Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ink007

Ink007 Member

My 2 for $200 are being shipped as we speak! I got a pair of walnut Lombards and Cambridge brogue. Anyone own a pair of the Cambridge brogues? What do you think of them? Will definitely post pics once they arrive next week.

I currently own a pair of walnut Flatirons and natural McTavish. The McTavish are one of the most comfortable shoes I've ever slipped into and they are fantastic looking. The Flatirons aren't bad either [​IMG].

2. CJG_NYC

CJG_NYC Senior member

Mind commenting on how the McTavish (5-last) fits vs. the Flatiron (3-333 last)? Are you wearing the same size in both? Thanks!

As for me -- my 2 for 200 should arrive tomorrow! Brown/Brown Mesh Strawfut and Snuff Suede Players!

3. albeindc

albeindc Senior member

wore my Walnut McAllisters for the first time yesterday. First hour or so was a little bit uncomfortable because the insole and leather was stiff (as expected), but it got a lot more comfortable throughout the day as it broke in. Once home, did the full cleaning/conditioning/polishing process minus the heel+bottom dressing bit and popped the trees back in. So far so good.

4. Ink007

Ink007 Member

Sure thing. I generally wear a 10/10.5. shoes. In regards to the Flatirons, I tried on both the 10D and 10E. The 10D was a little tight and long whereas the 10E was just too big. I needed the shoes for an event so I went with the 10D. After two wears, my right foot was killing me. Just too tight. I brought them back and had them order me a 9.5E and will report back once those come in. They are truly stunning shoes and remind me of the JL Chelmsford but at a fraction of the cost!

I bought the McTavish after the Flatirons. Knowing the fit issues I had with the Flatirons, I ordered the McTavish in 9.5E, and they fit like a glove. Very comfortable all around. As the reviews of the McTavish on the AE website say, you do have to size down on the 5-last and it's true. The McTavish are awesome shoes. They are little heavy due to the extremely thick soles, but are so comfortable to wear. Hope this helps.

5. CJG_NYC

CJG_NYC Senior member

That is helpful, thanks! Report back after you get your 9.5E in the flatiron. It will be interesting to see if you are finding the 5-last and 3-last to fit similarly.

I'm a bit uneasy about my Players that are on their way. I ordered them in the same size as I wear in my 5-lasts (and in my Randolphs...) -- I did some reading and a lot of people say they wear the same size in their 2, 8, and 5 lasts, but I also read just as many people say they had to go a bit wider in the 2... The Players are my first foray into the 2-last so we'll see what happens...trial and error I guess (especially when it comes to a 2 for $200 deal that is just too good to pass up!).

But I'm definitely interested in hearing more about your 3-last fit...all of the shoes on that last are on my radar! Thanks again!

6. aspasp

aspasp Senior member

Question everybody: Is the Strand in walnut a little too old/stuffy for a college sophomore?

7. Jaggs

Jaggs Senior member

Those walnut shell Strands might be the best shoes AE makes.

8. albeindc

albeindc Senior member

depends on what school you go to and if you're going to be wearing these every day or just for special events

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Harvard College... no

Community College...

Last edited: May 8, 2012

10. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Catskills that I picked up off the bay for $35 + shipping.

[​IMG]

11. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Were they new? Great deal!

12. aspasp

aspasp Senior member

"depends on what school you go to and if you're going to be wearing these every day or just for special events"

I am an upcoming sophomore at NYU. I would probably wear it to special events/maybe class sometimes.

13. theclipper

theclipper Senior member

Sorry for a sizing question, hopefully it's not too much of a thread derail. I'm trying to figure out what size I might take in the Macneils. I measured myself on a Brannock the other day and found my heel-to-toe to be 9.5 while my heel-to-ball was between 10-10.5. My width was between B&C, probably closer to C. If anyone has any suggestion or input I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much!

14. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

In terms of the brannock, I am a 8.5D and i find that the 5 last fits true to size. The Macneil, I find is a little more cramped at the toe due to the clipped toe, but much wider at the heel. If I were you, I would be cautious when it comes to heel slip, as the heel is pretty wide on the 7 last (especially for a B or C)

15. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Not new, but in like new shape. Soles look barely worn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.