1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Sorry. blank post.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  2. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

really? I didn't see that!

3. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

It's on the shoebank site. I don't think there are many sizes, style number 4105S

4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

The NYC stores all have shine stands. Not sure about other locations.

It doesn't seen as if she'll seconds are discounted...

5. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

Ah, thanks. I see it, just not in my size.

6. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

How do you search by model number?

7. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Careful on those. I saw them yesterday too. 4105 is the "distressed brown"

http://content.allenedmonds.com/pdf/AE_Fall2012_CatalogSupplement.pdf

8. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

You're supposed to sip that, ya know! :)

9. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

@YoungSweet

I did a search for Allen Edmonds University and your image popped up, you have it in bourbon. Would you say the university is sleek? I know it's on the 333 last

10. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

Dear Lord,

Please protect my wallet today.

Amen.

11. DeathandTaxes

DeathandTaxes Well-Known Member

For those eyeing the McTavish Distressed Brown for $77, just for reference here is the pair of seconds I picked up during one of the sales:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Believe it or not, I have gotten more compliments on these than I have gotten collectively on my shoes from the Independence line.

12. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

Probably because the contrast stitching grabs attention. My Rush Streets do the same.

2 people like this.
  13. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

This is killing me. So tempted by the Dark Chocolate ones. Arrrrrrgh! Why does the kid need braces?

I would have jumped on a couple of others if they had the colors I want. Love that Odenwald at $155, but it's only for black. Neumoks at $145 is pretty decent, but I'd rather go with blue than brown.

Outside of the Daltons, there's really nothing that jumps out at me for my rotation.

14. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

That's pretty bad. The "bumpy" shell is not really an issue - that seems to be typical of shell on the blucher eyestays on many shell shoes, and I woudn't necessarily say it's a defect. The stitching on the side is a bit annoying but not necessarily out of character for firsts. The hanging chad wingtip tip thing is really really bad, though. I would definitely reach out to AE customer service about this.

I agree. I have sold 75-80% of my AE shoes over the past 6 months or so, and have not bought anything new in a long time. While I don't necessarily attribute all of it to a decline in quality, I certainly find myself looking at the AE website and not being excited about any models whatsoever.

Paul is a great guy, and very responsive to customer concerns. If AE didn't have such excellent customer service, I would hesitate to recommend their shoes to anyone due to their recent quality control issues, but they do try very hard to make things right. It's just a shame that they seem to be having to "make things right" much more often than they used to.

Even though I find myself buying mostly Alden, Vass, and Carmina these days, those companies can't even begin to touch the level of customer service that AE offers. Alden doesn't care about any problems you might have, Vass is very responsive to customer complaints but tends to rely on the handmade nature of their shoes as a crutch against maintaining more strict QC standards, and Carmina is usually quite dismissive of customer complaints.

Their leather bags are excellent. I only really buy AE belts these days, and even those are hit or miss (many belts have "flaking" leather and cracking in the finishing within a few wears, but are always replaced free of charge).

AE blames a lot of things on the burnishing wheel (tiger striping included). If the burnishing wheel is to blame, they should hand-burnish the shoes. Probably costs them less in the long run, when you consider all the shoes that are ruined or downgraded to seconds by the burnishing wheel.

15. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Senior member

I've been keeping an eye out for a pair of casual black (blasphemy!) shoes as well as a pair of black (blasphemy!) boots. Looks like I killed two birds with one shoe:

[​IMG]

I'm pretty lenient when it comes to seconds, but I hope there's nothing too wrong with these!

1 person likes this.
  16. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

I know, I know! I'm not even really a boot guy (tried the Dalton and Long Branch a year ago and loved the shorter Bleecker St) but the Chocolate color looks amazing. [​IMG]

17. DeathandTaxes

DeathandTaxes Well-Known Member

18. shoosensuits

shoosensuits Well-Known Member

Anyone deal with annoying squeaks well past the point of breaking-in a pair of AEs? All of my balmoral AEs are on the same last and size and only one pair has this issue: my vernons. They fit well, albeit maaaybe just a tiny bit tighter than the others but still very comfortable. However, the insole and inside sides of the shoe squeak against my socks every time I wear them. This happens mostly around the area of the arch so I can't resolve this with felt. It's almost like the inside leather is a slightly different smoothness of leather than usual. I can replicate the issue when I'm not moving, so it's not brought on by flex/movement. Driving me nuts and very disappointing as this is one of my favorite pairs and is reaosnably comfortable. I've tried cleaning and conditioning the leather inside the shoe but this did nothing. Anyone?

19. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

I liked them, the u wings are not common and I got plenty of compliments. It's not everyone's cup of tea I can tell you that. I sold them last year since they didn't fit well.

1 person likes this.
  20. shunted22

shunted22 Senior member

Anyone have experience with McGregor? It seems like they're not all that popular here but I like them as a casual blucher wingtip. Haven't seen in person though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.