1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

We're not likely to see 299$ crup seconds again.

2. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

AE Kenwood in burgundy shell has been on clearance for $299 for a while. I've been tempted to buy a second pair. Actually that would be 3 pairs for me :)

3. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

There's been one in my size for ages; I'm tempted but already have the Westchester in shell. I know there's a big difference between a beefroll penny and a full-strap, but not sure it's enough to justify a second burgundy loafer.

4. flylikeneagle

flylikeneagle Active Member

5. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

Cronmoks today. These puppies get hecka complements. Wingtips are a rare sight around these parts.
    [​IMG]

Family photo:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  6. thomps33

thomps33 New Member

New additions I picked up from the seconds sale. Left to right: Lexington Brown Burnish Dainite, Carlyle Oxblood (I'll be adding v-treads), Strand Bourbon Calf Dainite, Park Avenue Black V-tread. This is my second order from Allen Edmonds ever; I'm addicted. First order were the walnut Strands and Bob's Chili Mcallister. Where do I go from here since there's a decent collection of colors now?
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Suedes, grains and boots!

2 people like this.
  8. slimjohnil6

slimjohnil6 Active Member

So these arrived in the mail today - sadly, they do not fit. They will be going back. These chukka boots are actually a lot nicer than the photos on the ebay listing. Wish they fit. :-(
    If anyone wears a 9C, you'd do well to keep an eye out for them.

9. slimjohnil6

slimjohnil6 Active Member

10. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

You see, that bourbon strand is wonderful. Both because I think the... texture isn't the right word, but like the visual texture of the well burnished leather against the contrasting the brogueing makes it look like a genuine organic material. It has the same appeal as figured wood in furniture or the varied grain in a nice fabric. That looks very much like the shoe I saw in the store a year ago, only slightly darker.

But the color itself is also much more useable than the larchmonts I have. They're not as neutral as a dark brown or mocha. I tried them on wearing some dark grey denim and the olive tint looked a little off. They go great with khaki and brown shades and I have some greenish chinos that'll be great, but I don't think I'd wear them with grey slacks. Either of yours would work with the grey.

I'm pretty sure it's just too hard a color for them to do. The way the leather responds is too variable.

11. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

Yes. They're very dark. I just got a pair of Larchmont the same way.

12. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Senior member

Thanks. I thought so (obviously). If that is their "flaw" I really cannot complain for $200. I'll probably hit them with the same polish I use on my Fifth Aves and hope I can darken them enough to match my belt. Were your Larchmont seconds as well?

13. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

Strands in Bourbon and Walnut? I might sell one. Chukka boot would be useful, as would a suede wingtip or a brown calf longwing.

14. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Those are definitely too dark to be bourbon, but it's a gorgeous color that would really do well with polish and some antiquing on the toe.

15. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

No.

Thus my whining. I have had zero luck with first quality. Literally. Not a single pair that I think qualifies and I've tried half a dozen times -- actually, no. The first pair I ordered was beautiful, but too small. I sent the next two replacements back and finally just kept the third because they're not so bad people would notice.

Anyway, besides being super dark, the larchmonts have bad stitching on the soles and stitches standing up on the welt. Structurally sound, so I don't care, but there's no way they should have passed inspection.

Seconds, on the other hand, have been a wonderful bargain for me. I have two pair of shoebank scores and they're both great for the price -- and both higher quality than all but one pair of firsts I've gotten.

16. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Bourbon Daltons
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. Mcbeck

Mcbeck Well-Known Member

18. radiodoctordan

radiodoctordan Member

I wanted to share something that happened to me a few months ago and how I handled it. I bought a pair of new first quality Clark Streets in natural chromexcel in summer of 2014 and they became my favorite shoes for business casual events in warm weather and to wear with jeans. After about a year, I noticed a stain or slight abrasion on the outer right toe. I in my ignorance tried to clean the stain with rubbing alcohol, then with acetone on a q tip and ended up a reading the toe surface more. When I tried to apply lotion or polish or Venetian cream I only accentuated the stain. I even spent $50 and had AE refinish the shoes but it was no use. I felt that I had spoiled the shoes. Eventually my cobbler in town suggested that he strip and dye the shoes a dark brown, which I agreed to for $20 dollars. The shoes ended up looking ok to me for wear with dark jeans, although he was a little sloppy near the welt and I couldn't totally clean the stain to the threads.
    Just a post to possibly prompt other suggestions as to how to manage this kind of damage. I had not known about this forum back then, and have seen a couple of other posts of similar damage from scrapes and improper use of alcohol.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

My Bourbon strands and PAs look like that.

20. 22busy

22busy Senior member

You have a pretty solid collection of timeless classic dress shoes. Time to dabble in boots, loafers, suedes and other leathers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.