1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Has anyone ever noticed that AE sells grey shoe bags for $25? The regular ones are only $10. Does a butler come with the grey ones?

2. nbj08

nbj08 Senior member

Wow, those look great! They look a fair bit darker than factory - what polish do you use?

3. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Those are the same as come with shell, aren't they? Definitely a nicer bag, but I can't imagine shelling (oh, dear) out an extra $15.

4. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I haven't seen the gray bags in person from AE, but guessing the bags I got recently from Brooks Brothers might be supplied by them. Those bags are a little smaller in volume and have a more substantial string, and the fabric feels more wooly than felty.

Personally, I think the $10 AE bags are great - I use them for all my shoes. The bags Alden uses aren't as nice IMHO.

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I got grey linen bags with Indy line shoes. The shell ones come with standard flannel bags, but they're black and have the Horween logo...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  6. aLL1

aLL1 Member

My wife ordered me a pair of fifth aves in chili that just arrived this morning from Allen Edmonds. They have visible scuff marks and the stitching looks frayed in one location. Also the inside of the left shoe is scratched.

These were sold as 1sts, but do you gentlemen think these are 2nds quality? Would you keep them if you payed full price?

Pictures attached.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

7. aLL1

aLL1 Member

Here's the bottom of the shoe and inside.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mkenny28

mkenny28 Active Member

That probably wouldn't bother me too much but AE is pretty easy to deal with on exchanges so I would get the process started if that is an option for you.

1 person likes this.
  9. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

@aLL1 I would return them based on the stitching on the wlet- the scuffs probably would not bother me -

1 person likes this.
  10. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Can anyone say how the Patriot loafer fits? I have a hard time with the Alden LHS b/c of the low vamp - anyone know if this is similar?

11. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Happy new year, gents!
    Shakers for my first PC PoD of 2016. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. mkenny28

mkenny28 Active Member

I can't compare it to any other loafers since the Patriot is my first but I got them in 11D and they are very snug and maybe a little too small on my right foot which is larger by a hair. I probably should have gotten them in 11.5D (my Brannock size) but I got them on ebay for a steal in 11D. For comparison sake I wear a 10.5 E in the 65 last, 11.5D in the 511 Last, and the only Alden's I own are Barrie Last in 10.5D.

1 person likes this.
  13. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I see the stitching on the welt like this on most of their shoes. Its just where the stitching starts and stops. For me, its not an issue. The issue near the eyelets looks like it will be gone with the first polish as opposed to an actual scuff in the leather. I would not be returning the shoes, but that's me.

1 person likes this.
  14. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

I wouldn't worry about the scuffs. Nothing that wouldn't happen anyway. Ugly stitching in that specific location has become fairly common. If they were seconds, I would be over the moon, but as firsts, I would try to exchange for better stitching. Also, take this opportunity before sending back to ensure the fit is desirable if this happens to be your first 65 lasted shoe.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  15. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

As others have mentioned, the scuff will likely come out rather easily. As far as the welt, that is your call on if you can live with it or not. Since they are firsts, I see possibly sending them back - however, it might be worth sending these pics to AE and asking for seconds pricing on them. Not sure if they would go for that (as they might just attempt to resell your pair again), but could be a win-win for everyone.

1 person likes this.
  16. mavrik13

mavrik13 Active Member

Hi all - looked through the last few pages, but didn't see anything mentioned... anyone have a clue to as when the next sale on seconds will be?

Thanks in advance!

17. DeSaintLoup

DeSaintLoup New Member

Hey gang,

Just received a pair of oxblood strands (first quality).
    Phenomenal color...

Alas, noticed some odd stitching on the right shoe's rear seam. Cause for concern?
    Return?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

According to a user here, there will be one on the 14th.

1 person likes this.
  19. aLL1

aLL1 Member

Yes, 14th - 19th

1 person likes this.
  20. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.