1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

I'll take them off your hands :)

P.S. Sorry for my uninformative post.

2. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Ahh. That makes sense now.

3. Breedlove

Breedlove Senior member

Saphir Renovateur should work great. Don't even need to use too much.

4. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

Thanks for the comments on my question regarding renovating my shell Macneils.

However, one member said Saphir renomat and a few said renovateur. Which might be best for shell, or are they the same thing? Where should I purchase these Saphir products, KHP?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  5. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

How does that work? Just email them a link to Nordstroms sale and ask for a price match?

6. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

They are not the same. Renomat is for removing the crud built up on the leather. Renovateur is a leather conditioner (you can also use Venetian shoe cream which is a favorite of Nick at Horween).

http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/saphir-reno-mat-cleaner.html

7. Breedlove

Breedlove Senior member

Renovateur is a leather cleaner as well but, more so, is an amazing leather conditioner.

8. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

The Hangar Project sells both. Not sure if you can use renomat on shell.

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Shell is very hardy. Renomat will be fine. I use a finishing cloth with a light dab of turpentine (from Home Depot). Then finish with leather conditioner. However, if there is any doubt, just send the shoes back to AE. Specify refinish only if you do not need new soles, $50.

http://tinyurl.com/6nm6g6z

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Nice pickup for that price especially. I use saddle soap to clean mine and treat with Obenhaulf's HDLP, they are totally water proof now. I found them to be hardly water resistant out of the box. The key is to use thin coats and melt it into the boot completely. It looks like your punch outs may be missing dye and if that is the case HDLP will help fill them in. But if your just using it as a city dress boot then normal treatment should work fine. I use mine as boots, at least the brown CXL ones and the black bayfield I use for dress. Had to go back to around page 150 but found the post where someone used Reno, AE conditioner and chili paste to clean his. It worked very well:

11. evolved

evolved Senior member

I think it's just the flash and the picture (iPhone 4 camera) because I just went upstairs and looked and they don't appear to be missing dye. After some reading I think I may end up using Saphir Reno for a conditioner/cleaner first, and then put a coat of AE's aqua care lotion on there for some water resistance. I'll see how that works, and if it's not satisfactory to my needs I'll probably go the HDLP route. Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  12. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Sorry to resurrect this old post, but I'm very excited about AE possibly offering a navy wingtip boot. Did you by chance catch what last it is on?

13. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Most boots are on the 1-511 last.

14. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

A little shoe care on my shell AE's. The Macneil have been without any care for a couple of months now and really needed some help. They typically see about one wear a week.

I love how well shell comes back with such little effort. I start by brushing to remove any loose dust & dirt. I follow that by wiping down with a damp cloth. Next comes a coat of renovateur followed by a good brushing. I end with a light application of saphir cordovan wax and a couple minutes of brushing.

I'll use renovateur again when they need it, maybe another 6-8 weeks. They probably won't need wax again for a couple months after that.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forgot to take a before picture of the Leeds but they were in pretty decent shape to begin with.

[​IMG]

15. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior member

Love the color. Is this what you use?

http://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-cordovan-shoe-polish.html

16. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

Didn't get much luck in its own thread, trying with AE crew.

-------------

Came across a pretty good deal on a pair of AE Player in black today:
    [​IMG]

How "should" I be wearing these?

Lurking around SF, it seems like the general consensus is that black is more formal, while wingtip/derby/medallion is more casual (correct me if I'm wrong).

So would you wear these with a suit? business casual? casual? or is this style combination something that came out of hell itself?

or am I just over thinking this [​IMG] ?

Thanks

17. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

My initial impression is that you are over thinking the issue. It's a nice shoe. Wear it . . . with anything (maybe not shorts). See how you like it. Leave the deeper planning for later.

18. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

If the soles were black, I think they would look fine with dress pants for work, or anything business casual. Given the style and brown sole, jeans and casual pants most definitely. I could be wrong though, I am sure there are few business casual outfits you could get away with.

19. PunkinDonuts

PunkinDonuts Member

I picked up a pair of black McTavishes at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale today, I'm excited to wear them to work tomorrow. I was tempted to get the Natural color as well, but I ended up getting some dress pants instead. I'm already debating on the Natural McTavishes or the walnut Strands for the next sale!

20. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Walnut Strand, that's not even a question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.