1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Always buy things like this, immediately. You can always return.

Good strategy, doubt it will work though...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Due to a chance meeting between my left foot and a cast iron skillet, my foot is a little too swollen to wear any footwear except these thankfully girthy Shakers:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Wrapping up shoe week with the Shelton

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. aglose

aglose Senior member

Does anyone know a good place to get a shaker heights for less than they are on Amazon? All the pictures here have converted me.

Edit I'm a 9D if anyone wants to part with theirs.

5. Dario65

Dario65 Senior member

Yesterday it was no coffee. Today there is coffee but with a frying pan on your foot. I'm concerned about tomorrow.

2 people like this.
  6. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

Everytime I see these now I regret not "wanting" them when they were available...

There's a non-tweed version on eBay right now in 9D.

7. Saturninus

Saturninus Well-Known Member

Hello Allen Edmonds Gurus

Can one of the enlightened help me decipher AE's color coding, specifically in relation to Merlot//Oxblood/Burgundy? Unfortunately, there are no AE stores within 2,000 miles of where I live, so I cannot see these shoes in person, and they kinda all look the same online

So is Merlot the same as Oxblood is the same as Burgundy in AE Terminology? If not, could someone rank them along the spectrum from blackish-purple to brownish red?

I'm guessing that Merlot is the darkest and most purple, Oxblood is a little lighter and redder, and Burgundy is closest to brownish red.

Is this a fair interpretation? And which is the closest to Color #8?

8. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Wore my Shakers again today also! Snapped a quick pic, but there were others coming down the stairs, so the pic was blurry.

9. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I have one of the $50 off coupons that came in the last catalog. I don't think I will use it by the expiration date (end of Dec, iirc), and I hate for it to go to waste. Anyone in the market for full price firsts? If so, shoot me a PM and I'll let it go for super cheap [​IMG].

10. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Before everyone gets all upset about selling a coupon... I was being sarcastic. By super cheap I mean $0.

11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Haha! Without really getting into it, my personal health is a bit of a mess right now. Even so, yesterday was a comedy of errors of which the frying pan was the least concern. Fortunately I have a wonderful family, wonderful music, and wonderful footwear to distract me. And it's CHRISTMAS SEASON!!

I think most would be hard pressed to tell the difference IRL. I think oxblood looks the most like crup in my own pictures. See below.

[​IMG]

Haha! Yeah it's an illicit covert activity for sure. My neighbor's in south Brooklyn probably think I'm a putz every morning.

1 person likes this.
  12. itzafugasi

itzafugasi Active Member

Varno 2.0, very comfortable!

[​IMG]

13. Saturninus

Saturninus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Awesome - are those cordovans? What model/make? It' the exact color I'm looking for. Horween Color #4?

14. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

E for Brooks Brothers Suede Macneils..

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Peppercorn - sounds like you've had some adversity but a great attitude. That's a good thing. Take care of yourself!

16. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

McT's at the coffee shop...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Coffee is long gone by this point, but here's a pic. Hope everyone has a great weekend!
    [​IMG]

18. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

Stopped by the Plano, TX AE store today. My plan was to buy the Bartlett in both brown and walnut. And then I saw the walnut.

The "burnishing" on toe of the walnut was NOT good. It looked like someone had streaked some brown watercolor paint onto the toe and left it at that. It looked careless and without the least thought for aesthetics.

The brown, on the other hand, was magnificent. To paraphrase a Tribe Called Quest, they felt like buttah. And looked rich and luscious. To me there was no competition. The brown was the only choice.

I was expecting the opposite, based on SF's preference for the walnut Strand. To each his own, I guess.

19. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

I'm not a cordovan guy. But wow. The color. The glow.

1 person likes this.
  20. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Those are calf. Pretty sure those are the Oxblood Eagle County/River from one our the many GMTOs.

The closest shell color to that would be Color #6, which Horween hasn't made in a very long time. Color #4 is probably the next closest. You could also get some Color #8 and lighten it in the sun or with a lot of wear.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.