1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Sneakers dont look that great from the pics, bulky like what you see pre teen kids wear.

What looks great though is the sea island loafer.

But as with pics it can be hard to judge

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. 22busy

22busy Senior member

I just noticed that they added some new colors to the Maritime boat shoes. I think I'll be picking up a pair this summer.

3. mosy

mosy Senior member

Now that the Patriot is discontinued, what's another good option for that style? Ideally something sub-400.

4. mosy

mosy Senior member

[​IMG]

All AE shoes I have, have the insole of the shoe on the left. If a shoe has an insole like the one on the right, what does that mean?

5. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

If you are getting them at a good price and you like the last, why not? It really depends on how versatile you are trying to get with the black. For my taste, a black blucher with any brogueing is a little to casual for what I would need a black dress shoe for in the first place. But I'm always on the conservative end. Again, not that there isn't a place for it, even in my own line up, but it just wouldn't be the shoe I would choose to be my "go to" for events requiring a dark suit with black shoes. If you really must go versatile with the black shoe, I suppose the clifton in black (with a really nice shine of course) could certainly look nice with a dark suit. I'm curious, how casual are you anticipating to go with this black shoe and how often do you anticipate a need for specifically a black dress shoe?

6. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Just my weekly overly opinionated rant about black dress shoes, so please, no one take this as personal criticism. I still don't own a pair of black PA's because I got a pair of black FA's really cheap for my first pair of nice dress shoes. However, I do think its interesting that I've seen a number of people intentionally steer away from black PA's because they are standard, or boring, or banker like, or lack versatility, or whatever. If you are needing to wear a black shoe, it's because of the formality of the event. I.e, it isn't about you, it's about you showing respect. I don't say this to criticize anyone so much as to remind people that a black PA is a standard for a reason. However, it still has nice, elegant but masculine lines; and you can still shine the toe cap to catch someone's eye better than any black brogue ever could in my opinion. It always looks sharp with a dark suit and you should never be called an attention hound for wearing them, even when you have the best looking feet at the event, because you took the time to shine your shoes properly.

2 people like this.
  7. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

That black was used as the insole for a time. Others may have more info on that. It is still a normal leather insole dyed black. Doesn't mean anything unless one shoe has it and the other in a supposed pair doesn't. That would probably mean they were not made at the same time and should have different serial numbers.

8. mosy

mosy Senior member

yup i didnt realize they had a rubbery consistency....

9. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

So I normally wear nice khakis w/ polos, slacks w/ tie or some type of sweater combo to work. Occasionally I want to wear a black shoe to work. The most I'll ever really need a black shoe for is a evening wedding or dinner. Navy suit and tie and Clifton I think will work. Honestly 99% of the people I'll be around won't notice or pay much attention. If I need a black tie shoe I'll grab a park avenue. I have a couple variations of brown in different makes (blucher, balmoral, wingtip etc) and 95% of the time I wear brown shoes. I anticipate the Clifton being the most versatile of the Fifth Ave, Cornwallis etc. $200 at the Bank ain't a bad price I suppose. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

I see your pint and respect your opinion. Honestly a Park Ave with a with fitted suit nicely shined comes across quite striking and def doesn't scream boring. It's just a beautiful shoe!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

Also I'm a Detective in DC. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

Love this lineup. They have added a lot of shoes I think they were missing from the more casual side. It's great to see the Boone make a return (hopefully in more than just D width), because AE hasn't had a suede PTB in a long time while other major brands keep it year round. Additionally, the Sea Island is a great spring/summer shoe (just ordered a pair). Looks like they have some other great suede options, which I am excited about.

Not sure about the sneakers, but we'll have to wait and see.

13. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

In case anyone is interested - they're clearancing two colors of the Dalton, the black & tan grain 1st ave, blue suede Dundee and both Sturgis 2.

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Just that it's an older model and is a different color. No difference in quality.

15. needshoehelp

needshoehelp Senior member

Does anyone have pictures of what the bourbon color looks like after wear and several polishes (with either bourbon or walnut polish)? Curious to see how the color changes over time (or doesn't).

16. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Got my eyes on the Brisbane...I need a casual sneaker

17. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I don't see what is so great about the park or fifth avenue really. They're really boring shoes in my opinon, I had 5th avernue in black and sold it.

But hey if others like it more power to ya. I find the toe box too short and too round

18. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

I've been considering the Rancourt Court Classics for a while, but if AE's sneakers are made in the US and priced competitively, they may cause a dilemma for me. They look very good, and the woven ones are pretty unique.

19. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Drizzly, cold, windy - perfect Dundee 2.0 weather
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

My thoughts on the upcoming collection:

1.The leather sneakers on the far end look much more wearable than the suede ones, as long as they don't all have a textured (weave?) side panels.

2. Instead of the suede sneakers, the grey suede strandmok might be something I consider for casual wear. I usually hate closed laced shoes mixed with casual details, but the grey suede and white rubber soles make them pretty wearable with jean/khakis.

3. I usually don't find weaved shoes attractive, but the weaved loafers make sense. I still wouldn't buy a pair, but it's not a bad option for someone who lives in really warm climates.

4. Does it seem to me that AE is a year behind in trends? I suppose AE targets to more of the fashion laggard demographic instead of the peacocks at Pitti so it makes sense, but talking about cuffs and bare feet in 2016 seems a couple years behind the trend.

5. It's good to see that there aren't obvious misses in this lineup. I remember when we would see models like the Morgan or Bolt and cringe.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.