1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

I have a few AE's on sale including a black Park Avenue!

2. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

3. manowar

manowar Senior member

Confirmed this with SA at the Jeffersonville outlet - there is no extra 20% off the clearance (closeout) styles. The McGregor is still a killer price at $157 though.... I have a dainite pair on the way.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  4. Nolaman

Nolaman Well-Known Member

Ok, I think i'm going to have to pull the trigger on a pair of Chili Mcgregors. In between chili 2nds with leather sole, or dark chili 1sts with danite. I have a pair in bourbon and wear with both jeans and suits. Does the danite sole make them too casual for a suit (assuming you fine gents would wear them with a suit to begin with)?

5. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

Bellevues are my every day boots through the winter. I like them, but don't love them. They are the only AE boots I've tried, so I'm no sure if I'm just not a big boot guy, or if they are just appropriately priced. I bought them discounted and have worn them a couple of years now. They wear well, so I'm just being neutral, and I would say if you like the style, you'll be happy, but they probably don't offer anything that doesn't meet the eye.

6. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

[​IMG]

Happy Monday everyone! Oxblood Eagle Rivers today. Not the best weather in NYC, but I couldn't resist.

1 person likes this.
  7. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Amazing weather (lots of sun, slight breeze, mid 70s-low 80s) forced me to break my streak of wearing nothing but boots. I decided this weekend that I was pulling out some of the brighter, non-fall/winter colors, if only to will spring into staying. Just had a colleague pass by and say "wow, you're ready for spring." Ummm, exactly! Figured I'd snap another pic to share. I thought the light welt of the McTavish helped round everything out.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. billmeek

billmeek Member

For those with the McTavish, what are you doing sizing-wise? I'm 9.5E on 201 and 333 and 9.5EEE in 511. I know it runs long even compared to other 5 last shoes supposedly, so I'm not sure whether to go 9.5EEE or 9EEE. Thanks!

9. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

As a follow-up to my spring post above... Does anyone have any thoughts or comparison shots of the difference between the lighter and darker brown CXL that was offered in the Kirkwood and Maritime?

I have a blue Kirkwood and lighter brown Maritime - and love both of them (despite the Kirkwoods needing to be sent back once and the Maritimes needing 4 tries to be right). Was going to pick up a Kirkwood in brown and wondering if the lighter brown is worth the extra $30-35.

Thanks! Here were the light brown Maritime's (and my pale legs) making their first trip out into the sunshine.
    [​IMG]

10. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I think many here would recommend you size down. I don't think you would need the 9.5EEE. Is 9.5EE an option?

I think it depends on how the size/lasts you mention above fit. For example, I wear 9D across almost all my AEs (Gobis 8.5D, Rogue 8.5D or E, Kirk/Mari 9B, Carlyle 9E, LBs 9E, and Shakers 9.5D are the outliers - but some of this was based upon availability and planned sock wear) - but my 5-lasted shoes are on the smaller side of 9D.

My McTs fit comfortably (with the V gap closed almost all the way) in 9D. Similar to my Black Hills, but looser than Bleekers and Kenilworths (all 65 bluchers). All my 9D 201s fit wider and with more volume.

Hope this helps.

11. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I take same size as my 65 lasted bals...so 12eee in 65 lasted bal and 12eee in McTavish...I take 13E in most 511 shoes

12. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

13. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I wear 8D in my Daltons (511 last) and 8D in my Sauk Drive's (201 last). Both fit excellent, but the 201 has more volume in the toe box. Not an absurd amount, but noticeable and I actually prefer it.

When I got my McTavish, I sized 8E in the Strand (65 last), and sized the same (8E) in the McT (65 last). My fit was the same in both, except I could get the V-gap to close better on the McT's. The V-Gap on the Strand was still very much acceptable.

I did not find that the McTavish ran long compared to the Strand at all (at least on the interior). The double sole does give it the appearance of a beefier shoe.

Edit: I think if I were you, I would try the 9.5E in the McTavish, based on you experience with the 201. You may end up swimming in 9.5EEE. 9.5EE might be your best fit, but I don't think thats an option. If not 9.5E my next try would be 9EEE.

14. pmestrad

pmestrad Senior member

Anyone have any experience on the linen carlyles?
    [​IMG]

Thinking of getting them from the shoebank, but $150 seems steep for linen shoes so just thought I'd get some opinions if anyone owns them or has seen them in person.

15. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Just to confuse you even more...I'm wear 8.5E for the Rogue (201) and 8.5EE for the Strand and Park Ave (both 65). I found the McTavish to be longer and wider than the other 65 last offerings. The 8.5E McTavish was the correct width for me but I felt it to be a tad too long as I experienced some heel slippage. I went down to 8E and it fit much better.

My feet are on the wide flat side and I have shorter toes so maybe that's why my experience was a bit different from others who have posted. Good luck!

16. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Please talk me out of McTavish or McGregor :) The wingtips that already have:
    1. Walnut Madison Park
    2. Brown Aberdeen
    3. Chili grain MacNeil
    4. Burgundy MacNeil (will be purchasing)

5. Dark chili Dalton
    6. Brown Long Branch

Thanks!

17. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

I'm 9.5D on the brannock, but 10D fits me perfectly on the 65 last (Black Hills, shell Cambridge with no v-gap, shell Strands like they were crafted around my feet, and McGregors being suede slightly loose). When I first got my McTavishes in 10D, I was quite surprised. I did not find them to run long at all, but I must have high-ish arches, because there was a v-gap with them! I chalked in up to them being the thicker rough leather and it took a few wears for them to break in to feeling like my regular fit. I have not tried the 201 nor the 333 though.

18. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Paging @csmitty please pick up the white courtesy phone. I think he got a pair last summer. I'm also interested, and hey they're on sale now, but I also am trying to be on a budget this year... :embar:

19. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Thanks guys, they are darn comfortable too...

20. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Nope, I've got both and like 'em.. That does seem to be a lot of wingtips though. Nothing else floats your boat? PTB? Captoe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.