• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well worn even in wet grass and rain
After a visit to B. Nelson
Hey Cold Iron, why B. Nelson and not AE for the recraft? B. Nelson did a beautiful job; just curious.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tell me about it. My Eagle County is arriving this week and I'm worried as hell about the size! Because I couldn't go wider than 3E, I had to order a half-size longer... and the 2 last is already incredibly long! Here's crossing fingers... but if the 5th Ave was available when I placed my order, it would have been my clear preference.

Another thing with the First Avenue is I would want to see how the toe creases when worn. The Lexington has a terrible issue with creasing in the toe cap; I hope they have corrected the problem with the First Avenue. Even though it's a different last, I think it's an issue with the way the toe is constructed in the Lexington, and I wonder if it will do the same in the First Avenue.

Last edited:

kentyman

Reaction score
So is ox blood replacing merlot?

I'd personally be fine with it, but they haven't announced anything like that to my knowledge.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is ox blood replacing merlot?

I'd personally be fine with it, but they haven't announced anything like that to my knowledge.

Only issue with that is according to the postcard blood is a burnished finish so I think that requires being more careful than merlot which is dyed from what I understand.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah...didn't need this...Going to order the McKinley in Golden CXL it is an AE Dominican but if it fits that is a steal for 127 after the discount for next summer boat shoe rotation to give my Addison's a break. Plus if it does not fit I have plenty of time to get one that fits right.

Also going to order the Gobi snuff suede second which I did not get during the sale due to the potential of the Portland suede tanker and the Dundee shell - will see if it fits...if it does that should calm my Dundee shell/light welt urge down a bit.
Haha, you know that you're just saying this to convince yourself that the urge to get that Dundee + light welt will lessen, when in fact deep down your heart you know it won't until you get that Dundee + light welt right?

Yeah...didn't need this...Going to order the McKinley in Golden CXL it is an AE Dominican but if it fits that is a steal for 127 after the discount for next summer boat shoe rotation to give my Addison's a break. Plus if it does not fit I have plenty of time to get one that fits right.

Also going to order the Gobi snuff suede second which I did not get during the sale due to the potential of the Portland suede tanker and the Dundee shell - will see if it fits...if it does that should calm my Dundee shell/light welt urge down a bit.

Go to the trunk show next month and order a one off in that makeup! They'll waive the fee. :)

I have been trying to ignore you two....lol.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have been trying to ignore you two....lol.
Resistance is futile Kahuna you know that this is a once in a blue moon chance to score some rare shell with no custom fee without having to rally 12 people. Even makers like Carmina won't allow a GMTO for shell and a single MTO would carry a hefty price tag (150% of cost).

I think I got you baited. Lol. :)

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
Specs on your MTO?
Nothing special about the make up. Just a standard Macneil. Tone on tone stitching. Double Redenbach sole with a split reverse welt. Shell Walnut Cordovan with brown edge. I also have the same make up with a natural welt. Love them both.

Mean Mr Mustard

Reaction score
The Oxblood is now available on their website. I was hoping for a special introductory offer but I suppose I can wait till Black Friday and see what they offer. I was also hoping for a 5th Ave in Oxblood but no such luck. Nice to finally have a burgundy Strand available, though.

RitchieBro

Reaction score

A little chill in the air today in GA
Broke out the RL cords with my University

ultravisitor

Reaction score
Okay, I'm new, and I'm posting to tell you all that you are a horrible bunch of enablers. I had one pair of Allen Edmonds before I found you people. Now I'm starting to buy a new pair each month.

Anyway, I'm totally getting in on this cordovan trunk sale--I almost jumped on a pair of Macneils during the Rediscover America sale. I've been wanting a longwing for a long time. Question: would it be crazy for me to order a pair of navy Macneils and get them made up to basically look like a more polished version of the Banchory? I'm not sure exactly how I want the sole and welt to be done. It feels like something might be a bit off with them if I were to simply go with the black double sole. We're business casual at work, so I think I'd get a lot of use out of them whichever way I went.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay, I'm new, and I'm posting to tell you all that you are a horrible bunch of enablers. I had one pair of Allen Edmonds before I found you people. Now I'm starting to buy a new pair each month.

Anyway, I'm totally getting in on this cordovan trunk sale--I almost jumped on a pair of Macneils during the Rediscover America sale. I've been wanting a longwing for a long time. Question: would it be crazy for me to order a pair of navy Macneils and get them made up to basically look like a more polished version of the Banchory? I'm not sure exactly how I want the sole and welt to be done. It feels like something might be a bit off with them if I were to simply go with the black double sole. We're business casual at work, so I think I'd get a lot of use out of them whichever way I went.
Navy with natural welt and edge doesn't sound crazy to me at all if you dress casually. In fact navy LWB on split reverse welt double soles would be quite difficult to pull off as formal wear anyway regardless of edge and welt color IMHO.

rostov

Reaction score
Navy with natural welt and edge doesn't sound crazy to me at all if you dress casually. In fact navy LWB on split reverse welt double soles would be quite difficult to pull off as formal wear anyway regardless of edge and welt color IMHO.

My Navy Banchory is one of my favorite shoes, if not my favorite overall, but yes -- I dress casually. The light welt is a perfect match. I've also discovered a new love for LWBs.

Really, of all the styles in this MTO opportunity, the MacNeil is the one that really peaks my interest. Getting a shell version of my Banchory would be amazing, but one pair of Navy LWBs is probably enough for anybody. What I really need is one in brown or burgundy, though given the opportunity to own one in natural or even green is tempting...

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

don't worry, that's just the natural progression

new guy asks which second pair of shoe to buy to rotate it with his cole haans at under $250

new guy buys one pair and realizes a week later he may need a third pair

new guy frantically browses the shoebank during a sale to purchase his 3rd and 4th pair and maybe even a 5th pair

new guy then ponders whether he needs a separate pair for various functions and proceeds to buy a collections of AEs : rain (scotch grain bluchers), snow (commando soled boots), formal events (single leather black captoes), work (stitched dark brown captoes), work casually (merlot wingtips), work in style (walnut strands), work at home (suede bluchers),

new guy finally participates in a trunk show to buy rare shells and proceeds to post pictures of them on the AE thread

new guy becomes an enabler and joins the rank of the other 50+ enablers in the thread, lurking in the shadows for the “next” new guy to inquire about AEs

Shoes4play

Reaction score
don't worry, that's just the natural progression

new guy asks which second pair of shoe to buy to rotate it with his cole haans at under $250

new guy buys one pair and realizes a week later he may need a third pair

new guy frantically browses the shoebank during a sale to purchase his 3rd and 4th pair and maybe even a 5th pair

new guy then ponders whether he needs a separate pair for various functions and proceeds to buy a collections of AEs : rain (scotch grain bluchers), snow (commando soled boots), formal events (single leather black captoes), work (stitched dark brown captoes), work casually (merlot wingtips), work in style (walnut strands), work at home (suede bluchers),

new guy finally participates in a trunk show to buy rare shells and proceeds to post pictures of them on the AE thread

new guy becomes an enabler and joins the rank of the other 50+ enablers in the thread, lurking in the shadows for the “next” new guy to inquire about AEs

Sounds like my story, but you forgot one step...

New guy gets into arguments with the wife because he is starting to purchase more shoes than she does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads