1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Al Dente

Al Dente Senior member

I used a metal file and no problems since, but the scratches are still visible on the CXL. Mink oil darkened the scratches some but they are still visible. Now I know to check all the metal parts before wearing the shoes.

1 person likes this.
  2. MichaelKnight

MichaelKnight Well-Known Member

The AE site suggests going 2 sizes up from your pant size for belts. Most of my pants are 32/33 but this is vanity sizing, I'm a true 34.5-35 waist. Anyone know what belt size is appropriate? I'm guessing to go by true waist size not vanity and hence 36. Thanks, would be ordering across the border so can't afford to return.

Cheers

3. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I always thought it was 2 sizes up from your typical pant size. I am normally a 32 in most pants (closer to a true 34) and I went with 34 in all my wide basic belts and they work great sized that way.

You could measure a belt you own from the buckle to the middle hole and call AE customer service and see if they could measure a belt for you to compare what might be best.

4. froyz25

froyz25 Member

My oxblood Daltons on their first trip outside of the box :)

[​IMG]

Wifey with the shoe game!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    2 people like this.
  5. CR78

CR78 Senior member

Not sure if this is old news, but I went into an AE store yesterday to try on some Graysons and the sales reps told me that the Graysons and Randolphs are no longer going to be produced in their current forms; there will be 2.0 versions that are updated with lower vamps. That's disappointing to me, as I've always felt that lower vamp loafers have an effeminate vibe to them, though I understand that's just a matter of taste. I was told that the Graysons can still be made in shell upon order, which I what I'm looking for.

I'm usually a 9.5D on a Brannock, and due to the "revamping" of the models, sizes were incredibly limited in-store. I got a ton of heel slippage in a Grayson 9D while my toes were tight at the end, so I ordered a pair of 9.5C to try on, as I read that going narrower has fixed some people's heel slippage issue. I wanted to try a Randolph too but they had none at all in stock.

For those of you who couldn't get a good fit on the 7 last due to heel slippage, have you found yourself happy with the fit of any other sleek and light loafer? I sold a pair of C&J for RL "Rhett" shell loafers on here years ago that I couldn't get to work for the same heel slip issue, so maybe I just have a hard foot to fit...

6. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Standard belt sizing everywhere, not just with Allen Edmonds, dictates that you go to inches/2 numbers above your standard pant waist size. Yes, vanity sizing occurs with pants, but I find that this is almost universal. The exact amount by which the vanity size changes the actual measurement does vary slightly, but on average there usually tends to be a pretty good consensus. For instance, I am almost always wearing a size 32 in pants, and a 34 belt fits me every time.

7. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

Co-sign.

8. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

Yet another sizing question...

I have the Strand in 11D, fits great. McTavish in 11D, a little roomy, but still fit. Long Branch in 11D, a little roomy, but still fit.

I've tried the Fifth Ave in 11D and felt more roomy than my others shoes, but the 10.5D was way too tight. I also tried the 10.5E, but the width was too roomy. Is there another shoe in this style, but a different last that I should try? Or just go with the 11D like my other AE shoes?

9. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

+1 - 32 pants, multiple AE size 34 belts, and I hit the middle hole every time...unless I'm wearing jeans that sit lower on my waist (or it's Thanksgiving).

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Morning, gents!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Macneil 5...believe done on 65 last....one of the best offshoot AE offerings...golden brown cxl, contrast stitching, light welt and red dainite are all perfect

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  12. peppercorn78

Whooooo, those are KILLER! totally forgot about MacNeil 5. Where's the coffee?

13. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I believe the youngsters would say, "Those are ballin'."

1 person likes this.
  14. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Me too, minus the great shine of yours.
    [​IMG]

15. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Hampstead's I found recently. Another short-wing style that seems to have vanished from the AE catalog 5-6 years ago.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. peppercorn78

Yours are looking good! I did give mine a much needed Lexol treatment, followed by polish and wax this past weekend to commemorate 50 wears...

17. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Those are gonna look even better with age.

My contribution, shell Daltons:

[​IMG]

18. itzafugasi

itzafugasi Active Member

MacNeil 2.0 in Chili.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

A little more of the red undertones, helped out by the bright Texas sun.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I really like mine. Very comfortable for me. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.