1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

With my "russet brown" Sauk Drives I just pretend the listing said "merlot" or something similar and I'm fine.[​IMG]

Actually, they are sort of cross between chili and burg, though they can get close to "red" in bright light. I like it.

[​IMG]

2. Dario65

Dario65 Senior member

Maybe just the light - your Sauks look more red than mine. Nice match with the lined jeans. I need to get a pair of those.

3. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Thanks to all for the feedback on the color. I think this is a case of proper expectations based on the name of the color. The boots sound more " new potato red" than russet brown. Either way, I think will just think of them as something in the merlot/ burgundy line, open the box and see how they fit. Altered expectations will likely lead to better satisfaction.

4. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Suede Macneils today..
    Have a Happy New Year everyone..

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. jayjules

jayjules Member

[​IMG]

Just picked these up from Brooks Brothers. They are supposedly made by AE. My heel slips a little in them and I'm worried they may be too big, unfortunately they don't have a smaller size in stock. I think they're beautiful shoes.

1 person likes this.
  6. ColtSAA45

ColtSAA45 Member

[​IMG]

Mayfairs tonight. Wearing a tuxedo and fun socks.

7. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I own those - they're the AE Kenwood rebranded for BB and with a different midsole/edge dressing. I own them in probably a half size too short or too narrow (so opposite problem from yours) but still wear them regularly because they're beautiful looking.

1 person likes this.
  8. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

1. It won't be a problem. Those shoes can or probably have been sitting at AEs or the stores stock room as long as that. That said a little conditioner probably won't hurt and maybe a toe shine before wearing them. Id do that after I break them in. It would suck to have painful feet during your first day at work.

2. Based on your intended use I would actually get a blucher. My suggestion would be something in burgundy like the Dundee or the MacNeil. Id also consider the BB by AE macNeil chili grain. These 3 options will allow you to easily swing to jeans and chinos in a snap whereas the strand will limit you to dressier attires.

9. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

get tongue pads if the slippage is minor.

10. NYCREBROKER

NYCREBROKER New Member

These arrived from Freeport today. I had been putting it off since it has been so nice in Manhattan this winter. Unfortunately, my MacNeil Shells got rained on during my walk home from work the other day. I decided it was time. Fortunately, Santa (my wife) put in Allen Edmonds gift card in my stocking.
    [​IMG]

11. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Are you certain of that? It looked like BB was going the route of most other places, meaning starting at 8D so I'm SOL...but these were one of the few that started at 7D. I was certain they were the Made in USA Duke not the Kenwood, but I'd be interested if they really were the Kenwood.

12. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Positive. A few months ago I bought both the loafers you posted above and the Brooks Brothers Signature Tartan loafers as seconds from the shoebank.

The first pair is listed as "Brooks Kenwood Brown/Blue."

The Tartan pair was "Brooks Duke Tartan Plug."

And they definitely fit differently (different lasts I'm sure). Both were purchased in size 9D (they don't offer various widths). The Duke/Tartan loafers were noticeably wider and more comfortable for me, while the Kenwoods were narrower (although they have stretched some over time).

13. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

To welcome the New Year, i took out the collection for a group pic (well missing 2 pairs here). As most of these are AE I thought this was the most appropriate thread to share.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  14. billikenman

billikenman Well-Known Member

Stunning lineup.

15. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

E Wishes for 2016:
    Here is my AE wish for the new year -- chukkas.
    With the recent discontinuation of the Bellevue, and last year's cancellation of the Bleecker Street, there is only one chukka in the lineup. (I almost forgot -- the Gobi is a goner too.)
    I would like to see a couple of new chukkas in the new year. Ideally, there could be three designs on three different lasts.
    What would you like to see in 2016?

16. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

A short wing blucher.

A reasonable MTO program.

A shell trunkshow with natty, green, and #2 shell.

3 people like this.
  17. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

More sleeker lasts...a la Cornwallis

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  18. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

@watchidiot that's pretty awesome collection!!
    For the AE wishes,
    MTO program , split toe boot

1 person likes this.
  19. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

The Bartlett in Bourbon.

20. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

My numero uno wish is that they stop reducing size choices...new items have been stopping at size 14 most of the time lately. (Still tolerable if they have the 'size upgrade' at a cost available)

MTO options which I do not expect to see:

1 Occasional access to out of production models.
    2 Occasional access to alternate shell colors.
    3 Perforation delete or alterations. Several of my favorite items in the closet are in this category.

These options should be priced steep to assure cost coverage for the extra attention. Doubt that will happen though.

And @Gabro I'd love a split toe boot, has been awhile since the Portland, maybe this will happen in 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.