1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  2. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Great looking boot. I've been debating between these and the dark brown. Thing I made my decision!
    You mention breaking in the footbed - was there an issue? Or just a stiffer sole than, say, calf?

3. nnjacob

nnjacob Member

Dumb question: is a burnished color like bourbon more susceptible to weather than others? You all convinced me to pull the trigger on the bourbon Daltons, but now I'm having second thoughts. I have some bourbon Flatirons that haven't held up so well in the rain, so it seems. Or is there something ya'll recommend to protect them from the elements?

4. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Honestly, I find that bourbon is very susceptible to losing the burnish, which of course rain would cause. I lost the color on one of my toe caps of a pair of bourbon PAs, that I tried to recreate to mediocre results (in my eyes at least). I've debated stripping the whole shoe and going with the more natural color, but losing the burnish was a bummer.

5. bahlsdheep

bahlsdheep Well-Known Member

I've worn my bourbon Daltons many times in the rain, and I've never had any problems or discolouration. Only issue was that my cobbler refused to Topy them, because they come with oiled soles (I know there is debate as to whether this is possible), so something to consider if you planned to go that route to aid in wet wear.

6. Dario65

Dario65 Senior member

After a few hours I had some heel discomfort on one foot and some pressure in the widest part of the other foot. For a guy with wide feet who is hard to fit, these seem like minor issues that I expect to go away with a few more hours in them. Excepting those two "new shoe" issues they are more comfortable than the Sauk Drives, which are still comfortable. Minor issue, but speed hooks on the LB are nicer to get the boots on and off than having all eyelets on the Sauk Drive.

7. iamelroberto

iamelroberto Well-Known Member

[​IMG] For the sake of shoe p0rn, my updated family.

2 people like this.
  8. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

At this point I'm afraid to even use AE Cleaner & Conditioner on my new Bourbon shoes. I figured if the burnishing is that easily destroyed by such simple factors as regular polishing or rain water, a potent semi-astringent cleaning substance like the Cleaner/Conditioner would completely remove the burnishing upon contact.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  9. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Many thanks; it seems as though the last sizes changed between the 1995 and 2004 catalogues. Interesting. I was hoping to try to make educated guesses on lasts I haven't tried on, since the closest store is a few hours away (stupid upstate NY).

10. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

[​IMG]

Olive tweed shaker heights today.

1 person likes this.
  11. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Wore mine in the same color yesterday, but forgot to snap a pic.

My two favorite Shaker Heights iterations are the ones with that colored leather - the olive tweed one above, and the Brooks Brothers version (same color leather, but their signature tartan pattern instead of the tweed).

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Great Shakes guys! My Shakers and Dundees are my most worn fall/winter fair weather footwear across any brand.

Speaking of which, working "Door Duty" at my son's Catholic school this morning

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

The conditioner should not remove the burnish...at least for me it has not. You are not scrubbing it in just a light rub. I have had to condition my Bourbon daltons a lot originally with AE brand then with bick 4 due to MAJOR squeeking that even thrawted some baby poweder attemps. None of the burnishing came off -

1 person likes this.
  14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Love those boots...those and Watch's navy shell dundees are two I wish I had done

15. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Rainy, drizzly, and foggy - so it's the Clark Street today.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Mcbeck

Mcbeck Well-Known Member

My new Bourbon Strands. I love the color. No noticeable tiger stripes ... can't see anything that I would consider a flaw.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  17. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I just picked up a pair of "like new, worn a handful of times" bourbon strands of e-bay for $130 yesterday.... very interested to see how they look when they show up next week!

18. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I really like my Bourbon Strands. I feel that Bourbon is a great color for the Strand styling.

19. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Well I figured I better give these some nourishment for the winter.....in theory ahead. All I could think of as @mdubs shaking his head in disgust
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Luckily I keep a full supply at the office, including spare shoes..so brushing and lexol and will be sporting these while I finish the boots...I struggle with loafers and socks and while my smart wool boot socks are not so fashionable I have to say I actually like the look of this with denim.
    [​IMG]

20. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Happened to wear my cappuccino shell bayfields today. It's snowing out and they have been my main boot option in the foul weather when I want to also wear trousers. My pair has a flat welt though compared to yours.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.