1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Shell is far too "rugged" for black tie, IMO. You want something that looks as delicate as possible, like you only walk on a red carpet rolled out by your coachman, lol. Patent leather with a cement or blake stitched sole is preferable, but highly shined calfskin is fine and will serve you more frequently going forward.

Not as long as it's shined well. I would go with Carlisle or Vernon.

AE has switched from a hand-polished finish job to a spray-lacquer, presumably to save time and cost. While some high end makers like John Lobb Paris also do this, I find I don't prefer how AE has implemented it.

Yup. Spray acrylic.

1 person likes this.
  2. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  3. 22busy

22busy Senior member

I have a pair of Sanfords that were seconds. They came with a finish just like this. I tried renovator on them but hasn't helped yet. I find that I avoid wearing these shoes. I've been looking for a replacement so I can give these to Goodwill. They look that bad.

[​IMG]

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Yep, this is why I bought these:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  5. Rob1547

Rob1547 Member

Anybody have any experience recrafting a pair of AE's with some Water damage?

I sent in a pair of loafers with minor water contact. Although I felt the impact was relatively minimal, (a salt-like mark on each toe), I'm being told by AE that the damage is rather significant. I'm not sure how much of this is AE wanting to set expectations low to avoid disappointment. I've had similar water contact on a different pair (minor rain / puddle) and the shoe finish / quality was truly like-new. Unfortunately AE has them now so I can't attach pictures.

Anybody been through this? I'm debating having them recrafted. I'm sure AE will do a superb job as usual, but the agent keeps saying they won't come out much different. I just find it hard to believe. They are offering me 20% off a new pair at full retail price.

Lesson learned, but any input is greatly appreciated.

6. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Here are a couple shots of the First Aves. These will definitely get more coats and a little darker toe in the future.
    My PC Pic o the Day, just prior to picking up coffee:
    [​IMG]

Just started a new "shoe only" instagram account (@dapkicks), so I figured I'd include this shot also:
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

If you can post some pictures it will help us see how bad the damage is. I made the mistake of wearing black Fifth Street boots on a big snowfall day & the streets were salted like crazy, streets got wet & slushy. It was my wife's graduation, and we had to park FAR away from the building, so there was no option but to walk through it. Came home, wiped them down, and woke up the next day and saw all of these salt stains along the sides. Needless to say, the salt just ruined the leather & there was no fixing it.

It was a learning experience (early on in my shoe obsession days) and as @peppercorn78 a pair of all weather winter beaters are the way to go

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  8. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Senior member

A little late to the discussion, but I just so happen to be wearing my black Carlyles today. I actually placed an order for the Mayfair's right as these were introduced, thought about the order I had placed, called back (Earl from the Leeds store!) and switched to the Carlyle. I've worn them to 4 black tie events so far, and will be wearing them to my wedding in September. They take a mirror shine really well, although I actually took most of it off since my last black tie event. These definitely get my vote.

[​IMG]

Didn't get around to posting this yesterday, but my black Dundee seconds came in yesterday. Not surprisingly, there's not a ton wrong with these. Some wrinkling on the outside shaft of each boot, but that doesn't bother me and the fact that it's symmetrical is actually a nice touch. They're 13D just like my shell Dundees, but they actually have more volume than the shell, which I found odd. I wonder if these were the lifted upper of the 2.0, without the Poron insole and Double Butyl sole (both of which I wasn't necessarily a fan of)? In any case, I'm definitely glad I decided to bring black back into the rotation...I forgot how great it can look!

[​IMG]

9. Rob1547

Rob1547 Member

Appreciate your prompt reply. The pictures notwithstanding, I feel as though mine were in the same situation as yours. (Some rain / wet pavement, but salt too.)

Would you take the 20% for a new pair and call it a "lesson learned" ?

10. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

Beautiful color spread, the oxblood and bourbon look fantastic. I'm considering getting the Carlyle myself and I was hoping that you could help me out with your sizing experience. What sizes did you go with to get a good fit with the Carlyle in comparison to the Strand and Park Ave?

11. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

I'm thinking of adding a pair to my casual rotation, which currently consists of the Rush Street and Gobi boots. I'm thinking of either the Strand in Brogue Suede, or the Strandmok 2.0 in saddle suede. Any thoughts on which would be the better choice? I love the Rush Street, but hate the original Strandmok. Does anybody know what last the 2.0 is made on? Any input is appreciated.

12. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

Its a tough call. If it's a model/makeup that you love & want in your shoe rotation, then 20% off for a new pair is reasonable, or wait until the next big sale to possibly get them cheaper.

In my case, I ended up selling my damaged pair on eBay as-is and replaced them with other shoes I wanted more.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  13. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

The 8 Last and 5 last fit me the same. Only difference was that with the 8 last which the Carlyle is on, it had zero break in. I'm wearing the Lasalle right now actually

14. aeyo

aeyo Member

Sounds like I am in for an unfortunate surprise when I go home to check my own black Fifth Streets, which I blithely wore yesterday. For future reference, would a good dose of HDLP have helped, or do you guys reserve that only for grain leather?

Unfortunately for me, I fully grasp the concept of winter beaters, but cannot disabuse myself of the notion that boots are meant to be worn, dammit--especially in inclement weather.

15. BillyMcGee

BillyMcGee Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried a vinegar solution for the salt stains? I had bad salt stains on a pair of cxl boots, and I dipped a rag in a solution of 1 part apple cider vinegar, and 2 parts water. The stain came out right away. The vinegar left the shoes a little dry, but nothing that some conditioner couldn't fix.

16. BL70

BL70 Senior member

Not sure how many of you share this experience. I got bourbon flatirons from the seconds sale and wasn't really happy with the defects. Visible striping on one vamp and leather wrinkles on one toe. If these were $150 I probably would've been ok but at 199 with firsts going for 277 in clearance it didn't seem worth it. So I exchanged them for firsts (from another source) for only 250. Sometimes it doesn't seem like the price difference between the two is steep enough.

17. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

You may want to check out the shoe care thread.
    Several people have had good experience using a mix of water and vinegar to remove stains (salt, beer, etc.).

18. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

I did try a vinegar solution after some research and the stains did go away, but the damage was already done to the leather. They were still wearable, but it just bothered the heck out of me.

19. fieldsheer

fieldsheer Member

Here is my contribution for the day. I've noticed that a few of people, to my poor and untrained eye, don't condition, polish or shine their shoes. I just wanted to highlight how differently a pair of shoes can look with just a quick conditioning, polishing and shine. Here is a pair of Gordons to illustrate the point.

[​IMG]

20. MichaelKnight

MichaelKnight Well-Known Member

How does one get rid of some 'hard wear' blemishes and restore a uniform polish? Do I need to 'strip' the previous polish?
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.