• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trader George

Reaction score
Picking up the brown shell Dundees here at the AE shop, I'm very impressed with them.

jubu

Reaction score

@peppercorn78 I think I paid $35 or so in midtown NYC. I actually taught myself how to hem pants because tailoring is so expensive here! Also, I saw these on the bay today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmonds-Boulevards-Black-Brown-/131344035609?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item1e94b6ef19 I thought the pattern, pattern and perfing on these looked so much better than the current McAllisters. What do you guys think?
Let me know how your experience is with that seller...I saw those on the Bay the other day as well and they even have my 8C size...I'm just curious about the soles and the AE imprint on them...are these old stock? They don't look to be recently produced--but please correct me if I'm wrong.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are definitely old stock. I'm actually not planning on buying them (not my size), but was commenting on the change in design and possibly finishing quality. Also they might be corrected grain, but hard to tell from here

Let me know how your experience is with that seller...I saw those on the Bay the other day as well and they even have my 8C size...I'm just curious about the soles and the AE imprint on them...are these old stock? They don't look to be recently produced--but please correct me if I'm wrong.

sh1ny

Reaction score
I recently purchased daltons in 9D. I am finding that they fit very well with medium socks. However, after an hour (on carpet) the knuckle/bone of my left pinky toe at the widest part of my foot has some pain and becomes sore when walking. Seems to be rubbing/compacting that spot when walking. My right foot is perfectly fine. Is it advisable to go with an E width or size up to 9.5D? Or maybe tough it out to see if it stretches a little near my pinky toe. Trying to stretch it seems inadvisable though. I'm just concerned everywhere else will become too spacious in the boot.

Last edited:

jubu

Reaction score

I recently purchased daltons in 9D. I am finding that they fit very well with medium socks. However, after an hour (on carpet) the knuckle/bone of my left pinky toe at the widest part of my foot has some pain and becomes sore when walking. Seems to be rubbing/compacting that spot when walking. My right foot is perfectly fine. Is it advisable to go with an E width or size up to 9.5D? Or maybe tough it out to see if it stretches a little near my pinky toe. Trying to stretch it seems inadvisable though. I'm just concerned everywhere else will become too spacious in the boot.

I recently had this issue and remedied it by going up half a size and going down a width--that way, the quarters still fit well while giving me enough toe space in the vamp because of the extra length. I think if you went to 9E your whole foot might be slipping around. I would try a 9.5 C/B perhaps?

LanceM

Reaction score
Maiden voyage for my walnut universities today! Tried to put a nice shine on them for their first wear.

RitchieBro

Reaction score
Nice! I love my black University's, I think I may have to pull the trigger on another color.......

NewYawker

Reaction score
Maiden voyage for my walnut universities today! Tried to put a nice shine on them for their first wear.

Those look great! I did not really like the u-wing design when I first saw it but I think it is a fantastic design. Well done.

evolved

Reaction score
How's the sizing on the Universities compared to the Strand (or other similarly lasted shoes)?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How's the sizing on the Universities compared to the Strand (or other similarly lasted shoes)?

Many find the 3 last longer and wider than the 5 last. I size the same, though.

LanceM

Reaction score

Nice! I love my black University's, I think I may have to pull the trigger on another color.......

Thanks! I'm liking the Dainite sole and not worrying about them as much as the leather soles.

Those look great!  I did not really like the u-wing design when I first saw it but I think it is a fantastic design.  Well done.

Thanks. I couldn't resist the macys clearance price. I had my local ae price match it. I really enjoy the elongated toe.

I wear the same size in the 333 last as the 5 last.

Many find the 3 last longer and wider than the 5 last. I size the same, though.

I size the same in both lasts, but for some reason, my foot/toe feels more room in the 5. Maybe it's in my head and am just used to the 5 last.

Last edited:

sh1ny

Reaction score
I recently had this issue and remedied it by going up half a size and going down a width--that way, the quarters still fit well while giving me enough toe space in the vamp because of the extra length. I think if you went to 9E your whole foot might be slipping around. I would try a 9.5 C/B perhaps?

Great suggestion. I hadn't thought of that. I really would like to retain the fitment of the heal and the rest of the boot. I'll be on the look out for a 9.5 C/B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads