• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a question. I already have black Park Avenues, brown Fifth Avenues, walnut McAllisters and brown Wolverine 1000 Miles.
What would be the next shoe I pick up? Right now I am kinda thinking a penny loafer without tassels, such as:
What do you guys think?

You may also want to consider the Kenwoods. I picked up a pair of Rancourts yesterday from Brooks Brothers as part of their F&F sale.

Don't have a shot of my Kenwoods yet, but will post when I get a chance.

I saw the Randolphs and Westchester instore and they seem a bit clunky to me. I am glad I passed on them in shell.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just a quick comment about the Westchester. I really wanted to love them but I find that the low vamp style doesn't suit me. I'd prefer a higher vamp like the Randolph or Presidio. I have the walnut Westchester and they just don't get any wear...doesn't help that they don't fit perfectly but I've decided I don't like the style enough to get them stretched a hair to make 'em work.

Sadly they sit relatively unworn in shoe bags in the closet. 11D if anyone's interested. I'd sell 'em cheap as they were 2nds to begin with.

I've been closely following the Rancourt site and thread. I'm really liking some of their options.

I would also like to get an AE penny loafer, but none of the ones mentioned fit me properly. I might take a swing at the Parkland on their website, it looks pretty sweet to me. Does anyone have fit experience on the Parkland?

iloveshoes

Reaction score
Just ordered the strawfuts in the brown combo's as well as the players in white suede. I was hoping to get the Players in the dark chocolate suede but they sell out fast. Looking forward to getting them, just hoping these seconds look good.

PK35216

Reaction score
I just received my Brooks Brothers Walnut "Fifth Avenues" in 9.5C with the poron insole and partial rubber sole. 25% off with friends and family sale, and a $20 discount for my birthday month gift card (opened an account). Hopefully, I will wear them tomorrow and let you know how they feel. From trying them on in the store, I think they will be very comfortable, even more so than my standard 5 last park avenues, fifth avenue in burnished brown, and walnut strands.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^
How do the Malverns look?

here we go: 2nds, but I can find no noticeable flaws. Very happy with AE right now. Toe box could be a bit looser, but not at all uncomfortable.

IMG_0322-1.jpg

IMG_0321-1.jpg

UglyJoe

Reaction score
here we go: 2nds, but I can find no noticeable flaws. Very happy with AE right now. Toe box could be a bit looser, but not at all uncomfortable.
IMG_0322-1.jpg

IMG_0321-1.jpg
Is that the Brogue suede? Gotta a pair on order myself...

Jaggs

Reaction score
My small collection of 13A/B AEs. Nothing too exciting, as my taste is rather conservative, but enjoyable none the less. The black Cliftons are now clean and will find themselves on eBay soon, hopefully to be replaced by a medium brown pair of C&Js. I love the suede Byrons, stumbled upon them on eBay with only a handful of wears to their name and they fit like slippers.

Last edited:

Cedric

Reaction score
Which models?? ^^ i see Strands, what are the rest?

I got these Hales from the 2/$200 sale:
hales.jpg

Loving them so far. 2nd time this week I wear them. They were 1sts. I was going to wait for the Nordstrom Park Avenue sale, but these are very similar. What's the difference? Maybe I'll get the PAs in bwn when that sale rolls around.

Which model is this?

Last edited:

spitshine123

Reaction score
The Malvern is a weird one on the 1 last, it was too tight for me in the toe box and I returned it. Going down in size and up in width had too much heel slippage. But the Shelton, Leeds (shell & calf), Wilbert (brown & black), Dalton, Bradley, Bayfield (brown & black) all fit me fine in the toe box. However my Shelton's are older and someone posted not long ago that he had replaced his older Shelton with a newer pair and the newer pair was tighter in the toe box. So I think at least some of the #1 last shoes are going to vary, depending on the model. The Malvern is definitely the tightest toe box on the #1 last that I have seen. Ordered the Katmai in the current sale and they should be at the house tonight, my main concern is that they are modeled too closely to the Malvern in fit.
I just got my burnished brown Malverns as part of the 2 for $200. Not marked as seconds and no flaws, but it seems like someone may have tried them on. In terms of fit, I consider the 5 last perfect. These malverns are a shorter and are a little bit tight on the pinky toe side, but it doesn't really bother me because the leather is much softer and more forgiving than the 5 last bals that I'm used to. I'm sure after they break in, these will be super comfortable, and will shine up great also with the clean round toe

reydogg23

Reaction score
Cedric are you serious? He says they are Hales in the post, for crying out loud.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really, really struggling and getting frustrated with AE sizing, in particular the width measurements, which don't seem to change as they should.

Earlier I posted a few pictures of my 10D Park Aves which I thought were too close at the uppers. Because I knew it'd annoy me and I was worried that after a bit of wear I wouldn't be able to do them up tight enough, I ordered some 10Cs. The 10Cs don't seem to be any narrower where the uppers meet at all. They don't even feel much narrower (except in the toe). This is despite the fact that both my older 10.5B and 10.5C Park Aves (which should be the same width as a 10C and 10D respectively, at least as I understand it) both have uppers that are about the right amount apart.

Now I don't know where to go. Keep these, or return them for a 10B. They are starting to get a bit tight in the toe box which makes me reticent to go narrower.

There just seems to be absolutely no rhyme or reason as to the width of these shoes. And every return is costing me $70 from Aus :S

Older 10.5B Park Aves (tongue pad on right shoe):

Older 10.5C Fifth Aves (tongue pad on right shoe):

Brand new 10D Park Aves:

Brand new 10C Park Aves:

Last edited:

itsmejson

Reaction score
I hit the rack today here and picked up my first pair of AE's :)
- I've worn them around the house, so far I love the fit and feel
- AE Nashua loafers
- seems nice with jeans what about chinos?

ManCrush

Reaction score
Really, really struggling and getting frustrated with AE sizing, in particular the width measurements, which don't seem to change as they should.
Earlier I posted a few pictures of my 10D Park Aves which I thought were too close at the uppers. Because I knew it'd annoy me and I was worried that after a bit of wear I wouldn't be able to do them up tight enough, I ordered some 10Cs. The 10Cs don't seem to be any narrower where the uppers meet at all. They don't even feel much narrower (except in the toe). This is despite the fact that both my older 10.5B and 10.5C Park Aves (which should be the same width as a 10C and 10D respectively, at least as I understand it) both have uppers that are about the right amount apart.
Now I don't know where to go. Keep these, or return them for a 10B. They are starting to get a bit tight in the toe box which makes me reticent to go narrower.
There just seems to be absolutely no rhyme or reason as to the width of these shoes. And every return is costing me $70 from Aus :S
Older 10.5B Park Aves (tongue pad on right shoe):

Older 10.5C Fifth Aves (tongue pad on right shoe):

Brand new 10D Park Aves:

Brand new 10C Park Aves:

I don't see the big deal. I've got narrow feet and wear a B, but the uppers still touch, and I couldn't care less. Thicker socks may give you some more spread, but I really don't see the problem. The only solution for me would be to go to slip-ons, and that ain't happenin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads