Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsca

dsca Member

So I got in the mail my new Weybridge in walnut colour.

[​IMG]

Everything is good except for the heels, I am wondering if the colour is supposed to be like that?

[​IMG]

My right shoe looks fine with the dark brown stain around the welt just fine but this left shoe has faded brown in various places in the welt. Is there something I can colour this brown again?

2. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

went to nordstroms today and tried on both strand & park ave the 10D seems to be my fit
    I felt bad asking the SA about bringing them out, but I told her straight up that I was waiting
    for the anniversary sale, she gave me a smile and said that was a smart move ;)
    - she informed me that in jun they would be having a quarterly sale or something and that
    she knew that the black cliftons would be on sale for $199, however she had no details
    in regards to the strand & park ave for the anniversary sale.
    - if they do I will definitely be purchasing them through her due to her great customer service.

3. iloveshoes

iloveshoes Senior member

Having worked on the sales floor there I always appreciated what you did. It really is no problem helping size someone even if it is not something they plan on purchasing that day. Good service will always benefit and bring back business in the future.

The sale you are referring to is the men's half yearly.

4. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

As many of you know, I've been trying to decide between Walnut and Brown Dalton boots. However, I've come across a different issue. Now I'm trying to decide if I should get the Dalton at all, or get the Alden 975 #8 shell cordovan longwing instead of the Dalton? I already have the strands and fifth avenues so I was thinking a boot would be my best option, but I really like the alden longwings. What would you all get?

I have contacted AE asking them if they can make me a custom pair of Daltons in burgundy shell cordovan to get the "best of both worlds" but if they can't, I have a dilemma.

5. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Personally, I would go with the Alden longwing, but that is just because I can't figure out when it is appropriate to wear boots. If you have that figured out, then go with the boots, as it will add more diversity to your shoe collection.

6. knezz

knezz Senior member

Waiting to wear them in the summer?:confused: It's spring, you can wear them now. I will.

One addtional point - they feel usual and will take some getting used to. I'm accustomed to the support and the weight that leather gives. These shoes are extremely light. They give quite a bit in the quarters. Not a bad feeling just different.

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Outstanding, that is a very nice collection of shoes!

The Limited Edition Walnut Shells, picked them up last fall and they have great black highlights in them-
    [​IMG]
    As long as you reside in Florida I can state with certainty that it is not a sartorial wasteland. I packaged up the Vinci's yesterday and delivered them to the UPS office to ship back, which was somewhat painful to do. Your recommendation of those shoes speaks a lot, they were everything you said. Not quite American but not exactly Italian. They were the best of both worlds which is rare and hard to do, and your eye picked that up. Having lived and been stationed in several places in Fl. over the years I do understand what you mean though. My mother lives between Orlando and Tampa and we have a regional site where I work in Jax.

8. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

That's how I feel about some English shoes.

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

AE should be able to do it provided the hides are available from Horween. I would look at the cost for the custom makeup and compare it to the price of the Alden. Look at some Alden shell boots as well. You may find the difference between the AE and Alden boots is maybe $150. I'm not sure though. But if your already spending $500 on AE shell another $150 for Alden isn't bad.

10. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

Agreed. I'm going to call AE tomorrow to ask them to make me a pair of Daltons in burgundy shell (the same burgundy shell they make their park aves and kenwood, etc. in). I went to the Alden shop in DC and didn't see any boots I like. I might go to NYC in two weeks (since I'm only a half hour drive away) and see what that Alden store has to offer.

11. maulrat

maulrat Member

I was browsing around Nordstrom's Last Chance yesterday and came across these. Thought I'd share.. Strands that someone had their way with.Heavy creasing and a nasty scuff on the toe area.

[​IMG]

For those that don't know, Last Chance appears to be a place Nordstrom sends the worn merchandise that they accepted via customer returns. Its a bit shocking to see the stuff they take back and try to resell at $40. Ive seen several AE shoes there- pretty much all in crap condition. One exception I found were some Maxfield loafers I picked up for $40 that only have some slight sole scuffs.

12. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Hmmm, I was just at Alden DC. The shell cap toe and chukkas were pretty nice IMO. But you have to please yourself.

13. maulrat

maulrat Member

I was browsing around Nordstrom's Last Chance yesterday and came across these. Thought I'd share.. Strands that someone had their way with.

[​IMG]

For those that don't know, Last Chance appears to be a place Nordstom sends the worn merchandise that they accepted via customer returns. Its a bit shocking to see the stuff they take back and try to resell at $40. Ive seen several AE shoes there- pretty much all in crap condition. One exception I found were some Maxfield loafers I picked up for $40 that only have some slight wear scuffs on the bottom.

Last edited: May 13, 2012

14. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Personally, I would buy them for $40. They don't look too bad, and with just some lexol cleaner, lexol conditioner, saphir cream and then some wax, they would look good as new. If somebody find any in 8D, please contact me, as I will easily buy them.

15. maulrat

maulrat Member

You really think they could be saved? The pic doesnt show everything- but there are some pretty deep creases, a nasty scar on the toe box, and several nicks/scratched and discolored areas.

For the record, its the only time Ive seen Strands there- or any semi desirable model period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.