• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RitchieBro

Reaction score

Just Bought my first pair of AE's. Been saving up for a while and soooo happy!! Strands. Top Dollar. Worth Every Penny

Walnut Strands basking in the morning sun for me too today.

Trader George

Reaction score
Just Bought my first pair of AE's. Been saving up for a while and soooo happy!! Strands. Top Dollar. Worth Every Penny

Nice! They look great! Let me give you one piece of advice, though: don't fall victim to the peer-pressure of shell cordovan on this forum; you will become addicted and there is unfortunately no cure.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Your Shells make me jealous. I still need to get my first pair of shells and dive in.

don't say you haven't been warned for your financial implications, haha!

ae shells are a great way to start, especially with seconds.

LanceM

Reaction score

Proceed with caution. Addiction awaits you.

don't say you haven't been warned for your financial implications, haha! 

ae shells are a great way to start, especially with seconds. 

I'm thinking about picking up a pair of the brown she'll strands next RDA. Hopefully, I can hold out that long.

Ideally, I'd like a brown shell strand with independence lining and maybe the independence sole.

ultravisitor

Reaction score
I was carefully listening to the advice on how to remove burnishing, but since I am not as experienced as many of the gents on the forum here, I am worried that I will either damage the shoe beyond repair or will fail to remove the burnishing.

No offense, really, but you're being a bit ridiculous. 10 pairs? Seriously? There really is nothing wrong with the shoes that you posted a picture of. The stray burnishing that is bothering you so much will likely go away over time with brushing and polishing.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No offense, really, but you're being a bit ridiculous. 10 pairs? Seriously? There really is nothing wrong with the shoes that you posted a picture of. The stray burnishing that is bothering you so much will likely go away over time with brushing and polishing.

Concur. It seems the OP's expectations are out of line with AE's price point.

You'll be wanting the Edward Green or John Lobb appreciation threads...

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found this article pretty helpful for sizing advice. AE thread is a great place to attach this link since most people typically dwelve into AEs as their good-quality shoe investment.

http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashion.../my_take_on_dress_shoes_fit_quality_and_care/

Out of curiosity, when you push your toes all to the way to the end of the tip of the shoes, how much space would result at the end of the heels? 1/2 inch? 1 inch?

Last edited:

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new to me brown shell Jeffersons. Had gotten them to a nice glow until I saw the weather outside today and had to put on my SWIMs which dulled them a little.

tyort1

Reaction score
I was carefully listening to the advice on how to remove burnishing, but since I am not as experienced as many of the gents on the forum here, I am worried that I will either damage the shoe beyond repair or will fail to remove the burnishing. Either case, I'm sure, will ensure that I am unable to return it, especially given the difficulty I am having with my regular sales assistant. Until I get more experience with quality dress shoes, I'm hoping to get a decent pair (the first time) and learn how to take care of it properly. Does regular shoe care strip all burnishing? Does this mean that shoes need to be burnished repeatedly? Shows how much I know.

In any case, I appreciate the advice. I apologize if I am being difficult, but as I mentioned previously, I really don't know what I'm doing and would like to ensure that I do things right with my first pair (I am just starting to build a wardrobe).

By "customer assistant center" do you mean the one at AE corporate or the higher ups at the local store? I believe this guy is the assistant manager, so I doubt there is much chance of going above his head.

Just use some saphir renovateur cream on the shoe and it will remove the burnishing. Apply it with a cloth to the part of the shoe with a burnish and rub it in a bit. This will naturally remove the burnishing. Then apply the saphir to the rest of the shoe using your fingers as this will tend to not disturb the burnishing on the rest of the shoe. It's using the saphir with a cloth that tends to remove the burnishing. I found this out on my own walnut Strands, and also (more alarmingly) on my bourbon Universities.

http://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-renovateur.html

And if you need to re-burnish at some point (as I did), then I highly recommend the Saphir Cream Polishes - Black for the Bourbon shoes, and the medium brown for the Walnut shoes. I focus on the toes and the brogueing:

http://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-pommadier-cream-shoe-polish.html

Plus every AE shoe should get a coat of Saphir Renovateur anyway - it's an outstanding shoe care product and you'll never know how good your shoes can look till after you try it. Apply just a single layer and let it dry for 20 minutes after applying. Brush and enjoy your new found luster.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would recommend most user NOT use Renovateur on your burnished calf shoes UNLESS the desired result is to strip away the burnishing. My formerly heavily burnished walnut Ritledges are now simply walnut Rutledges after a single light coat.

As a cleaning agent for shell, or on black calf shoes, it does work very well.

But for the gentleman who is trying to alleviate the small stray burnishing mark, it should work nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads