Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cc808314

cc808314 Well-Known Member

Ultimately, it's your own call. You have to feel comfortable wearing it. That being said, on a formal pair like that, the scar/wrinkle looks very out of place. Also, the toe seems to be heavily burnished, but that might come off over time. I would try to exchange, but that may not be possible since Merlot is a close out color with limited sizes available.

2. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Well-Known Member

Which specific shoes are you looking at? I haven't noticed any changes...

3. aero25

aero25 Well-Known Member

Can confirm. I've seen these in person recently (at the AZ Biltmore store ;-)) and they look very close to this picture.

4. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Well-Known Member

All the bourbon have dropped in price at Shoebank from yesterday. That's all I'm really looking at right now, so haven't paid attention to other shoes.

5. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas everyone. While I like the cognac mentioned above, I really want a bourbon shoe, and now that they're on sale, I'm going to pull the trigger. Software engineer manager, 56, in Arizona. Chinos and a button down shirt, sweater in cooler weather. Help me choose. Side note, I have 4 Strands, of the 13 paris of AE, no shoes in bourbon.

Carlyle

[​IMG]

Fifth Avenue

[​IMG]

Park Avenue

[​IMG]

Mcallister

[​IMG]

Strand

[​IMG]

Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone.

6. shoelover

shoelover Well-Known Member

Look for a blucher

7. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

@Mark_Y

I'm in the same boat. My choices would be the carlyle and the Mcallister.

I see the university on sale as well. I don't have any black shoes and from what people say the 333 last is sleek. I"m in IT myself and I can wear whatever I want, just don't know if I need black shoes. But it would be great to add some versatility

8. jet-stream

jet-stream Well-Known Member

FWIW, the Carlyle in Bourbon is dead sexy. I'm not sure I'd want the Carlyle in a plainer color, but the complexity of bourbon works very well with the unornamented (but shapely) shoe that is the Carlyle. I never gave the Carlyles a second thought until seeing a bourbon version in the wild.

I'd note that for the Carlyle specifically, it would have been better to purchase yesterday; SB had them on sale for $199. Looks like the bourbon closeout price is $219. If you want it and have a good relationship with the sales rep, perhaps call tomorrow and see if they'll honor the Christmas Eve price.

9. 7_rocket

7_rocket Well-Known Member

SPeaking of the carlyle wouldn't it be too similar to the kenilworth? I have the kenilworth in brown and wouldn't want to duplicate the same look if I can help it

So far I have

Brown Kenilworth
    Chili Lasalle
    Walnut Strands
    Navy suede players

I don't mind adding a bourbon in the mix or maybe black. What would you guys chose?

I'm very interested in the larchmount which is on the 333 last. Problem is I have no way to try them on. One person said they went with their normal 5 last on the 333 last.

The Mcallister is a good looking shoe as well.

Decisions I tell ya.

I'm in IT and I wear dress pants and chino's 4 days a week and jeans on Fridays.

1 person likes this.
  10. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Well-Known Member

I'm not a black shoe guy. I have one pair of black Weejuns and an old pair of Johnson Murphy's for when I have to wear a suit. The bourbon Fifth Ave are running near the top for me. I like the Carlyle, but a tad plain with chinos. I have 4 strands so looking to maybe change it up. Mcallisters in the running too.

11. smfdoc

smfdoc Well-Known Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."

12. cc808314

Why bals only? Why not a blutcher like the Flatiron or the Lexington. Even Mora 2.0 will give you other possibilities. I am in similar boat as you. With many pairs I still don't have anything in bourbon, but I am looking to get a pair. I am not a big fan of the color, to begin with, but that's a person thing. To me, it looks much better with plain designs like PTB and cap toe.

Do keep in mind that it is a strange color that requires extra caution in maintanance so that you don't strip off the black burnishing, leaving the walnut underneath exposed. Additionally, AE has very time achieving consistant color on a pair, and the few first that I have seen in stores had significant striping. The issue is more evident with simpler designs, so keep that in mind if you go that route.

I am personally looking at Mora 2.0, but I haven't really been able to dial in on the 108 last. Plus I am kind of "terrified" of the tiger stripes, and I would hate to go back and forth.

13. jet-stream

The 333 is my favorite last; sleek is a good term. Black Universities are pretty nice - a coworker has them and I overhear compliments regularly.
    My black shoes are also 333 (Rutledge, my favorite AE style) and they go over well.

14. jet-stream

+1 to FaRKle's comment.

The 65 is not a great last for me - I'm 11E in it, while I'm 11D in everything else. I tried on 11E Daltons once and was absolutely swimming in them. I would certainly not size up; your Strand size is likely to work.

15. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Well-Known Member

Interesting what you say about the maintenance. I wasn't aware of that. But the FA, Mcallister, and Strand don't have burnishing do they? I can see the Lexington does.
    I've never been a fan of Monk Straps. I have a couple pair of blutchers, milkshake suede Leeds being a favorite.

It looks like the University is more of a suit shoe, especially in black?? No bourbon either. I can't find a Rutledge, are these discontinued? That said, I do like the University. Sexy shoe.

16. jet-stream

The 333 is slightly wider than the 65 and is longer overall (but not functionally longer; the toe is simply a bit pointier but there is no additional forward/backward room).
    I'm an 11D in all lasts but the 65 and the 1943 (which doesn't fit me at all); I'm an 11E in the 65 (and fit is not ideal). I'd say that the 333 in 11D is essentially halfway in between a 65 11D vs. 11E.
    Of note, the 108 and 333 are pretty similar for me. If your LaSalle and Strand are the same size, I'd go with that size for the 333 shoes. If they are different, the devil is in the details, but I'd lean toward the 108 size.

Re: Carlyle vs. Kenilworth - the differences aren't blantantly obvious, but really that's up to you. Personally, I really like the bourbon Carlyle.

17. jet-stream

Yes, Rutledges are discontinued. They were in the last lineup of independence shoes. You can occasionally find one or two floating around ebay, but they will be challenging to acquire. Apologies - didn't mean to tease, just saying that the 333 is a good last.

18. cc808314

All of the bourbons are burnished, black over walnut. AE does not have a regular bourbon color like black, walnut, dark brown, etc.

19. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Well-Known Member

Boots and holiday pants. A Merry Christmas indeed!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. ace13x

ace13x Well-Known Member

This is what I was implying a previous post when i said I preferred the PA over the Carlyle. On its own the Bourbon Carlyle is HOT, but given your typical work attire, seems a little plain, IMO, between the 5th Ave, PA and Carlyle, I like the 5th Ave best with chinos. My order of preference (MINUS Strands) is 5th, McAllister, PA, Carlyle. You asked it the McAllisters would look weird with chinos, my response: not at all. But since you see to be a little Brogue heavy (with 4 pairs of Strands), the 5th Ave sort of bridges the gap with just a touch of broguing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.