1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

They are actually comparable to Jcrew pants I've had before. But I had to go a size up in these and they fit well.

Not the chinos, they are part of a suit actually but I just got the pants..

2. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Is dark chili truly a "burnished" color in the sense that bourbon and oxblood are? I've seen a few people suggest that here, but haven't ever seen confirmation. For some reason I was under the impression that the dark chili was truly its own color leather (and, hence, using cleaner conditioner + dark chili polish would be fine).

3. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Yes, it is actually (heavily) burnished, like bourbon and oxblood.

I would recommend using the same care and caution as with bourbon and oxblood so as to not ruin the burnishing.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

5. nbj08

nbj08 Senior member

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the proper care and caution when polishing bourbon? All along I've been merely conditioning and using bourbon cream polish, while shining the toes and heels with brown wax...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  6. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Paul G. wanted to name the new colors after AE employees, so they named the new darker chili "Bob's Chili" after Bob (head of finishing, I think) and the new oxblood color "Jose's Oxblood" (after another employee in the finishing dept). Bob's Chili stuck more effectively than Jose's Oxblood, and I think AE somewhat gave up (I'm guessing marketing didn't like the color names), so now they're just Dark Chili and Oxblood.

Due to the heavily burnished finish, some folks think that using the colored polish might alter the burnishing (it does, on some pairs in some cases). You will often hear the recommendation to just use conditioner and neutral wax/polish to maintain the factory burnishing. Some people think that conditioner can remove some of the burnishing or that the colored polishes can tone down the burnished look or dull it.

It really depends on the pair, how heavily burnished it is, and your style. I personally use black polish on the heavily burnished AE colors (bourbon, dark chili, and oxblood) to keep up the burnished look.

7. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

Cream or wax?

8. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

+1

[​IMG]

I sometimes reach for chili when wearing grey slacks as I like my shoes to 'pop.' The more I look at the grey/bourbon combo, the more I like it. As someone else pointed out here a few days ago, bourbon also looks great with mid blues.

9. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

[​IMG]

Love a little wool with my walnut Wednesday . A WWW!

10. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

Thanks! I don't drink coffee, but my office does have free oatmeal in the mornings. Thought you might enjoy that substitute.

I just used AE tube polish in black and walnut.

11. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

To go along with the theme of the recent posts, I have a pair of dark chili Daltons with the new AE shinny finishing. I'd like to tone down some of that finishing as it looks very platicy, and squeaks a lot. I guess, my attempts to remove it will destroy the burnished effect. Any recommendations?

12. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

Planning to go the local AE tomorrow. Was planning to pick up some lotion, polish, etc...
    What do I need to get?

I have dark brown Long Branch, Brown Fifth Ave, Brown McTavish, and Walnut Strand.

13. feeble

feeble Active Member

@mcbeck congrats, I'm in the same boat and just bought the same shoe. Park Avenue in burnished brown. Had to take advantage of the student offer :).

The AE sales rep talked me into buying the following: waterproofing (but I read that was only for mok and suede shoes, it makes calfskin leather peel or causes discoloration?), a horsehair brush, conditioner and dark brown polish. I was going to sit down this weekend figure out what I'm supposed to do. Hopefully I don't ruin anything.

I also bought a pair of Badlands in brown and the La Merche in terra Dallas. I have no idea what sort of polish I'm supposed to use on terra Dallas.

I hesitate to turn this into a shoe care thread since there is one already, just wanted to let you know you aren't the only new person in the AE club :).

14. 22busy

22busy Senior member

I went into a store during RDA to buy a pair of strands. They had a Cornwallis in my size (they don't carry much in E width). They seemed to fit about like the 65 to me. I have a high instep so they have a bit too much lace gap. The Strand does also, but I love the walnut strand so I bought it anyway.

1 person likes this.
  15. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

16. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Maiden voyage of the BB Warwick.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I would use a warm damp rag and wipe them down and brush then apply a few applications of leather lotion that should tone them down a bit without ruining the burnish

18. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Fabulous looking

19. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

MTO Kenilworths in brown crup. Again, no coffee on doctor's orders. :uhoh:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    2 people like this.
  20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

You need a new doctor...shoes look great though...hope everything is ok.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.