Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

There is some truth to that, my first thought is they work well here in Mn. where there is apparently just a few weeks of piss poor sledding during the year. But pretty sure they would also work well in many other places around the country. Jeans, khakis, olive, light grey, tan pants all seem to work well. I still like my shoes to be a bit darker than my pants but am getting better at pushing it out some. At times like going up steps I get a glimpse of them and think of the cowboy look alike, but it is not too strong IMO.

Couple of months ago I was wearing them at work and 2 young and very attractive ladies were coming toward me in the skyway and when they were next to me one of them looked me in the eye and said in a deep husky voice Hi there. When she was only a step or two behind me I heard her say to her friend that now she was going to have to ask her husband for sex when she got home tonight. I realized then that they can add strong masculinity to the over all appearance, especially if the rest of your outfit has a power look and feel to it.

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I have those brown Cliftons. One of my favorite shoes, and one I consistently get compliments on, especially from women.

3. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Very nice collection! Thank you for sharing. I like Macneils very much also. How do the Sanford's and Lexingtons differ?

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have been looking at the Townley's also. They look great in that brown. They had them in collection in 2010 or 2011, but they had the mini lug rubber soles. I have not seen the leather soled version - and I like the leather soled version they have on close out better.

Being a blucher, they remind me of the Sanford without the perforations. I wear the same size in the 5 last (McAllister) and the 1-511 last (Shelton). So I would think you would be OK with an 8.5E.

Chris

5. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Sanfords are on the 7 last. Lexingtons are on the 1. Same basic design though.

6. iloveshoes

iloveshoes Senior member

Haha nice!

Were the daltons the walnut or dark brown?

7. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

In what part of the country do you live? For some reason I thought you were north. I know what you mean about the layering. I much prefer the cooler months for dressing. I can't stand the heat.

As to your quandary, I can relate. I'm a big fan of boots outside of May to Sep/Oct (which leaves me plenty of time). I'd wear the Dalton with just about everything short of a suit (and I even think it is do-able with a suit...just not me). I wear wool trousers, SC and tie about 75% of the workweek. What I like about the Dalton (and Macneil & Leeds) is that they can work during the workday and at night when traveling. In terms of versatility, the dark brown wins out over the Walnut (in my book).

My problem is that I want to wear boots year round but I can't bring myself to wear boots when the temps start to rise.

8. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

I don't know about the walnut strands. I hope they do have them on sale.

I feel bad having the SA bring out a bunch of different shoes sizes and me not buying :embar: . Although I've done it 2-3 times.Gotten into the habit of buying AE shoes on sale.

Do you have a Nordstrom rack nearby? Much easier to try the variety of AE shoes there. That way you get a feel for what lasts work for you. If you have a too wide or too thin foot, I guess regular Nordstrom or the AE shop are your best bet. Easy to return stuff that way if they don't work for you.

9. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

If you actually go to an Allen Edmonds store, I believe they can order the shoes from the outlet center for you, so you wouldn't be wasting their time.

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

This fact will clear up everything for you, I reside in the sartorial wasteland that is Florida. I can count on needing a jacket for about 1 month a year, if I'm lucky. I am thinking I could get away with a chukka or chelsea boot. Although, I am inspired on everyone's willingness to use the daltons with a variety of styles, so I will have to consider it. Thank you.

11. JubeiSpiegel

Thank you, the masculine angle is indeed an interesting one :)

12. ProfessionalM

ProfessionalM Member

Is there a better way to find your AE shoe size rather than going to their retail store? The closest one from me is ~60 miles.

13. JubeiSpiegel

An easier way, sure (they have a sizing print out on their website). A better way, absolutely not...

14. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

What is the preferred color Dalton on SF? I like them both a lot, the walnut Daltons are great because you can see all the detail, however, they look like cowboy boots. The brown Daltons look nicer, but you cant see then details as well. I'll be getting mine on the 31 and I'm still trying to decide which color to get.

15. JubeiSpiegel

This is a fantastic decision to have to make, enjoy :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.