• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rostov

Reaction score
Brought home my first AE shoes today, black Strands, after weeks of lusting & researching. The incredibly patient salesperson helped me through trying on tens of shoes until we found the right fit. I normally wear an 11.5D and after plenty of trial-and-error, found the 9.5EEE was the best fit for my square, flat feet.

In 30 years, this is the first pair of shoes I've owned that actually fit. I'll ignore anyone that laughs at me wearing my Strands with shorts because, gosh-darn it, at least they'll fit. (Okay, I might not wear them with shorts, but khakis...)

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brought home my first AE shoes today, black Strands, after weeks of lusting & researching. The incredibly patient salesperson helped me through trying on tens of shoes until we found the right fit. I normally wear an 11.5D and after plenty of trial-and-error, found the 9.5EEE was the best fit for my square, flat feet.

In 30 years, this is the first pair of shoes I've owned that actually fit. I'll ignore anyone that laughs at me wearing my Strands with shorts because, gosh-darn it, at least they'll fit. (Okay, I might not wear them with shorts, but khakis...)
Wear them proudly, friend. I used to have to wear 12 D before AE got me into 10.5 EEE. I can't accept any shoe brand that does not carry wides any more.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts on Westchester?

I picked up the Westchester recently at an AE outlet. It's a factory 2nd and was 25% off. Couldn't resist at that price. Fit is tad snug on my right foot. The 7 last isn't as narrow as the 5 last and works pretty well with my foot (on the wide side). With a bit of wear, it's stretched out some. I'm debating getting that shoe stretched. Just put a decent shine on it. Westchester on left.

LeoPTY

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently saw the AE Boulder (tan leather, brown trim) and fell in love with them, but am unsure as to whether or not my wardrobe can handle them.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF71801_1_40000000001_-1

I own no shorts or slacks, only jeans, which are relaxed fit/ boot cut. I usually wear t-shirts or polos (not higher end). Would I be able to pull this off, do I need a fashion upgrade? Thanks for your help.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi all,

I recently saw the AE Boulder (tan leather, brown trim) and fell in love with them, but am unsure as to whether or not my wardrobe can handle them.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF71801_1_40000000001_-1

I own no shorts or slacks, only jeans, which are relaxed fit/ boot cut. I usually wear t-shirts or polos (not higher end). Would I be able to pull this off, do I need a fashion upgrade? Thanks for your help.
fall out of love with them...fast

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on Westchester?

I picked up the Westchester recently at an AE outlet. It's a factory 2nd and was 25% off. Couldn't resist at that price. Fit is tad snug on my right foot. The 7 last isn't as narrow as the 5 last and works pretty well with my foot (on the wide side). With a bit of wear, it's stretched out some. I'm debating getting that shoe stretched. Just put a decent shine on it. Westchester on left.

Magnificent polishing Patrick! The Westchesters look stunning.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info about the Dalton book. At $318, that's a good deal. They look less wide than Tricker's, more like a shoe. I might want to swap in thicker laces or flat laces.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Magnificent polishing Patrick! The Westchesters look stunning.

Thanks. I picked up the Kenilworth during the Rediscover America sale. It's a nice blucher and I loved the brown. I have a couple coats of wax and the dark brown burnishing on the toe looks great. I'll post some pics after a few more coats on them.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. I picked up the Kenilworth during the Rediscover America sale. It's a nice blucher and I loved the brown. I have a couple coats of wax and the dark brown burnishing on the toe looks great. I'll post some pics after a few more coats on them.

Those look great, what kind of wax good sir?

Stamper1924

Reaction score
I just got these (Bayfield) and was a little unsure about the fit and finish of these boots. We don't have an AE store here so I just had to take a leap of faith and order online. Well I'm happy to say that it seems to have worked out. It was a little stiff at first but walking around the house seems to have taken care of that. Compared to my Aldens, the leather seems a bit stiffer but I think over time it will wear in as well as my Alden boots. Upon close examination, the quality of workmanship compared to the Aldens is pretty comparable. I feel it's a perfect casual boot that goes well with jeans and chinos. And for its price point ($200 cheaper than my Aldens) I think it's a great buy.
src
src
With my Alden Plaza Indy and Chromexel Wing Tip boots.
src
src
src

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Stamper! Congratulations. The black Bayfields look great.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i have to agree, the Bayfields look great!
Can't argue with that. They look great. I looked at the new leather sole'd Dalton boot at an AE outlet this week. I was tempted. Both colors (walnut & dark chocolate) look pretty good to me but I have my heart set on a pair of White's SD's this fall so I just couldn't justify both purchases...even though they are so different. The factory 2nd price was $279, I think.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those look great, what kind of wax good sir?

Plain old Kiwi wax in brown. I typically use Saphir Renovateur, then a wax polish. As these were new, I put a coat of AE Cream Polish (from a tube) in Walnut on the entire shoe, then concentrate several thin coats of brown kiwi on the toe. I posted additional specifics in the shoe care thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/228153/...ead-tutorials-photos-etc/200_100#post_4824265

Shoe on far right is the AE Tresana in cabernet brown from the ill-fated, discontinued, Italian-made 'Seven' line (that's a mouthful, huh?) from a few yrs ago.

Definately OT, but here's a decent shine on yearling RMW boots using the same method and products (renovavateur & brown kiwi wax).

Stamper1924

Reaction score

i have to agree, the Bayfields look great!
Thanks guys. So far they've broken in nicely. Unlike my Aldens, the Bayfield's tongue is sewn to the quarters (right term?) of the boot so it provides a bit more waterproofing (like hiking boots) and I applied Obenauf's LP so it should be able to handle pretty rough weather. At the sale price they have now, it's a "no brainer"! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics