1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smerf

smerf Well-Known Member

Andy - I've looked at the McGregor wingtipcs and also at the McAllister, it's probably gonna be between those two, but don't know which colour to get, definitely not going to be black though ;)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  2. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

The McGregor is considered less formal, due to the lacing style. These two shoes are built on the same last, but may fit slightly different due to the differences in lacing. You should try on both if possible and see which fits better.

3. smerf

smerf Well-Known Member

mreams99 - it may be difficult for me to try on AE's at all: I live in the UK and it may well be that the nearest AE stockist is in London [​IMG] When buying shoes from Europe I tend to go for a 40F or 39G shoe size ;)

4. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

3 people like this.
  5. misterellington

misterellington Senior member

My God...those are a gorgeous color—all around. The sole color and the calf braiding. That's a shoe that SHOULD exist as a stock option. You put that together well!

6. mosy

mosy Senior member

Right on. With all of the shoe and clothing advice dispensed on SF, this stands as one of the most useful.

2 people like this.
  7. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

You sure those are seconds?

8. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

I have decided I am going to wear mostly shell going forward for business days. Here is the lineup for the rotation:
    Black- Cambridge
    Burgundy- MacNeil and Strand
    Brown- Strand and Patriot loafers

However, for the occasional day that walnut is needed, the Classic walnut calf Strand will fill that slot. I will also have my CXL Long Branch boots for that need.

Do you think this sounds like a good complete rotation?

9. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Today was shoe-care day...
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Probably a conservative captoe bal, black or #8, for the power suits.

11. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

12. smerf

smerf Well-Known Member

I'm just waiting for the shoebank say now, probably will go for a McAllister walnut or burgundy ^^

13. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I talked to the manager from the Charleston outlet yesterday - I had actually met her for the first time last year at Freeport. She said she was going to be moving over to the NJ outlet, which is opening in a few weeks. Damn jealous of you guys - she's super nice, best SA easily.

2 people like this.
  14. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

They're really nice but your Grayson's are nice too.

Guess what I saw at BCF about a week ago - black Shakers, 10.5E, 5 layers of red stickers, final price 34.99. Had to laugh - left them on the shelf for others to walk buy / move aside to get to the converse [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Speaking of Grayson's, wore these last night to a birthday dinner night out......

[​IMG]

Prior to my introduction to shell, I would dye my shoes on a regular basis. These shoes were Burgendy and pretty beat up so i decided to see if I could bring them to life and black is the most basic color application. Definitely required a little more work than dying calf, but I am happy with how they turned out. They really shine up nicely, which doesn't come through in my crappy iPhone pic.

1 person likes this.
  16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Not to take anything away from AE, but there are soooo many options there for quality GYW brands. Why not stick with a maker you can size locally?

This is true. There are a few pairs I'm holding onto sole-ly (see what I did there) because my wife thinks they're cool.

17. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Thank you sir!

1 person likes this.
  18. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

Does not compute. Wife says I have enough shoes already, why would I need more? :D

19. smerf

smerf Well-Known Member

Peppercorn 78 - I always like to try something new and AE is that thing that I guess is missing from my shoe warderobe. I usually buy spanish shoes because English shoes (no dissing by the way) I think are overpriced for their nature. Church's for example is an English AE bought by Prada a few years ago = prices are really high but quality has gone down since the takeover. It's true for many of the companies, with complete respect to their tradition and history imo. You can read about Church's on my blog posts ;)

20. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

I agree with mreams99. I've tried on both and for the McGregor I need to size down by 1/2, while keeping width constant. The McGregor is more versatile and can be dressed up or dressed down to denim. The McAllister is probably a better choice if you see yourself wearing suits/dress pants more often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.