• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just got back from the rack and found a nice pair of brown hinsdale for $219 - anyone have experience with these?  I still haven't found my perfect size/last combo - i wear an 11d in the 5 last (strands) and they are a touch tight, but manageable - I got these in an 11.5d and they actually fit great.  I think these are on the 8 last, it has a euro look to it (at least to me) with a bit longer toe.  I did not think I would like this, but I gave them a shot at the price and I think they are cool.  Thoughts?

I really like my brown Hinsdales - I like the blucher / wingtip combination.
hinsdale2.JPG

You are correct - the 8 last (108 last not the 678 last). Same as the Parkland, Vernon, Delray, etc.

Chris

PK35216

Reaction score
bump

Last edited:

bucksfan

Reaction score

I arrived at a quandary just recently, while I was shopping at the Allen Edmonds store today. I do like to dalton boots, but let me ask everyone this, what praytell does one wear the daltons with? I can only really fathom wearing them with jeans, for a borderline cowboy look. That can't be it, can it?! :confused:

Jeans, chinos, blue wool slacks with cuffs, green wool slacks with cuffs....

I think that's what I wear mine with mostly.

PK35216

Reaction score
I arrived at a quandary just recently, while I was shopping at the Allen Edmonds store today. I do like to dalton boots, but let me ask everyone this, what praytell does one wear the daltons with? I can only really fathom wearing them with jeans, for a borderline cowboy look. That can't be it, can it?!
confused.gif
You might have seen this before, but here is my favorite style blog giving some examples on the dark brown Dalton, though I recognize that Walnut is a less formal color.

http://www.thestyleblogger.com/6153/1-piece5-ways-allen-edmonds-wingtip-brogue-boots/

PK35216

Reaction score
I arrived at a quandary just recently, while I was shopping at the Allen Edmonds store today. I do like to dalton boots, but let me ask everyone this, what praytell does one wear the daltons with? I can only really fathom wearing them with jeans, for a borderline cowboy look. That can't be it, can it?!
confused.gif
You might have seen this before, but here is my favorite style blog giving some examples on the dark brown Dalton, though I recognize that Walnut is a less formal color.

http://www.thestyleblogger.com/6153/1-piece5-ways-allen-edmonds-wingtip-brogue-boots/

PK35216

Reaction score
I worry that, sometime down the track, the leather will stretch and they will no longer be a nice tight fit. since I can't pull them tighter than where they meet in the middle.

Tongue pads are super cheap, easy to apply, and comfortable should that happen in the future. I have a shallow instep and narrow foot like yourself and I use tongue pads on my 9D's, whereas I don't in my true size 9.5C when I can find them.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here is my collection of Allen Edmonds:

From top left to bottom right: Burgundy Shell Cordovan MacNeils, Brown MacNeils (from like 15 years ago), Brown Chromexcel Bayfields, Chocolate Daltons, Walnut Sanfords, Chili DelRays, Dark Brown Cliftons, Black Auburns, Black Wendells (made possible from the AE CEO, Paul), Black Lexingtons, Black Sanfords, and Black MacNeils.

Here are the three pairs of MacNeils together:

I'm hoping to add a pair of Walnut Strands, and maybe a custom-ordered pair of Walnut Shell Cordovan MacNeils.

itsmejson

Reaction score
As to what Nordstrom will have, I'm not sure. I had a
baldy[1].gif
moment when someone said that there will be no bwn PA's (or strands?) on sale.
For me, one good thing about Nordstrom is that you can try the shoes one in person and they will special order E or thinner sizes for no charge (when you are being fitted).
do you know if they will have walnuts strands on sale? guess hard to tell since its too early.
- thanks for telling me about the width ordering. that actually was a question of mine.
- planning to go to nordstroms tomorrow to try on a few sizes so i know what size i am

facet

Reaction score

Just got back from the rack and found a nice pair of brown hinsdale for $219 - anyone have experience with these?  I still haven't found my perfect size/last combo - i wear an 11d in the 5 last (strands) and they are a touch tight, but manageable - I got these in an 11.5d and they actually fit great.  I think these are on the 8 last, it has a euro look to it (at least to me) with a bit longer toe.  I did not think I would like this, but I gave them a shot at the price and I think they are cool.  Thoughts?

Those are great looking shoes. Just enjoy them and don't think twice about it.

PK35216

Reaction score
McAllisters in Shell Cordovan. Ebay pickup from last year.
Brooks Brothers "Fifth Avenues" in Walnut. I wore them today for the first time. Very comfortable as I expected with the Poron insoles and Vibram?? rubber soles. I used AE conditioner/cleaner last night and again tonight after getting home from work. When my AE chestnut polish comes in a few days, I will apply a little to see if it lessens the burnish streaking on the toe of the right foot shoe (left in picture).

iloveshoes

Reaction score

So here is my collection of Allen Edmonds:

From top left to bottom right: Burgundy Shell Cordovan MacNeils, Brown MacNeils (from like 15 years ago), Brown Chromexcel Bayfields, Chocolate Daltons, Walnut Sanfords, Chili DelRays, Dark Brown Cliftons, Black Auburns, Black Wendells (made possible from the AE CEO, Paul), Black Lexingtons, Black Sanfords, and Black MacNeils.

Here are the three pairs of MacNeils together:

I'm hoping to add a pair of Walnut Strands, and maybe a custom-ordered pair of Walnut Shell Cordovan MacNeils.

Very nice collection. Love the color on your cliftons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads