• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I do not have much to add as I do not do mirror shine or high luster shine generally but the one thing I absolutely do now is wait a day in between treatments..So if I leather lotion my shoes then I am not putting anything on them for 24 hours...I had a bad hazing form once when applying neutral polish on some boots right after using leather lotion or AE leather cleaner/conditioner...

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am starting to build a proper shoe wardrobe and just bought my first pair of Allen Edmonds shoes (black Park Avenues).  I am now in the market for a quality polish kit, do you guys have any recommendations? Would something like this suffice? Also, what are your feelings on topies and would you recommend them?

I personally prefer Saphir shoe products. I have two tins of AE wax polish and they have dried out. There is no issue with my Saphir ones.

I also prefer Topies on shoes. It will save you from having to resole a shoe. Only 34, but I have never had to replace a Topy on any of my shoes.

I've seen this explanation: A derby has those arching "gooseneck" seams that connect each quarter to the vamp that start at the welt and roll up and forward, then up to the laces.  A true blucher, like the Leeds, does not.  Sometimes a blucher merely has small pieces of leather sewn onto the vamp creating the lacing system.

Thanks for the explanation.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally prefer Saphir shoe products. I have two tins of AE wax polish and they have dried out. There is no issue with my Saphir ones.

I've just recently started using Saphir for wax polish and I find it very difficult to get a mirror shine compared to the AE caranuba wax.

The saphir one is softer for sure, but do you use the same method for Saphir as AE?

waters

Reaction score
Nordstrom has walnut daltons for 318 online right now, but not in my size- usually they do this as a price match- anyone have any idea who they are matching?

jubu

Reaction score

I also prefer Topies on shoes. It will save you from having to resole a shoe. Only 34, but I have never had to replace a Topy on any of my shoes.

Can you guys please recommend some online stores where I can buy some Saphir product, mainly renomat and renovateur?

lemmy127

Reaction score

Can you guys please recommend some online stores where I can buy some Saphir product, mainly renomat and renovateur?

Hanger Project

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Didn't realize these were a webgem. I picked up a pair a few months ago from an outlet. Love the color. Thinking about pulling them off the marketplace.

Interesting that you've got them up for sale. I wore them yesterday specifically to decide if I wanted to put them up for sale in order to thin out the collection. But I think I'm going to keep them.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was just at Shoebank.com and saw that they revamped the site today. Looks much better and they've added belts to the mix. With that in mind, I saw that they had some burgundy belts available. Just wondering how close that color of belt would be to their Oxblood shoes. It's just tough to gauge without seeing them in person and was wondering if one of you shoe hounds had something on hand to take a look at. I'm on a waiting list for some Oxblood Strands and would love to have a belt that's close enough to work. Doesn't have to be perfect, but it does have to be somewhere in the ballpark.

Thoughts?

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was just at Shoebank.com and saw that they revamped the site today. Looks much better and they've added belts to the mix.

Major hat-tip to you, sir. Just scored shell belts in burgundy and black - with the $50 AmEx promo, they came out to $75 each (as opposed to $195 each for firsts).

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Hunter

Reaction score
Nordstrom has walnut daltons for 318 online right now, but not in my size- usually they do this as a price match- anyone have any idea who they are matching?

They also have strands on sale for 288... FYI your local AE store should price match to this...

Last edited:

yanagi

Reaction score
Black Park Avenues are also $288. I got mine for $308 from Nordstrom two months ago, which I already thought was a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads