1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Paging @watchidiot ?

2. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I'm flattered for the nomination! While I don't post here often enough anymore and like PC have started to wander off into other brands too, I'll gladly start off the thread. It's my way to give back to the community that started this addiction and left my kids w/o their college funds.

There's going to be lots of information left behind in this thread, mostly from guys like ColdIron, MWS and GOP, sexy shell pictures from Mdubs and awesome eyelet MTOs from Blaster. I hope that the new thread can be at least a 10th as good as this thread.

So gents, apart from a link to this thread and the MTO thread, what info would you like to be available in the new thread?

Lastly, I'm not a native english speaker so please forgive any spelling or grammar gaffe here and there.

1 person likes this.
  3. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

My preference is the cognac.

4. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I went with the Cognac (my pics here post #69977), if I read through the forum correctly, slight preference for the Cognac around here. Though, I wouldn't mind a pair in Tan, hmmmm....

5. Watchman1

Watchman1 Senior member

Gentlemen,

A little bit of AE and Horween Cordovan Excellence on this Friday Evening:

[​IMG]

Happy Friday!

4 people like this.
  6. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

I have both, and while technically the Cognac is more versatile, I find myself reaching for the Tan a little more often. Just pops a little better and it's really a gorgeous shade. Frankly you can't go wrong with either. J

7. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I own both, and prefer cognac for overall flexibility. The light welt/sole of the tan is really cool, but is harder to dress up than the more versatile cognac IMHO.

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]
    (I've cleaned up the tan pair a bit since this pic...)

8. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Well stated M, you could pull off the cognac with wool slacks if you had to, for example, but harder to do with tan. J

9. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Lasts and fits info
    Seconds and Shoebank
    Customer service experience/excellence
    quality issues
    catalogs and models (past/present)
    when regular sales usually happen (rda, etc)
    coupon codes
    current mto (when/if available)
    shoe maintenance product info
    company history
    what is made in usa (versus Dominican Republic)
    insoles (ie the new poron vs the old)
    soles (leather, dainite)
    features of the higher ranges (independence)
    basic pricing info (ie firsts, boots, shell, clearance, etc)
    stores and shipping info
    a little about the ceo

Thats off the top of my head. You can always edit/add to the first post. I'm sure I missed some stuff but that would be a good start. The linking to post info would be good too if you can find the posts in the old thread. I know it can be a lot for a new person to absorb when they come for information only to be bombarded by lines and lines of talk about lasts.

2 people like this.
  10. MichaelKnight

MichaelKnight Well-Known Member

Thanks! Would the Tan work better for khakis and lighter chinos? I'm not great with color.

11. misterellington

misterellington Senior member

I would also add “Heads-Ups” for where bargains can be found. (i.e. outlets and so on) I've put up pictures and given prices and where great models can be found for a pittance, and some of us have had fellow SF-ers hip us to great shoes at off-the-beaten-track spots and gotten some awesome items that way. (Thanks again Neo for the heads up on those $99.00 Merlot Franciscans!)

2 people like this.
  12. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

See I knew I missed something.

Other outlets/ places to find AE (nordstroms, bcf, etc)

1 person likes this.
  13. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Welcome to the club ;)

For me, the tan works really well with khakis and terrific with jeans, but the cognac is just as good or better with those and great with gray and other color chinos too. I think they read a little less casual/more sophisticated than the tan too...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  14. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Damn it, why did you have to post that picture :) I had forgotten about them. Now I need to find myself a pair and they are sold out in my size.

15. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I think the cognac Dublin McT is a gunboat LWB trapped in an oxford's body.

3 people like this.
  16. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I'm pretty much on board with the others in that id definitely get the cognac mctavish over the tan. Did want to point out - the tan is really good looking too (main thing would be limited versatility), but many of the 2nds I have seen have one shoe significantly lighter than the other, like to the point where they looked like two different colors altogether. I don't remember seeing that with the cognac.

17. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

AE would have so much more of my money right now if they would have made the McTavish a longwing blucher. As usual, I don't get their (intentional?) clash in levels of formality with the McTavish, as nice of a shoe as it is. They make a rough, reverse welt gunboat wingtip a balmoral, and then make a patent leather blucher like the Mayfair. Does not compute.

1 person likes this.
  18. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

New Leiden in Walnut...... Something seems off...hmm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

Maybe links to the 10/50/100 most upvoted posts in the old threads? Anything that keeps the best of that thread a little easier to find.

@LA Guy

Can the existing MTO thread survive?

When it was new and the MTO program was tabula rasa...that was an incredible creative period that will not reoccur. That was before I got here, but those posts and pictures served as my motivation to significantly expand my own personalized collection. Even those posters here who can go / are going to other makers likely view that era of posts as formative in their current want list.

This (appreciation) thread is huge, has been all over the place, but that thread is much smaller and keenly focussed on the creative experience. It serves as a point of research for many newcomers...

Just curious if that one really needs to go/change? I've seen no mention of this from LA Guy, but there was discussion about whether a new mto thread was necessary given unknown coming restrictive rules.

20. manowar

manowar Senior member

Looks a lot like bourbon to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.