• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious about black cordovan shoes; other colors seem to over time change color (burgundy, brown, etc.) and get lighter with color variations over time.....do black cordovan leather shoes do the same, in other words, do they lighten up to a grayish color with wear? Anyone with experience with black cordovan, could you share your experience? Thanks!

I have an older pair of black leeds and black wingtips from another shoemaker that are 20+ years old and they are still black as can be...also I have a 20-30 year old pair of Florscheim burgundy that are still very burgundy looking.

Picked up an old pair 15-20 yr old Alden #8 and it fairly brownish.... own a pair of older MacNeil's that I think were brown originally that are also sort of multi colored brown now. I really should call AE and see if it was brown or #8 originally

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@tyort1

I like your collection. Very Versatile, you can go from wearing a suit to chino's to jeans etc. I"m trying to do the same with my AE wardrobe. I'm inspired

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since there was some question as to me being just a regular guy, here is a group shot of my AE collection, which all started with the Walnut Strand 2 years ago, and has grown at an alarming rate!

Back Row - Eastport Boat Shoes, Promontory Point Horween Football Leather Boots, Brown Cronmoks, Sand Amoks.
Front Row - Walnut Strands, Bourbon Universities, Burgundy Chesters, Tan Dublin Aberdeens

Nice collection and welcome to the thread/forum!

tyort1

Reaction score
@tyort1

I like your collection. Very Versatile, you can go from wearing a suit to chino's to jeans etc. I"m trying to do the same with my AE wardrobe. I'm inspired
Thanks. I got most of them for great deals. If one is patient it's amazing the prices you can get. For example - Eastports were $139 on Shoebank and a sale period. The Promontory Points were on closeout for $129, the Aberdeens were also on closeout for $127, Amoks were on closeout for $99, I got the Chesters off ebay for $75 (plus $50 for a resole locally). The Cronmoks, Strands, and Universities I paid full price for at my local AE store here in Denver. Love that place.

I rotate the Strands, Universities, and Chesters as my 3 dress shoes (with matching AE belts, of course), use the Aberdeens and Cronmoks as my 2 different color "fall/winter" shoes, the Promontory Point boots as my wet/snow winter boots. The Amoks are unlined and thus are best for spring with light/thin pants, while the Eastports are with shorts and no socks in the summer.

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last week during some rainy weather my black leeds..I really need to find out when these were manufactured as the shell seems much different than recent shell and water beeds off of these things with no marks at all.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@coolarrow , those look dry to me based on the wet patches that make it look like water was absorbed and the general appearance. Try some Saphir neutral cordovan cream.
Do you think that cream will remove the cloudiness? If yes, I'm game.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since there was some question as to me being just a regular guy, here is a group shot of my AE collection, which all started with the Walnut Strand 2 years ago, and has grown at an alarming rate!

Back Row - Eastport Boat Shoes, Promontory Point Horween Football Leather Boots, Brown Cronmoks, Sand Amoks.
Front Row - Walnut Strands, Bourbon Universities, Burgundy Chesters, Tan Dublin Aberdeens

Any chance you can post a normal picture without the silly filter?

Beach Bum

Reaction score

Since there was some question as to me being just a regular guy, here is a group shot of my AE collection, which all started with the Walnut Strand 2 years ago, and has grown at an alarming rate! Back Row - Eastport Boat Shoes, Promontory Point Horween Football Leather Boots, Brown Cronmoks, Sand Amoks. Front Row - Walnut Strands, Bourbon Universities, Burgundy Chesters, Tan Dublin Aberdeens
I was thrown off with the format of the post and it being your first post. I take back my comment. Great pic, I have a pair of the Promontory Point in black...wore them today on a cool damp day here in Chicago.

suitntieguy

Reaction score

Since there was some question as to me being just a regular guy, here is a group shot of my AE collection, which all started with the Walnut Strand 2 years ago, and has grown at an alarming rate! Back Row - Eastport Boat Shoes, Promontory Point Horween Football Leather Boots, Brown Cronmoks, Sand Amoks. Front Row - Walnut Strands, Bourbon Universities, Burgundy Chesters, Tan Dublin Aberdeens
those bourbon universities are insane. Great shoe

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thought I’d post these before/after pix of my shell strands getting exposed to rain water.  There was a surprise rain shower as I was getting home the other day. I walked/ran to the house after the bus dropped me off (about 2 blocks). The first pix is immediately after I walked in; I toweled off the shoes when I walked in the door.  The second pix is after the shoes were allowed to dry.  The last pix is after a vigorous brushing and buffing mac session.

Hard to tell from my last pix but there is some cloudiness in the vamp area, which I don’t like.  The toe caps came out great.

I don’t add product to my shell shoes. If there are dry parts I just apply the milky white conditioner. However, these shoes don’t have any dry areas.  I do have some Alden leather defender, but I haven’t applied it to these shoes.

During days where there is a chance of showers, I will wear calf leather shoes, usually with a rubber sole or commando. On days when it’s 100% rain, I’ll wear bean boots.

I’m still looking for shell shoes that will be able to “bead” the water off naturally. When I find them, I’ll eventually resole them with dainite or commando. They will serve as my “shower” beater shoes.

I am, perhaps, going to commit sacrilege and ask if shell can be sprayed with silicone based water repellants like we do on suede. Considering shell boots, but what is the point if I can't wear them in rain/snow?

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am, perhaps, going to commit sacrilege and ask if shell can be sprayed with silicone based water repellants like we do on suede. Considering shell boots, but what is the point if I can't wear them in rain/snow?

They're purdy.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're purdy.

lol

What about Alden leather defender? Have yet to try it personally as it's not easy to find locally, will probably grab a few bottles next time I buy a pair though.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crane puts sno-seal on his 1000mile cordovans and swears by it in his thread. So if you can use that -beeswax- , why not silicone spray?

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol

What about Alden leather defender? Have yet to try it personally as it's not easy to find locally, will probably grab a few bottles next time I buy a pair though.
I use Alden Leather Defender on my shells. Gives them an incredible glow (takes some buffing to get rid of the haziness), but it doesn't make them repel water. However, my shell shoes/boots just need to be dried out and a quick brushing to look good again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads