1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redmusic1

redmusic1 Well-Known Member

That one looks great in my opinion, interesting and consistent over the whole shoe without being drastic in one place. A picture together would certainly give better context though.

2. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

Those look great. Really wish they didn't discontinue that shoe.

3. hohneokc

hohneokc Well-Known Member

Sorry - no tweed jacket. I wore a sweater today so I just went with a navy blazer. And the sweater was borderline since it is in the low 40's today.

1 person likes this.
  4. redmusic1

I went with a navy blazer today myself because of the temp, so I understand. People in the South over-react with their heaters in my opinion, because they don't know how to layer, so a sweater is almost always out of the question for me. I own only one and haven't worn it yet this year, and only once last year if I recall. I had planned on wearing a brown and tan herringbone tweed, but the weather didn't cooperate. I did at least get to wear my charcoal cashmere overcoat the day before yesterday, first time this year.

5. flylikeneagle

flylikeneagle Active Member

I have the promontory point in brown and they are easily my favorite shoes. They are the only pair of shoes that I wear at least once a week, year round. I regret not getting a pair in black while they were still available.

1 person likes this.
  6. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

Originally, I did not get any walnut AE polish when I purchased the shoes as I got them from Nordys during their annual sale back in July. So, I first polished them with some neutral meltonian cream and then a couple thin layers of neutral kiwi wax (top layer being spit shined). I recently was by AE and picked up some walnut AE paste and applied a layer to freshen the shine up, which gave the reddish tint on the toe cap.

As far as process, I always start a polish session with saphir reno, then 1-2 coats of paste/cream polish and then finish with usually 1-2 coats of wax, 1 brush shined and then a spit shine. I don't buff or brush the spit shine, just work the polish/water lightly into the shoe until it's no longer cloudy. Other than that I just brush the shoes down after every wear.

7. pudman43

pudman43 Well-Known Member

Sorry for crappy iPhone 4 pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Moose22

Moose22 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. I was hoping to get an hour or two of sun today to take some shots with good light (I want to take a shot of my rogues freshly polished, too), but it looks like the next storm is moving in and it's getting darker at noon. Here are a couple with a flash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, the right shoe is not so much stripey as ... blotchy. And one side of each shoe is completely plain while the other side is striped or blotched with burnishing.

In sunlight it's noticeable, but in most lights it is moderately camouflaged, like in the last pic of the toes of both shoes. I have no idea whether it will strengthen or lessen in contrast with time and repeated polishings.

Very strange living in Southern California and having to wait a few days for good sunlight. Almost as strange as wanting to take pictures of my shoes, but I think I'll just not mention that to people not on this forum so I won't have to explain getting excited because I polished a pair really well this week.

9. Moose22

Moose22 Well-Known Member

Phone doesn't matter. Still really good looking shoes. I don't have in that color, but eventually I probably will. Really like it.

10. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

11. redmusic1

I see what you mean about the striping vs. splotching. Should become less noticeable over time for sure. But even now (and probably in direct sunlight), on your feet with trousers, I wouldn't notice it. I think the reality is that when I'm looking at sahoes on someone else, unless I'm asked to compare them or there is more than a shades difference, I only concentrate on one shoe at a time. I think a person naturally assumes that a close view of one shoe will give them a mirrored impression of its mate. Of course I also like more humanistic character than computerized precision when it comes to assessing artisanship. This just leans more towards an aggressive individual character of each shoe in my opinion, since the over all shade appears to be very similar. Some of the striping I've seen seems to darken one shoe verses the other by more than one shade.

12. redmusic1

I would have rather had a punch toe in merlot, but I love my Merlot PA's anyway. Maybe they will bring back a similar color in a decade or so. By then I may be able to afford more shoes. I think I'm done if the dark brown Mcgregor and FA I have on the way are both keepers. I'm completely broke at this point and out of closet space. (That is, unless I run across a pair of bridgetons in really really good condition.)

13. redmusic1

Walnut Wednesday standard
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Well-Known Member

I just love how it does not look like a football heading to thr toe...so much more balanced than other lasts.

15. Mcbeck

Mcbeck Well-Known Member

I just received my new bourbon Strands (I'll post some pics tomorrow when I have better lighting), but I was wondering what the purpose of the little sole detail on AE shoes serve. Reaction maybe? I think Alden shoes have a similar pattern.[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

16. Mcbeck

Mcbeck Well-Known Member

Autocorrect issue. Traction?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

17. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

I think so too. I had a pair recrafted that was missing this detail and they were a little slippery.

18. bahlsdheep

bahlsdheep Well-Known Member

Always thought it was just a tool mark from where the welt sewing machine grabs abd holds as the welt is sewn.

No idea if that's correct though.

19. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

Then

Then why wouldn't recrafted pairs have it? Plus the stitches don't line up with the marks. Good theory though!

20. Dario65

Dario65 Well-Known Member

First outing for new chromexel Longbranch. Obviously boot weather today. Not a bad fit - going to need some foot bed break-in. I can see more chromexel in my future. The eyelets on the left boot don't quite line up so my bars aren't horizontal relative to the boot. Not sure I care enough to swap them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.