1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

Mora Monday, maiden voyage; got these from the flash seconds sale, and they are close to perfect, only issue I see is the back seam on the heel of the left shoe is ever so slightly off center like 1/4 inch. With the requisite peppercorn hot beverage on this COLD morning!

[​IMG]

2. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Gents I realized..(just now right). I have too many damn shoes. Going to unload some redundant shoes.

Like park aves in black vs Hopkinson. Since I have parks in black and brown, unloading the black parks.

So do yall fell you have the same pairs?

3. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Looking good! Thats one pair I do need to get. But I see there's only black and bourbon available currently. Maybe I could wait till another cordovan trunk show. I always forget about the DM.

4. BL70

BL70 Senior member

Thanks for the news about the Paramus outlet. As I live in NJ that's the best and worst news I've heard in a while. [​IMG]

5. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

I just had my first experience with AE recrafting. Very pleased with the price, result, turnaround time, and the fact that they allowed me to go from a leather to Dainite sole. Here's a couple of before/after shots........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  6. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

The Freeport outlet is very small also but it's full service and they have a surprisingly large inventory.

1 person likes this.
  7. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Regarding your Hopkinsons, how do you like them? Any problems with the cap toe or creasing in that area? Is the leather softer and/or grainier like some Indy line offerings in the past? Does that "stich" thing just below the bottom of the laces look as high and wide as it appears on the AE website? Any thoughts would be appreciated. In my rare opportunities to be in a brick and mortar AE store, they've never had this shoe.

I guess the closest I have to duplications are:

* oxford wingtips and LWB's both in burgundy shell (Cambridges and vintage Florsheim Imperials);

* oxford wingtips and LWB's both in dark brown calf (Jefferson 1.0's and RL x AE Sandersons).

If I were starting from scratch and wishing to adhere to Manton's six shoe "streamlined" set, I would think the Jefferson in brown and the gunboat in burg shell would check a couple of boxes so no need for the Cambridge or Sanderson. However, now that I have them, I can't see tossing any of them. The Cambridge particularly was a bit of a grail for me.

8. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

My brand new Bartletts. First wearing. The leather is like buttah, baby.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Been wearing my Bayfields in the snow a bit this winter but I cleaned them up today, conditioned with Lexol and finished with some VSC. It's my first time using Lexol on cordovan but I am really quite pleased with the results. I do still want to try Bick 4 as a cordovan conditioner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  10. slimjohnil6

slimjohnil6 Active Member

11. slimjohnil6

slimjohnil6 Active Member

Picked these up!! Will send photos in after the recraft. Thanks for the heads-up demar! I have 7 AE shoes but these will be my first chukkas.

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I'm really liking those! A brown semi brogue is something every man needs in his closet.

13. billikenman

billikenman Well-Known Member

Wow, bravo. The coloration/patina on those is outstanding. Really a beautiful color. Wear in good health.

14. Dario65

Dario65 Senior member

Very much like how those look. Really want to get some shell after seeing all the nice looking shell shoes here. Concerned about rain - yours seem to look great after exposure to snow. Also reading many bad examples after exposure to rain. Shell can take some weather or better to keep it dry? Or does it depend on the type/quality of the shell?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  15. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

It can handle it and clean up well, however, it can look like crap after exposure to rain or snow until you can get around to cleaning them. Cordovan will get water spots and possibly welts because of the water exposure.

Here is some pics of the boots after the snow day last week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. delmar

delmar Senior member

[​IMG]

I got tired of waiting for Allen Edmonds to bring something like this back again so I went ahead and sprang for a pair of Aldens like the one in this picture but I'd rather have Allen Edmonds.

1 person likes this.
  17. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

I wouldn't have expected the edge dressing to be so light, it looks like the light transparent brown instead of the medium it appears to be on the website. They look beautiful.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  18. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Quick question. How much of a difference is there quality wise between the AE Gobi Chukka (snuff suede) and the Alden Unlined Chukka (snuff suede)? Obviously the Alden one will be higher quality but is there really a major difference? I actually have the Gobi. I would just like to know how they compare to the Aldens. Thanks!

19. Irish

Irish Senior member

Does the MacNeil brown grain look out of place with a suit? I love the versatility--especially for lousy weather days--but I'm thinking the grain plus the Dainite leans too casual for a business suit.

20. BespokeBrooklyn

BespokeBrooklyn Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.