1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Personally, I think bourbon looks best on the Strand, but given your situation, I can see how grabbing another Strand might be redundant. I'm going to take a stab in the dark, but I would guess that from your work description, your typical work shoes are "nicer" than at least 50% of the people around you. If your comfortable with wearing what you have now, then you probably won't have to worry about the level of formality. Don't know what your other AE's are, but the Carlyle an intriguing option; though I like the PA better. I don't thing the McAllister would look weird with chinos.

Somehow I don't think I've been much help.

2. 22busy

22busy Senior member

I have the bourbon Carlye and it's still my favorite of 9 pair of AE shoes. I don't care to double up on the same style in different colors. I prefer to diversify a little. The Carlye is the only shoe I've considered making an exception. I REALLY want a pair in black.

3. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I swear this has been discussed before, but I can't for the life of me find a post on it. Anyone have first hand sizing experience with the Dalton vs Sauk Dr?.

5. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Senior member

I like those. Just not sure of the Cognac color, would like to see in person. Hard to do in AZ. One AE store in the valley and I'm not up to fighting mall nuts tomorrow.

Thanks, I enjoyed reading your comments. Your "stab in the dark" made me chuckle. Not a brag, but it is probably closer to 90% of the people around me. Engineer types wear the same pair or two of shoes until they wear out. Which usually doesn't take long as most of them are cheap crap.

I agree that the bourbon looks a bit better in the Strand than the Mcallister, just not sure I want another Strand, although I love mine. The Carlyle is growing on me.

1 person likes this.
  6. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Thanks! How have you liked them?

7. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I don't blame you at all. One more pic that is closer to true color:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Does anyone know if AE x Brooks Brothers shoes come with bags? Just got a pair in the mail that appear a little beat up in a box that clearly took a big hit at some point. Shoes are laced and there are no bags in the box.

9. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

LOL. I sort of figured that, but didn't want to sound insulting, so I gave my self some wiggle room. For the record, I was a Physics major, so I know the ecosystem.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

If you're ordering from an AE outlet or the shoebank, then no they don't. If you got them from BB, I would contact customer service.

11. ptr1988

ptr1988 Senior member

This will be my 2nd pair of Allen Edmonds. I am looking to purchase the dalton wingtip dress boots bourbon since its on sale right now I wear a 7.5 (D) width in the Strand. Do I get the same size and width, 7.5 (D) for the dalton wingtip boot? Or get size 7.5 (E)? The strand in 7.5 (D) fits me perfectly.

12. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

I would stick to the same size in the Dalton. You will have a bit more room in the ball of the foot, but it shouldn't be loose. You definitely won't want to size up on the width going from the 65 to 511 last.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  13. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I've bought a couple pairs from the BB retail store and they did not come with the bags. Violin guy? [​IMG]

14. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I take offense at that - that doesn't apply to everyone [​IMG]

But kidding aside - if the McTavish fit you ok, you totally don't need to see the cognac in person - the color is killer, I can attest to that. The tan is a little too light. I got the black a while back - it has enough brown contrast stitching and combined with the brown edge it isn't bad, but on hindsight cognac was the way to go.

15. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I really like them. I intend to use them as a foul weather dress boot. The leather is super soft, especially when compared to my calf version. The dainite sole will need a little more break-in.

16. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

[​IMG] Once you have faced the demon that is the Redwing Beckman, breaking in anything else is a walk in the park.

17. clb89

clb89 Member

[​IMG]

merry christmas everyone! no snow here in ontario sadly green christmas

18. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

Sometimes they do I suppose. Unless BB is special in that regard. One of the Sauk Drive 2nds I ordered came with bags, the other didn't. My Leeds 2nds didn't.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  19. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

@Russet Brown: I have Sauk Drives, not Freiburgs, but I find them pretty red. My local cobbler matched the color with a "Bordeaux" cream and I'd say it's pretty accurate. Maybe Bordeaux is a bit too red compared to the Russet Brown. I plan on mixing it with something darker from time to time.

20. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    PSA. The shoe bank site prices have been updated for the winter clearance prices. :slayer: Go and get them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.