1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bnk0430

Bnk0430 New Member

Just a question, do AE normally crease this harshly? It's my third time wearing them and the right side developed very deep creases.
    [​IMG]

2. shunted22

shunted22 Senior member

How'd you come across the Neumoks? On the reddit AMA Paul said they were going to have some kind of March Madness thing where you can pick different colors.

1 person likes this.
  3. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

The main difference would be the insole and the topy on the soles.

Poron is not leather insole padded with extra foam (that would be the independence lining). From a material and cost perspective, leather is better than poron (naturally occurring vs synthetic, single piece vs bonded pieces).

Comfort wise, it's up to the wearer as some like the cushioning that poron provides while others like the firmness of leather.

As for the soles it's a wash since nonBB strands are available with vtread tap soles anyway.

Going back to the question, IMHO the non-BB strands uses better materials than the BB version. Does that justify a $200 difference for seconds on sale? No. Great score on those BB strands.

4. mrfixit

mrfixit Senior member

they must be confused. call allison at 262-235-6428 and let her know you received the shoes but were never billed and would like to settle up. leave a message if necessary. she will take care of you.

3 people like this.
  5. vmss

vmss Senior member

Yes, my dark chili bleeckers has the same creases. I guess it comes from the glazing/lacquer finish they spray on the leather.

6. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

I don't have that problem with my black PAs... perhaps the right shoe was a lesser quality leather, or maybe it doesn't fit properly. Obviously, creases are normal over time, but in my experience that is quite a bit for just 3 wears.

In case you aren't, make sure to store them with shoe trees in them. That can help

7. MTendo

MTendo Member

True, without e-mail content it's an out-of-context question. I just wanted some reassurance that they weren't going to be silly about it and try coming after me since I won't be able to do anything for another couple of months. It sounds like they're reasonable, so I won't worry about it.

Much appreciated, but after reading Farkle's comment that the squeaking won't go away, I think I will return them to my local store in San Francisco. I already made an effort to settle up by calling them a couple of times and sending an e-mail stating very clearly that I wasn't charged and what I should do. Their response (likely) indicates a misunderstanding, but with the new information I think I'm past the point of wanting to keep the shoes. :)

Yep, that sounds right! I picked them up during that March Madness sale in (IIRC) 2014. They're still a little pinchy in the toes -- I guess the 65 last isn't for me -- but for short wears they're quite nice.

8. WithBBQSauce

WithBBQSauce New Member

I don't have any bluchers in my rotation. I'm looking at the Lexington and Yorktown in walnut. What do you think about either style with chinos, dark jeans and the occasional dress pants and sports coat? Or would I be better off with a McAllister in walnut or bourbon?

9. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

My experience with Daltons is that conditioning completely silenced the shoe after wearing. Out of the box, they sounded like an old rocking chair, and it was fairly constant over a couple of wears. I gave them a good conditioning (Bick 4) and now you can't hear me coming. Had the same experience with a pair of Warwicks, so if that is the tipping point I would not necessarily return based on that.

I've also had very good AE customer service experiences, and would be pretty surprised if they "came after" you.

Your call, obviously - I suppose I'm in the enabler band (who has the t-shirts again)?

1 person likes this.
  10. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

I've had multiple shoes from AE squeak at first but conditioning parts that rub at each other always alleviated that quickly. If you have any inclination for keeping them (they look gorgeous) try that first. If that doesn't help it might be internal and will likely not go away as someone already said.

11. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Senior member

My black PAs creased in a very similar way. My dark brown burnished Fifth Aves and walnut Strands both broke in much nicer.

I don't like the way the PAs broke in at all. They are also the least comfortable of the 3.

12. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

Just got my flyer in the mail today: 20% off all shoes at the Shoebank from Feb. 1st through the 15th.

2 people like this.
  13. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

Just got the new suede Strandmok 2.0 in "saddle" suede in and wanted to share the pictures. I was very excited about this shoe, because I've been looking for an oxford in suede that comes in narrow, and there finally is one.

The shoe is unlined, so it is very light (a little too light if you ask me... I would prefer a lined shoe). Additionally, the white sole definitely gives it a more casual look. I will probably explore changing out the sole.

Ultimately, I have to send them back because the "cap" on the right shoe isn't sewn on straight... but I am simply going to exchange them, because I think they are great shoes for wear with jeans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

Finally got my replacement First Avenues, about 7 weeks since I returned the original pair I got. I appreciate Brian at Eton-Chagrin helping me with the exchange, but gosh dang, Winter's halfway over.

I'll take some pics this weekend when I have some daylight.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  15. mosy

mosy Senior member

Recent pickups at shoe bank. if I had to choose one to keep, which should they be?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  16. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

Wear one of each around like you are right now, see how long it takes someone to say something about it.

7 people like this.
  17. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Wore my Horween English Tan Dublin Leather MTO McGillicuddys (McAllisters with split reverse welt, Dainte soles, and brass eyelets) today.

Almost every time that someone mentions Horween Dublin Leather (calf processed the same way Horween processes horse) someone asks what's the difference between Horween's Dublin (or Essex) leathers and Horween's CXL.

Here's one explanation.......

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  18. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

It happens sometimes, and usually on the right foot. Odds are you put some kind of pressure on that foot you don't put on your left. If you're right handed, it could have been anything; e.g. kneeling down to pick something up off the floor. I also recall at least one other person besides me who thought they may be getting different wear on their right foot from simply driving.

19. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

What is that on the left? Are those brown or bourbon?

20. mosy

mosy Senior member

they are both brown. the left one is the kenilworth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.