• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie123

Reaction score

Ah, now I am a little worried about my kenilworths in the mail. I am usually a good fit with the 5, so I ordered my regular size. Maybe tongue pads will do?

Keep us posted with the fit, maybe it's just me :)

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with #3

Sort of "stuffy" shoes for a 29 year old..
Grab some wingtips..
Neumok...Cough cough....Ridgeway...

UPDATE:
I actually stumbled upon some AE Fairfax in Chili (pictured below, with and without my flash) at Nordstrom Rack. Price was $219, but I had some store credit there so I ended up paying ~$150 (but obviously the other 70 bucks plus tax was my own as well from a while back). I know the shoe tends to be somewhat polarizing on SF, but I really dig the style, and I honestly love the Chili color (I love my Chili Delrays). And I really like the Navy pants/Chili shoes look.

Plus, I haven't seen many 29 year olds rocking Fairfaxes.

smilelouis

Reaction score
question:
are Brooks Strand or 5th ave look the same as AE strand or 5th ave?
what about the quality? are they as good? i know the outsoles are different.
many thanks to the one who can help!

delmar

Reaction score
As promised over a month ago, photos of my new cordovan Norwich shoes. Contrast with a pair of Alden chukkas in Cigar shell. I apologize for presenting such beautiful shoes on the water-spotted date-mobile. The AE Norwich are superior to the Alden chukkas. I was kicking myself for not getting the AE cordovan capuchino chukkas during their limited run, so later I bought the Alden's. I don't know if you can tell by the picture, but the Alden's aren't quite symmetrical. The LH shoe has a nice shape, but the RH has a more rounded toe. But the Norwich from AE--perfect fit. symmetry, beautiful color. I haven't taken a brush to them yet, but they looked really nice out in the sun.

mekato1

Reaction score
What's your opinions on the neumok as a casual shoes with jeans and cords/chinos? Also, does the sizing down, going up in width holds true on this unlined shoes compared to PA and strands? (from reading, seems not every models on the same last fit the same), on 5 last, i'm a 9.5e. I'll wear them with thin socks.

Thanks for your help.

DJTraveler

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Vernon? User feedback on ae.com indicates that it runs narrow. If I usually wear an 8.5D, I'm wondering if I should go up a wdith to 8.5E or go up to 9D.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a pair of black Paxton captoe bluchers in my size at the thrift store. Picked them up as I need black shoes for upcoming wedding at the end of the month, but I normally don't wear black shoes.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Vernon? User feedback on ae.com indicates that it runs narrow. If I usually wear an 8.5D, I'm wondering if I should go up a wdith to 8.5E or go up to 9D.

I tried a shoe on in the same last in the Allen Edmonds store. The 10D fit me best. As a point of comparison, I wear a 9.5E in the 5-last. I also have a pair of shoes on the 2-last in 9.5E that are too narrow in the toe box, yet have heel slippage, so I think the 10D would have worked better for me (2 last is very similar to the one for the Vernon).

SouthNarc

Reaction score

Does anyone have experience with the Vernon?  User feedback on ae.com indicates that it runs narrow.  If I usually wear an 8.5D, I'm wondering if I should go up a wdith to 8.5E or go up to 9D.

I run a half size larger in the Vernon over the Strand, but the same width.

delmar

Reaction score
As promised over a month ago, photos of my new cordovan Norwich shoes. Contrast with a pair of Alden chukkas in Cigar shell. I apologize for presenting such beautiful shoes on the water-spotted date-mobile. The AE Norwich are superior to the Alden chukkas. I was kicking myself for not getting the AE cordovan capuchino chukkas during their limited run, so later I bought the Alden's. I don't know if you can tell by the picture, but the Alden's aren't quite symmetrical. The LH shoe has a nice shape, but the RH has a more rounded toe. But the Norwich from AE--perfect fit. symmetry, beautiful color. I haven't taken a brush to them yet, but they looked really nice out in the sun.

I just wanted to add something to my earlier post about the beautiful color of these new AE Norwich shoes. Under indoor flourescent lighting, the Norwich's and the chukkas look almost identical in color--dark brown. But outdoors, in natural sunlight, the AE's look really different depending on the angle they're viewed from--gorgeous. You get some idea of the effect from the pictures. The Alden chukkas look the same, indoors or outdoors.

Ink007

Reaction score
My second pair from the 2 for $200, brown/brown Strawfuts straight out of the box. These shoes fit great and are beautiful in person. So my AE collections as it stands now: natural McTavish, walnut Flatiron, Cambridge brogue and the Strawfuts.

What's your opinions on the neumok as a casual shoes with jeans and cords/chinos? Also, does the sizing down, going up in width holds true on this unlined shoes compared to PA and strands? (from reading, seems not every models on the same last fit the same), on 5 last, i'm a 9.5e. I'll wear them with thin socks.

Thanks for your help.

In my experience, sizing a 1/2 size down on the 5-last holds true. I wear my natural Mctavish with jeans and chinos all the time. They look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads