1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

2. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

Love these! Already have the walnut strands....would it be stupid to get these too?

3. iamelroberto

iamelroberto Well-Known Member

Just add some black or bourbon polish

4. Mcbeck

Mcbeck Well-Known Member

5. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

Thanks. that's helpful.

6. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

#8 shell daltons 2day:

[​IMG]

7. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

Dark Brown Long Branch today.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

That's good to hear..I'll take your word for it. The bourbon Flatirons are already in route so I hope you're right

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  9. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Are we all just accepting that the lacing area on the Daltons don't lay flat, or flush with the rest of the shoe? Or does that begin to blend in with more wearings?...if it is just accepted as the design of the Dalton, I wonder why the Longbranches don't look like that, since they're supposed to be essentially the same design on a casual sole?...difference in leather quality/stiffness perhaps?

10. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Leather difference is the key and yes it is frustrating..I leather leation the crap out of the eyelet area inside and out and the tie the boot as tight as I can and leave it until it breaks in(no foot in the boot)

11. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

Agreed. If you tie them tight as hell, they lie pretty flat.

12. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Mid 70s weather snapped my streak of wearing only boots.
    Love the look of these McTs with jeans. In two years these have never been cleaned, treated or polished. They see a good brushing after each wear but that's it. I've always been afraid to darken them at all.
    [​IMG]

13. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I did the same to my Daltons, with the AE Leather Lotion. Though I only needed just a touch on the gusset since my tongue wasn't laying the way I wanted. I don't think my lacing area was all that bad to begin with, but I normally lace super tight. The lotion alleviated both the stray tongue and lace area.

14. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Natural shell Daltons today.

[​IMG]

Would love a pair of natty shell Cornwallis.

15. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I decided to pull the trigger on Sauk Dr. Seconds. I went with the seconds because, well they had no more firsts in my size, though I think with this type of leather the difference is lessened. The extra bucks I saved really didn't factor into my decision as they were pretty inexpensive to begin with. So on to the pictures and my thoughts afterwards:

They look really good from way up here. BTW, they are laced differently. Not sure if I wanted to go with my usual over-under-over or under-over-under.

[​IMG]

Now onto all the "faults" I could find:

Some odd scratches on the tip, but the vamp is pretty smooth.
    [​IMG]

Hmm, AE, could have snipped this loose end. No big deal, I have this magical tool called scissors.
    [​IMG]

This immediately caught my eye. A small depression, at first I thought maybe it was the cow, even though it seemed a little too symmetrical.
    [​IMG]

The above were all on the right boot. On to the left.

Same depression on the right boot. Doesn't show as much on this side in a picture, but easily seen in real life. (Its the darker spot just about in the center of the frame). So now I'm thinking no way this is some "cow defect", but I don't know what it could be.
    [​IMG]

Don't think I can really put this on Allen Edmonds, they don't make the Vibram. (On both soles)
    [​IMG]

Leather on this side is highly figured. Actually I don't mind this. I think its an interesting look, but wish it was consistent throughout both sides and both boots. Note the depression isn't really visible in this picture.
    [​IMG]

Hard to capture with my iPhone, but the inner side leather has a rough texture. This bothers me a bit, but not enough to cry over it.
    [​IMG]

Whoa, super wrinkly. But I have a feeling both sides will look more like this as the boot wears.
    [​IMG]

Again, snip snip.
    [​IMG]

Over all, lots of little things. But when I decided to put in my order, I had it in my mind that these were NOT boots that I would WEAR, they ARE boots to boots to be WORN. If that makes any sense. Shoebank still shows inventory in my size on hand, but I really can't see myself returning them for another pair. I like them for what they are. Had they been firsts, I guess that taken together, ALL the little things would push me to exchange, mostly because I would expect better from AE. I'm really pleased.

16. suuteebird

suuteebird Active Member

[​IMG]
    So sad. Thought I'd pick these up on clearance on the cheap. Firsts purchased via the website. Obvious weird stripes that can't be normal. Not sure how this passes as acceptable. On the flip side, they are quite comfortable - nevertheless, back they go.

17. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

@ace13x great pics...those are great seconds especially for a cheap webgem special...Eyelets alighn and wings are centered...those are keepers all day

18. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

Definitely agree with Kahuna. My SD seconds have sides that are a gazillion shades darker than the rest of the boots. Almost going into dark brown, while the rest is more reddish. Different shades on both boots too. The ones I sent back for size didn't have that. Still love my SD and I'm keeping them too. I'm just having the eyelets repaired that were scratching the tongue and the laces.

I have the same striping across the vamp on one boot only and it quickly started looking similar enough between the two after a few wears that I think it's no problem at all.

19. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Thank you. I feel the same about them being keepers, the pictures: meh. :)

Yeah, forgot about that, as I was unlacing to take them off, the top eyelet pricked my finger. I haven't had a chance to take a really good look at all the eyelets, but I'm fairly sure its just some flashing that I can take care of myself.

I really don't have a huge shading problem. Its just the somewhat rough texture on one side of one boot and the marbling on the other. I kind of like the marbling and wouldn't mind if were to develop on the other boot as it wears (I don't think it will.) The ripples in the vamp probably will as you suggested.

20. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Those poor depressed cows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.