jmartinjr8

jmartinjr8 New Member

Hello,

Long time AE fan, though I only own one pair. With the upcoming nordstrom sale I am looking to add to my collection. I wear a 9e in the McAllister (the shoe that won me over to AE). I was wondering what this might translate for shoe size for the following:

Kenilworth (how do people like this shoe)
    Delray
    Norwich

Thank you very much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.