1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robertson

Robertson Senior member

Will it be another year until AE has a sale on shell again?

2. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I'm not an expert, but I'd be furious. That looks terrible...

3. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

They looked much better before. They don't even look like shell after. They were burgundy shell and he used something brown on them??? Makes no sense.

4. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

Someone recently expressed interest in a pair of natural tan McTavish so I thought I'd post a pic of my two-year old pair. These were recently treated with Renomat and went through one recraft (AE mistakenly put on a single sole instead of the double oak sole). They have been treated only with saddle soap over the years:

[​IMG]

Same shoes from a year ago:

[​IMG]
    Hit my beloved Jeffersons with some Renovater (sp?), AE neutral cream polish, and Saphir neutral wax polish on the toe box:

[​IMG]

Same process for my tan Ashbury's but used AE walnut cream polish:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also some pics of a few other AE's I love:

My Amoks. For their first recraft I think I'm going to get the original Mojave sole

[​IMG]

Long Branch:

[​IMG]

5. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Anyone have the previous RDA sale catalogue online?

6. keepsake89

keepsake89 Senior member

What size should I get for the Mora 2.0's if a 7E on the 65 last is tight around the vamp due to a high instep?

I can actually size down to 6.5, I have about an inch from the tip of my toes to the front of the shoe (yes, I have tiny feet).

Should I do 6.5 EE or EEE?

Edit:
    Just realized they do not offer EE or EEE for them. But 6.5EEE is on shoebank. Why is that?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  7. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

2014 RDA from my signature link. 2015 not there yet.

8. bathiel

bathiel Senior member

I take an 8.5D on most AEs (including 65), and for the Mora 2.0, I sized down a half but kept the width the same and they fit great. I did try a half size down and up to an E, but it was definitely too loose. I also have somewhat of a high instep, as I find some of the bals difficult to tighten to an acceptable V-gap.

Bernie

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    They looked much better before. They don't even look like shell after. They were burgundy shell and he used something brown on them??? Makes no sense.
    Thanks all for the feedback. The more I looked at them, the angrier I got. I took them back and told him to get them back to the way they were before and I will see what happens.

10. Dario65

Dario65 Senior member

In wet, dark, cold December my new Sauk Drives have become my "go to" boot. My Danners and Red Wings are sitting on the shelf. Danners are more comfortable but Sauk Drives are comfy enough and look so much better. So I need add something to the rotation. Already have Bellevues on the way. For rubber sole I'm considering Long Branch, Dalton, and First Ave. First Ave is appealing because of the plain toe vs. the winged Sauks, but I would not mind another wing tip boot. Any opinions on fit and comfort between these three?

Leaning toward the LB because of the sole, chromexel, and presumed comfort.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  11. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

what did you put on the Long Branch?

12. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

Love these shoes!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

Went to an antiques mall today and found some AE shoes, a pair of Merlot Park Aves in 12D and some badly scuffed corrected-grain Kingswoods in 13AAA. I've never found second-hand AEs in person before, let alone anywhere close to my size, but sadly neither of these were still a good fit. I still thought it was a cool find.

14. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

The picture was taken shortly after receiving them and not having conditioned with anything. Since that time I've used Leather Honey and more recently Sahpir Renovator. The hold up extremely well and the color maintains over time. Extremely comfortable as well. Also, and if it might be hard to tell in the picture, these are simply brown leather and not CXL leather.

15. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

Thanks. I have a pair of the brown LB's and haven't done anything to them in about 2 years. I have the HDLP that I was about apply, but should I do something else first?

16. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Senior member

When is the next sale? I'm ready to pull the trigger on some Mora 2.0s.

17. keepsake89

keepsake89 Senior member

That makes 2 of us... although, they are on Shoebank for $249 right now.

18. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

Good choice. But I can't answer your question.

19. P12OFIT

P12OFIT Senior member

I have a hard time justifying Shoebank purchases because if I wait for a sale my SA tends to hook me up and I can get my shoes for less than Shoebank prices. I almost bought the Mora 2.0s during the RDA sale but had just made a couple significant purchases at the time so I decided to hold off.

20. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

You are leaning the right way. Very comfy. I give them my unqualified recommendation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.