• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
1) That's absurd. Even my kids know not to mess with my shoes. My kids think my shoes are part of their inheritance!
2) This may be the most responded-to post ever - at least for a long, long time.

@rostov , You're frustrating situation
baldy%5B1%5D.gif
seems to be our entertainment.
rotflmao.gif

I think the fact that his shoes appear to be basically fine is what allowed us all to have a laugh. If he'd reported that 17 pairs of AE including six pair of shell were ruined by the move/painting/sitting in the elements, we'd not be posting what we've posted...at least I wouldn't. I wouldn't want to draw his ire.
cloud.gif

Thanks for the chuckle, rostov!

slimjohnil6

Reaction score
Several posts ago I read where there was an AmEx offer of $50 off a purchase of $250 or more. Though I have been an AmEx account holder for over 10 years, I have never used these offers. (I use the AmEx for sky miles and have traveled every year with their discounts on airfares). But I realized that I may still qualify for the offer as I bought a pair of 2nds shell Leeds last month. Just got done live chatting with AmEx and they confirmed that the offer was still good -- I'll see a $50 credit within 90 days.

Thanks to you kind posters of such benefits! (My $325 shells now feel like $275 shells - even sweeter!)

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, NWTeal - I am pleased with the outcome. It makes them my cheapest LEAST EXPENSIVE purchase ever from AE. Even my distressed brown Pine River 2nds were $147 last year...
Customer Service kudos to Allison...as per usual. Two Eagle County MTOs in makeups I love, for the cost of one 1st quality Dalton.
drool.gif

Should have the Navy back tomorrow or Saturday...just in time to thrash about in the forecast light snow showers headed this way
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

So I may have missed it earlier. They sent you the boots, you found a flaw and sent them back. Then decided to keep them as 2nd? Just being clear. A sweet deal.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score

So I may have missed it earlier. They sent you the boots, you found a flaw and sent them back. Then decided to keep them as 2nd? Just being clear. A sweet deal.
Pretty much, @csmitty; I sent Allison a couple pics, she asked me to return them for an evaluation by the production team, and they were found to be 2nd quality. She said they would be sent to an outlet to be sold as seconds, but allowed me first crack at the purchase. SA's at the North Michigan location hadn't even seen the color in calf before, so I wanted to hold on to it. I'm just glad it was suggested here that I see what could be done about the bunched leather, or getting a remake. Got the Brown Grain made instead, but the Navy fell back into my lap... Couldn't pass it up!

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much, @csmitty ; I sent Allison a couple pics, she asked me to return them for an evaluation by the production team, and they were found to be 2nd quality. She said they would be sent to an outlet to be sold as seconds, but allowed me first crack at the purchase. SA's at the North Michigan location hadn't even seen the color in calf before, so I wanted to hold on to it. I'm just glad it was suggested here that I see what could be done about the bunched leather, or getting a remake. Got the Brown Grain made instead, but the Navy fell back into my lap... Couldn't pass it up!

Ah yes, I remember that pic now. Glad she would do them in Grain. I think I've read that some they will only do the original request. May have been WI.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah yes, I remember that pic now. Glad she would do them in Grain. I think I've read that some they will only do the original request. May have been WI. 
Yes that was me. I had 2 shoes MTOd during the no fee era but was delivered during the post SF MTO program era. Both shoes were deemed seconds, but they wouldn't let me do a new design, unless I paid an MTO fee. Which I wasn't willing to do. So I got the off spec MTOs at seconds price.

I also had an off spec MTO which they allowed me to remake a new design and keep the off spec shoe as seconds. But this was all during the SF MTO program so there wasn't really any custom fee required.

My guess is since there was no Custom fee involved in the GMTO program they allowed a remake in a different make so long as it was one of the designs in the GMTO.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pretty much, @csmitty; I sent Allison a couple pics, she asked me to return them for an evaluation by the production team, and they were found to be 2nd quality. She said they would be sent to an outlet to be sold as seconds, but allowed me first crack at the purchase. SA's at the North Michigan location hadn't even seen the color in calf before, so I wanted to hold on to it. I'm just glad it was suggested here that I see what could be done about the bunched leather, or getting a remake. Got the Brown Grain made instead, but the Navy fell back into my lap... Couldn't pass it up!

I really don't get this with AE. Understandable that mistakes are made, and shoes identified as seconds are sent to the outlets. But to have a first quality MTO sent to the customer this way? Who is looking at the shoes when they are finished? is there anyone at the factory that inspects, or are workers so cynical that they just throw any old shoe into a box? This is the lack of quality control that really annoys.

Glad you got a good deal on these, though. Certainly great as seconds and not acceptable as firsts.

tjyoung

Reaction score
Quote:
I really don't get this with AE. Understandable that mistakes are made, and shoes identified as seconds are sent to the outlets. But to have a first quality MTO sent to the customer this way? Who is looking at the shoes when they are finished? is there anyone at the factory that inspects, or are workers so cynical that they just throw any old shoe into a box? This is the lack of quality control that really annoys.

Glad you got a good deal on these, though. Certainly great as seconds and not acceptable as firsts.

Ok, I guess I'll be 'that guy'. I personally would have kept those, especially since we all got them at less than MSRP for an MTO that usually costs MSRP + $125. They don't look too bad to me, and my pair seem to have some similar wrinkling as well, just not as bad. I didn't even think about returning them. Also, it's on part of the boot that most people will rarely see, and the more you wear them, the more they'll crease and this will not be noticeable. I don't know though - maybe I'm just jealous that I didn't get mine for $129 :)

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, I guess I'll be 'that guy'. I personally would have kept those, especially since we all got them at less than MSRP for an MTO that usually costs MSRP + $125. They don't look too bad to me, and my pair seem to have some similar wrinkling as well, just not as bad. I didn't even think about returning them. Also, it's on part of the boot that most people will rarely see, and the more you wear them, the more they'll crease and this will not be noticeable. I don't know though - maybe I'm just jealous that I didn't get mine for $129 :)

I don't disagree with you there. But AE has deemed these seconds, so let's assume they are. Why did they get sent out to the customer? That's my issue.

Rob1547

Reaction score
So I know the Rediscover America sale has come and gone but I'm curious... did anybody order the Rutledge during that time? I placed an order for a walnut pair early October and was notified of a 2-3 week manufacturing delay today. Not a big issue other than continued test of patience. I'm curious if anybody else ordered these as well. I was offered a pair that was not 'factory fresh' but had been 'tried on before.' I'm thinking best to wait...

Indyoshi68

Reaction score

@tjyoung, no ill will here, but I just have to respond to that post. You're not jealous that you didn't get your (perhaps second quality) MTO for $129...you're vexed with tjyoung for not doing what you should've done - ask AE what your options were when you noticed an imperfection on your delivered MTO, as I did. I believe it was you who said your boot had a similar issue - but that you were comfortable accepting it - when I asked fellow GMTO'ers about mine.

You also sound like you believe that, because the MTO of a discontinued model came in below MSRP of current models (or the EC original MSRP), that we should've all accepted less than what was intended /spec'ed when the GMTO was funded by interested parties... The price we all paid was not set by us, but by AE; the MTO fee was waived for a reason - I'm assuming quantity of orders and amount of business coming from SF members.

If the pics posted don't look bad to you, but did look bad to AE, it stands to reason that you could raise your aesthetic expectation slightly and hold AE to the production standards that they hold themselves to. You accepted less than you should've, didn't ask questions when you could've, and now seem to be feeling some "acquiescent purchaser's remorse". It's your money, though... why not ensure that you're getting what you paid for, irrespective of price paid? None of us intended to purchase a second quality boot; we all paid a price expecting first quality work, but I didn't get that - as you did not (maybe). If you'd like, I would be happy to sell you my 'acceptable' Navy EC at your suggested "MSRP + MTO fee" cost!
BTW, I roll my pants sometimes, the pull tab sometimes catches pants after I sit, and I have been known to cross my legs on occasion...MY shaft will be seen (sorry; it was served up SO nice, I had to swing at it).

As much as I wanted to toss the boot on and run outside, it wasn't right, and multiple people at AE responsible for assessing the product agreed. My 2 year old Daltons (posted today) and year old LB's still have NO bunching or creasing...but they're not seconds :)

Soooo...just curious, but... why'd you CHOOSE to be "that guy?" (at this point I'm just giving you guff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads