1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I'm not sure they thing in terms of individual styles so much. If these two models are selling well, they'll probably keep them both in the lineup despite the overlap.

2. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

Finally took these on their maiden voyage today.
    Dark Brown Fifth Ave

.[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. bathiel

bathiel Senior member

Second on the brown Cornwallis. I love the look and fit--goes really well with suits.

Bernie

1 person likes this.
  4. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Thanks! Was actually wearing those the other day
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

Black fifth avenue would work, or +1 on Cornwallis. Yorktown also worth a look. Personally, the Rutledge fills that gap for me, but depends on whether you can find on eBay.

For brown, are your universities actually chili? I don't recall seeing them in brown ... Lots of great options. For me, I'd consider a brown strand, a mora in some shade of brown, or perhaps a Carlyle (technically quite dressy but could casual down).

6. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I've got 18 pairs of shoes across 6 different makers in calf, she'll, suede, but THESE are my clear favorites. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

I took mine with a dainite sole out for the first time last week and almost did today since it is raining. Dainite or leather sole for yours?

8. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

Leather...
    I had them on the other day, but then it started raining/snowing so went back in to put on the Long Branch...

9. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

If I saw snow sticking on the ground more than once every six years, I might consider investing in a pair of Long Branches. I love that boot, but I would almost never have a good reason to wear it. Perhaps I'll move up North so I can expand my collection.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  10. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

I wear mine all the time in the winter, love them.

11. Snobol323

Snobol323 Member

[​IMG]
    Hi Gents - new cognac McT's for me today. Absolutely love these, and at $157 on the recent sale I couldn't pass them up. Quick question (and this may be a dumb question, if so, I apologize), but I noticed on the Shoebank website that the McT's can have either the double oak or double butyl sole, how can you tell the difference?

1 person likes this.
  12. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

butyl has a darker finish and feels oily while double leather is lighter in color

[​IMG]

Butyl[​IMG]

AE

13. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

1. I love my black FA's, but I agree with others that the black Cornwallis is a really nice suggestion. Black FA's are still pretty formal and the Cornwallis would probably get more wear overall. Though I don't think full brogues in black are taboo, I would never recommend them being your only black shoe. Perhaps as a second pair, or if you plan on getting a pair of black PA's in the future.

2. If you go with the black FA, you could go brown Cornwallis.
    If you go with black Cornwallis, you could go with brown Strand, McGregor, MacNeil, Yorktown, or Mora (the last two being my personal picks).

14. Snobol323

Snobol323 Member

Thanks @Kahuna75 - these definitely have more of an orange/pink hue to the soles than my other AE's, so I'm guessing they are butyl.

15. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

Another idea are the Vernon's. simple shoe, lots of style. and prices are lower on the Vernon than the cornwallis.

16. Mcbeck

Mcbeck Well-Known Member

Quote:One has a rubber-like chemical soaked into the sole and the other is straight leather. The AE page on the McTavish has this Q&A about this as well: http://answers.allenedmonds.com/ans...ns-answers/questions.htm?sort=recentq&dir=asc Thank you for your interest in Allen Edmonds. Both our Double Oak Leather Sole and Double Butyl Leather Sole feature the same thickness, support and durability of a leather sole. The difference between the two is Butyl, a chemical in which some rubbers are derived; butyl rubber is known for its leak-proof qualities. We offer our Butyl Leather Sole which is Butyl soaked, giving the leather sole a high resiliency to water. Keep in mind, while the rubber part of the sole is waterproof, the upper and remainder of the sole are still made of natural leather and so is not waterproof. Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions. Allen Edmonds Customer Service

17. bathiel

bathiel Senior member

Also a second on the Vernon. I have them in brown and love them. These and my brown Cornwallis are my go-to shoes for most of my suits.

Bernie

18. H Nguyen

H Nguyen Member

So i got some bourbon 2nds, which often have tiger striping as the reason for being marked down. My pair was one of those unfortunate ones. The striping is not too bad and is located on the vamp. Is there a way to make the striping less noticable.

19. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Brown grain and dark grey chinos today.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

Would black Cliftons be a good middle option? Can be dressed up or down? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.