• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odradek

Reaction score
Does a Poron insole affect sizing.

I have two pairs of AE Brooks Brothers shoes with the Poron insole, MacNeil and Shelton, and since I'm in Europe and far from any AE store, they were bought with the aid of the print out size guide from the AE website. Both 8.5D.
Both fit very well, and in the case of the Shelton, maybe a little snug.

A few months ago I bought another pair of MacNeils, (or Schautals, as I later found out they were), also 8.5D, but with the regular AE insole.
These are a much more roomy fit.

Now I've just taken delivery of a pair of second hand Sheltons bought from ebay.
8.5D again, but almost too big. I can see myself buying insoles for these.

Does the Poron insole really affect size like that? Or is that just some variation in manufacture?

One reason I ask is that I have a third pair of Sheltons, which I bought back in the summer from the Shoebank, and had shipped to my sister-in-law in the US. She's finally gong to bring them over to me for Christmas.
Question is, if it were possible, should I try return them for a 8D?

Is that simply out of the question given the time that's passed?

Some photos of the two pairs of Sheltons. Both 8.5D.
The tan with brown saddle are the Brooks Brothers ones, which fit well, though that V hasn't closed as much as I'd like in the past 18 months I've owned them.

The all over brownish ones are second-hand AE. Bought as an experiment. I plan to strip them and re-colour them.

And, unlaced, with my toe pushed forward as far as I can...

Trader George

Reaction score
My first AE shells, brown PAs, came in last week. Tried them on in the store, they fit fine. This morning, on the carpet, I noticed significant squeaking. The heel is definitely where it is located, my foot rubbing on the inside of the shoe. There is a little bowing, which isn't a problem with any of my other five last AEs.

Any ideas? The heel slipping is not a deal breaker, though it may be if wearing them all day, but the noise is. I literally couldn't wear them to work. I'm leaning towards taking them back and maybe exchanging them for a pair of calf plus another pair. I bought them during the RDA ($550) sale, I wonder if I could get the sale price on an exchange.
If Tampa's advice doesn't help, AE will definitely honour the same price for an exchange. I've done it several times. I once had a pair of black shell Leeds I had gotten for around $550 due to an in-store sale around June of this year. I did an even exchange for another pair of shells several months later with no problems.

Hope this helps.

tampatravel

Reaction score

recent MTO? in need of cream already? Shine looks alden-esque, great job

These aren't MTO. They were a SMU for Germany that ended up at a AE store in Cleveland. Some enabler on here said they were there at $299 and that's how I bought my first pair of shell.

This pair of shell tends to be a little dryer than some of my Alden shell.

catlettsl

Reaction score
3608821830994d3e108fd8eb622a0d75.jpg

Ready to pull the trigger on a pair of 5th Aves....not sure which color to go with. The Drk burnished chili or Brown? Both are versatile but does one color say something that the other wont. I can only assume the Brown is "more" dressy or formal than the Drk burnished chili.

What is your advise guys....thanks

Trader George

Reaction score

Ready to pull the trigger on a pair of 5th Aves....not sure which color to go with. The Drk burnished chili or Brown? Both are versatile but does one color say something that the other wont. I can only assume the Brown is "more" dressy or formal than the Drk burnished chili.

That's a tough one, but I'd probably go with the chili just for the fact that there are other "dressier" shoes out there. Both colours can be dressed both up and down, but I think you'll get more use with the chili rather than the brown in regards to the casual side. Regarding the dressy side, I personally feel both would be a good option. That being said, I'd go with the chili.

Also, to everybody who is looking for shoe trees, JAB has them for $7.50 with free shipping today and tomorrow. I'm going to go into my local JAB store and try to get a few for $7.50 today, but last time I tried to use an online sale in-store they got all fussy. Luckily I know quite a few of the crew members pretty well.

jubu

Reaction score

I actually purchased a pair of the Dk .Chili Burnished 5th Aves during the last RDA sale and loved the burnish. Much darker than I expected, which helps to put it more into the "dressy" realm. The toes were nearly the color of the dark brown. Unfortunately, I had to send them back due to some things I was unhappy with, but hope to get to new pair in soon!

kentyman

Reaction score

kentyman

Reaction score
Does a Poron insole affect sizing.

Consensus is yes. And I personally noticed the same when trying BB Sheltons on in the past.

That said, I like the V on the left over that closed V on the right.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For people in Atlanta . . .

YOU'RE INVITED
Friday, December 5th from 12-6pm
Allen Edmonds is giving away three FREE pairs of shoes during the Pearson's Corner Grand Opening Event. Join us and you could win a pair of boots, golf or dress shoes. Excludes cordovan, exotic and custom shoes.
Plus, enjoy light refreshments, tour the store and shop our selection of classic men's shoes, belts, apparel and accessories.

Event Location:
Pearson's Corner
3072 Early Street - Suite 102
Atlanta, GA 30305
404-665-0149
[email protected]

Hours: Mon-Sat 10-8 & Sun 12-6

arepaberry

Reaction score
I took this lovely photo today. I love how the strands on walnut look against any tone of blue. It's just breathtaking. Perfect weather too in Orlando, or how I like to callit Whorelando.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've just recently started using Saphir for wax polish and I find it very difficult to get a mirror shine compared to the AE caranuba wax. 

The saphir one is softer for sure, but do you use the same method for Saphir as AE? 
I think I can achieve the same level of shine with both waxes. When I say the AE wax is hard, it's unusable. I would need to put it on the stove or torch it somehow for it to be usable again.

Last edited:

LaffinPoet

Reaction score
Just got my first recraft back and they looked like a rush job done poorly. I had to tell the Rock Center store to send them back. The edge was not burnished / colored and the stitching looked way off. I was not happy when the sales person said that they looked fine... I should have taken a picture of them.

Btw - aren't they supposed to polish them before sending back?

Not sure if any of you guys have had a similar experience with the recrafting recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads