Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plei89

plei89 Senior member

For $40 it's a really good deal. I can easily fix those up to look new with some conditioner & polish

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Any recommendations for an alternative to the A&E Clifton? The shoe just kills my feet by end day compared to my Leeds in the same size and width. Remember someone saying the last of the Clifton is suppose to be less sleeker than that of the Leeds. Really love the Leeds model, I believe my next pair of shoes would be the Leeds in cordovan black. Still looking for a staple black cap toe, and doesn't need to be part of the A&E line. Really like this guys videos:

3. Jaggs

Jaggs Senior member

I have found that sizing up one width on the 5 last (Clifton) is best. The 5 is a longer, narrower last, contributing to the need for the extra width.

4. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

clifton is on the 8 last

5. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Hey all, need some advice here.

I'm 29, and I have a couple weddings to go to this summer, as well as a "formal" event (graduating from medical school, we have a dinner/dancing event where people either tend to wear slacks and sportcoat or a suit with a somewhat relaxed feel) . . . I'm planning on wearing my navy suit for most of these occasions, but have questions on the shoes. I've never been a fan of black shoes with navy pants/suit, so I've decided my black J&M Melton cap-toes are out of the question. I do tend to like the look of some browns/walnut/etc with navy, as well as burgundy. As such, I've narrowed my shoe selection down to these three (also pictured left to right):

1. AE Lasalle in brown
    2. AE Delray in chili
    3. J&M Melton in burgundy

[​IMG]

I know a split toe blucher like the Lasalle or Delray aren't necessarily everyone's cup of tea with a suit, and in an ideal world I might wear a pair of walnut Strands or something, but this is what I currently have to work with in non-black shoes. I tend to wear the Delrays with navy khakis (i.e. less formal pants) coupled with an oxford shirt for less formal occasions, so I've at least vetted them with navy before. And for a few interviews for residency, I wore the burgundy J&Ms, but feel that a cap-toe balmoral may actually be more "formal" than I'd prefer for these occasions. Like I said, I would actually really like to have either a pair of Walnut Strands or some of the similar colored AE Fairfax or something, but I don't own either of those.

Anyway, what say you all? Are any of them obviously terrible choices? Is wearing a pair of shoes like the Lasalle or Delray with a suit an unforgivable sin? Keep in mind that most of the people I see at these types of events are wearing your typical square-toed Kenneth Cole monstrosities and whatnot, so I'm never sure how much the more "subtle" things matter in comparison.

6. facet

facet Senior member

You said it yourself; most people at those events will be wearing far worse then you. You can wear any of those shoes and nobody will know any better.

7. CJG_NYC

CJG_NYC Senior member

Just because I said I'm excited to wear them in the summer doesnt mean I wont wear them now. It just exciting to have these shoes for hot summer days was my point.

8. BFBFB

BFBFB Well-Known Member

I'd go with #3

Sort of "stuffy" shoes for a 29 year old..
    Grab some wingtips..
    Neumok...Cough cough....Ridgeway...

9. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

I actually saw a pair of strands at last chance here in phx a few days ago
    - it was pretty beat up and not my size so I didn't bite. if I ever see a pair
    of strands again I probably will pick them up.

10. allaboutshoes

allaboutshoes Senior member

11. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

What I can see from the picture, yes, I think they can be polished up nicely. The only thing that can't be fixed is cracked leather or gashes in them. If the scar goes into the leather, they can't be fixed, but if they just are a bit dirty, creased and not well taken care of, I'll put them on my TLC-regime and they would look brand new.

12. asalerno

asalerno Active Member

As mentioned earlier, the memorial sale starts tomorrow - Edward just emailed me a pdf scan of the flyer if anyone wants to take a look. I'm really liking the kenilworth at that price - going to start looking for in the wild photos now.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  13. acushin2

acushin2 Member

I purchased a pair of Cliftons from Nordstroms a couple months ago, and I'm very pleased with them so far. I know they're on the 8 last, but does anyone know which 8 last it is? When looking on AE's website, they list the 108 and the 678 (orthodic). I'd like to know, because I'm considering purchasing the Hinsdale in black and they're on the 108 last; if that's the same as the Cliftons, it should make sizing pretty easy for me. Thanks.

14. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I like the kenilworth at that price also. Anybody have pics of the walnut in the wild?

15. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Why sending them back? Don't fit? I'm keeping mine!

Last edited: May 14, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.