1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

The PA, Fifth Ave, and Strand, in my experience, fit very very similar. All, of course, are on the 5 last.

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

+1, as long as they are all the same material (e.g. calf) they should have a similar fit.

3. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Congrats - they are beautiful

4. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

thanks for this info, I am having the exact same issue as[FONT=verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif] seven7seven.
    - I ordered a 9.5E in the park ave - width was good but the length was too long & heel was loose
    - received a 9E and the length seems to be a tad too short but width is good & heel is good
    - I plan to try a 9.5D tomorrow, would you recommend anything else?
    [/FONT]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  5. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

Is the AE recrafting service worth not having cheaper work done by local cobblers?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/RecraftingView?storeId=1&langId=-1&catalogId=40000000001

I believe the standard service charge when I first got my strands was 100 dollars...now it's 125? Heel replacements for 50 dollars? Seems like most cobblers charge between 20-30 for that. Full heel and sole replacements are usually around 65-80 dollars as well compared to the 125 AE asks.

Going local seems like the much better option except you won't get the uppers refinished and you void the chance to get recrafting in the future if the sole is worked on. I'm assuming AE still allows recrafting if local cobblers do heel replacements? Thoughts and opinions?

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Looks like the code 12SUMMER is still valid today for Amazon. The Elgin is no longer even listed on the AE website. However most sizes still show up as in stock on Amazon. Certainly worth a try if your still interested in them.

7. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

$125 is a bit too much.

People were buying pairs of new AE 2nds for $100 last month. PA, 5A, Strands,...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

AE is interesting because some can be had at the re-craft pricepoint. However, there are a couple of instances where AE recrafting can be helpful. First, if the shoe is a certain style that is not regularly sold. Second, if you don't have a trusted cobbler who will do the job correctly, sending them back to AE ensures proper re-sole, in addition to (and probably most importantly) having it done on the actual last of the shoe.

Shoes can be tricky sometimes and if there is a shoe that fits well, has a footbed that has molded, and leather that has a nice patina, then recrafting is definitely the way to go.

9. mythage

mythage Senior member

$100 per pair for seconds? When was this and is the promotion still on?

10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

It was a couple months ago. It usually happen once or twice a year (not exactly sure) done by the factory. Promotion is not on anymore.

11. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I've got obscenely long and narrow feet. I'd already resigned myself to buying nothing but Allen Edmonds shoes for pretty much the rest of my life, aside from the odd vintage pickup on eBay.

Since the office is business casual and I have the basics in calf (black PA, brown Byron, and a clunky Wilbert for weekend use), thanks to all of you goons on this thread it looks like I'll be perpetually saving up for the next pair of AE shell. It's just so hypnotic...

Nice-looking Strands, sir!

12. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Personally, I wouldn't send them back. I figure there are going to be a few wrinkles after I wear them once. But they are your shoes and you need to be happy with them. BTW - great looking shoes. I think the brown Strands are way under rated. I know the walnut Strands are pretty, but I don't think enough people give credit to the brown Strands. Chris

13. triumphman

triumphman Senior member

Thank you 7foldtieman!

So I presume your Alden Barrie last size is in 9 D as well, same size as AE 8 Last?

14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Agreed

15. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

I've been on the fence about this myself. It's tough to justify $125 to recraft when many of AE's 2nds go on sale for around that price one or twice per year. My Strawfuts will probably need a recraft in another summer or two, and I don't like the idea of paying $125 to recraft shoes I only paid $130 for in the first place. That being said, I've seen what a $50 resole gets you from my local cobbler, and I was not at all impressed with the results. So my opinion would be that you need to do your homework on the cobblers in your area. All resoles are not created equal. As for me, I'll be forking over the extra cash.

16. sevenfoldtieguy

Perhaps I could have been more clear. That is what I meant by "each", i.e., I take 9D in each last: Alden's Barrie and AE's 8 last.

17. sevenfoldtieguy

Use BNelson Shoes in NYC. The owner, Nick Valenti, is wonderful to work with. :nodding: For $90 (standard resole and restoration) you will get as good a resole as AE (perhaps better) and the turnaround time is only 2 to 3 weeks. For $125 you will get the best resole and restoration on the market - with the same turnaround time. Free shipping both ways for either package. For all intents and purposes, BNelson is the go-to cobbler on the Alden Thread, regardless of where one lives in the US. I have used BNelson many times, for Aldens and AEs.

18. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

If you get a re-sole from a local cobbler, are they attaching the sole the same way they would at the AE factory? Does it involve using the Goodyear welting machine?

19. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

If they do it right, then yes it should still be goodyear welted when it returns to you.

20. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

Wow BNelson seems like a much better deal...and if ppl trust them with their aldens....hmmm...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.