1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam H

Sam H Senior member

I've used navy meltonian on oak Meermins with good results, but they are a bit of a lighter shoe I believe. Maybe look around and see if people have used navy in this context with darker AEs without it being disastrous, and if it seems to be the case, then I'd recommend it also

2. Mattikins

Mattikins New Member

Why thank you very much for the compliment. The tank goes very nicely with khaki colored pants. On the website the picture showed it as being a lighter color than it actually is in person. Looking forward to purchasing more shoes from Allen Edmonds in the future. If you don't mind me asking what made your pair be marked as seconds?

3. Mattikins

Mattikins New Member

Thank you very much for moving this to the proper thread @Murlsquirl looking forward to being a part of this lovely community.

4. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

5. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Merlot (though they look almost identical to my burnished chili version) monk strap Monday?
    [​IMG]

6. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I'm not terribly fond of the mid-grey pants and merlot shoes. Of course I figured this out just now, by looking at the picture above. What would you guys suggest? Darker grey and blues? Maybe something brownish in wool?

7. alexnb

alexnb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply! Wow... wish they still made the tan... I like that version much more.

8. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Am I color blind? I don't even see a hint of red.

9. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

Those have got to be Chili, not Merlot. I agree there is no sign of red/burgundy there!

10. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Also...Merlot would have black edge dressing

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  11. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

True ^^^^^^^

12. Mcbeck

Mcbeck Well-Known Member

Quote:I've ordered a cognac pair, but I like the tan color a lot too. Had they been available, I probably would have bought those. Unfortunately, AE is discontinuing the McTavish line in any color, at least for the immediate future. They are just selling off existing inventory in whatever sizes they have remaining.

13. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Interesting. Here is a side by side of chili (purchased first, but were too short) and what I thought was merlot. The latter has much more purple in it and no burnishing.
    [​IMG]

14. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Don't worry too much about coordinating just the shoes and trousers. I think this is often a mistake. Sure there are combinations that look better or worse by themselves, but in the end, you have to take a look at the whole package. One shade darker is always a good rule of thumb for those with less discernment, but depending on what is upstairs, I think Merlot can look just as bad with blue as it can with brown; or they can both look great. E.g. I think my Merlot loafers look awful with dark brown slacks when alone; there isn't enough contrast. But when I put on my purple tattersall shirt with a white base, they look great, and I can't imagine wearing any other shoe. The combo above takes on new life if you are wearing a navy blazer with a white shirt and a red or burgundy tie up top. Context context context. Never look at things removed from their context.

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman without discretion."

15. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

The color seems much closer to this example, posted by @misterellington than the other burnished chili shoes I have (included the slightly short Franciscans). I think the edging might be the key to distinguishing the difference. Then again with AE, I guess you never really know...

16. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

The lack of black edging is curious, but if you're happy with the color and have a belt to coordinate, who cares?

17. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

Any ideas when the next shoebank sale will be? Thinking of getting the tan McTavish, but I'm not in a rush. I also don't want them to sell out though since it's discontinued.

I have the dark brown/cognac McTavish, Walnut Strand, and Dark Brown Fifth Ave. Would this be a worthwhile addition?
    Should I look at another style? Neumok?

18. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Senior member

It's been a while since I partook in the thread, but here's the first outing of my Sauk Drive seconds. Aside from the wrinkles where they'll develop anwyay, and a slight dent across the left toe cap, they're fantastic! The fit is one of the best I've had in my normal size (13D on the 65, 511 and 234) and I'm breaking these in in preparation for New Year's in NY.

[​IMG]

This SoCal guy is ready for the snow! Sort of...

1 person likes this.
  19. Nolaman

Nolaman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Well, I've gone and done it. My first pair of shell. I blame all of you.

4 people like this.
  20. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I don't find that my AE Natural shell shoes have much, if any, factory dye or goop on them. I just brush the shit out of them and clean with Bick 4 and polish with VSC (very very sparingly).
    Congrats and enjoy. It won't be your last pair of shell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.