1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I'm a well-known McTavish junkie. My vote goes for the McT's. I think they're more versatile than the other 3.

Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

How can anyone not like the Cognac Mctavish?

3. aero25

aero25 Senior member

Agree with others. I'd go McTavish all the way.

4. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

HHhhhh... The McTavish Army...

5. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Yes, the McTavishes are everywhere.......

[​IMG]

6. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

7. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Is it the angle or is the captoe massive on these?

8. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I actually tried all 4 of these so I guess I'll comment. Hands down the McTavish was the best looking, although I wasn't in love with the larger fit. I don't know what it is about the Strandmok, but I just hate the color options. I guess the tan one is the most versatile, but it looks super dull in person. That other one - the brown "distressed" color, I liked better on the shelf since it was sort of more odd and unique looking, but when I had it on, wow, the welt and orange sole dominated everything - couldn't stand it. The Neumok in that tan color was very nice and the material is softer than the other Neumoks, but the color is unusual enough that I could only see it strictly with denim and no way with anything else, which kinds of limits it.

Went with the McTavish...in black :)

9. mrfixit

mrfixit Senior member

[​IMG]
    Walnut dalton

1 person likes this.
  10. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Of the choices given, I prefer the McTavish. The color and style are versatile, and they are fully lined.
    I would also suggest the Oak Street or Clark Street in brown.

11. shades9323

shades9323 Well-Known Member

I've read this a couple of times now about the fit of the McTavish. How large is it? I would normally wear an 8e in the 65 last, would I try a 7.5e in the McTavish?

12. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

PSA, there are a few good deals on 6pm. Black and Chilli University, Walnut Rouge, Jodox and Francesca, to name a few

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  13. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Of the choices, I'm with everyone else: McTavish. Its the most versatile. By any chance, is he a student? There is a sale going on:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/student...17_StudentOffer&utm_content=Hero_StudentOffer

Would a Strand be too formal/dress?

14. DGY1atTMW

DGY1atTMW Well-Known Member

--First choice for ME is brown Strandmok....real personality to this shoe, wear mine with jeans, chinos and even a brown plaid suit...love this shoe
    --BUT if I'm looking for purely a casual casual shoe, my BLUE Neumoks rule - with denim - and RED laces in - man, I love them

One piece of advice from MY experience: if you do buy Neumoks or any un-lined shoe, go a half-size down IMO - i.e. I wear an 8.5D in everything (including Strandmoks), but my 8D Neumoks fit like a glove.

And feel free to remind ur boyfriend that he's a lucky guy to have a girlfriend who shops for AE shoes for him at XMas = feel free to kick him to the curb if he doesn't like WHATEVER you choose :)

15. zstratiou

zstratiou New Member

Sorry! Didn't know what the quote button was for. But in response to ace13x:

Of the choices, I'm with everyone else: McTavish. Its the most versatile. By any chance, is he a student? There is a sale going on:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/student...17_StudentOffer&utm_content=Hero_StudentOffer

Would a Strand be too formal/dress?

I didn't know they offered that promotion, that's a really awesome deal. Would you recommend the strand or mcallister?

16. zstratiou

zstratiou New Member

Also, in response to youngsweet, again sorry!

Thank you for this! I just pulled the trigger and bought the rogue in the walnut burnished calf.
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone own these or tried them on? Any complaints?

17. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Yes, this is pretty normal. I have this on several shoes, including a pair of strands that fit perfectly and a pair of PA's a half size larger. Both are comfortable and have no structural issues.

18. DGY1atTMW

very different stylistically....if he like the "ornate" looking detailing, the McAllister...If he leans to the "simpler" look, the Strand.

The Strand is a great starting point to building a shoe wardrobe - which from your original post sounds like where you/your boyfriend are.

Black in either is fine, but Brown/Chili/Merlot or Oxblood offer a little more "persibality" IMO and are still very suitable for a wide range of dress pant/suit colors including navy, gray and brown/beige

19. DGY1atTMW

also, dont forget when buying these:

--pick up the Sole Edge Dressing that matches the sole of the shoe
    --pick up the matching AE polish - for colors other than black especially, you'll need a polish that is an exact color match, which typically you wont find at your local shoe store

20. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

I always thought the rogue was a beautiful shoe, though I'm a fan of the chili in this particular style. As long as they fit, he ought to love these. If the fit is off at all, be sure to call customer assistance and arrange for an exchange. They are usually super helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.