1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

When I use the term snug, I try to break them in on carpet with a few hours of wear. Pain or irritation would be a different story. It really depends on how snug you're talking and how snug or loose you feel comfortable. If it might keep you from wearing them, send it back, no question.

2. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  3. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

When I use the term snug, I try to break them in on carpet with a few hours of wear. Pain or irritation would be a different story. It really depends on how snug you're talking and how snug or loose you feel comfortable. If it might keep you from wearing them, send it back, no question.

Can you feel your foot laying over the foot bed? That is what happens to me on the 511 last...13E works great(touch of volume without feeling too long at all) 13D my fit spills over the footbed and I can feel the edge of it so that does not work- 12eee works perfect for me....if I had the option of a 12.5E it would probably be the perfect fit....but I will never know as they do not kmake it...:(

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I'm going to call this Throwback Thursday. Wearing these today. I got these chocolate chamois Holbrooks at the Michigan Ave Chicago AE store in 1996 or 1997. They have been recrafted once. These are from the long-gone AE Corporate Casuals Collection and they are extremely comfortable.
    [​IMG]

And these are my McAllisters that I received as a Christmas gift in 1990 - recrafted once and going strong.
    [​IMG]

Anybody else have some AEs that have been in the family for a while?

Chris

1 person likes this.
  5. Dario65

Dario65 Senior member

Those look fantastic. Is that the original color?

6. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Yes, that is the color since new.

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Whoah, Your Shakers are killer. They're my absolute favorite AE casual makeup of all time. Just gave mine some TLC last night (poor lighting conditions).

[​IMG]

Technically, my Natural Dundees were "stock" items from the Horween/AE trunk shows last year. They were offered in very limited quantities and for a very limited time, though. The problem with making this makeup part of the lineup is that the leather is too scarce for AE to source is large enough quantities to mass produce. The shells used for "Natural" have to be as pristine and perfect as possible (since they don't get dyed, and every minor perfection shows), and there just aren't that many of them around.

But yeah, peruse the MTO thread's history for some of the amazing creative designs from our "golden age," and there are plenty that would make great additions to their lineup. Paul G did confirm that the First Avenue boot was directly inspired by our Eagle County craze.

8. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

Okay, asking this here is a like asking the regulars at a dive bar if I should have another drink, but here goes. I'm thinking about a pair of McTavish in tan and they're in my size on the Shoe Bank at $157. Good but not great (I've been spoiled by some recent purchases). Do I order now or wait for the next Shoe Bank sale? I think there's room for the price to come down further but it's a discontinued model so I could end up relegated to eBay. What say you all?

1 person likes this.
  9. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Wait for sales. If it doesn't go on sale, then you can pull the trigger.

My 2 cents

Edit. This thread seems awfully quiet as of late. What's going on? Normally I ask a question and it gets answered in 15 mins

10. Shoes4play

Shoes4play Senior member

I don't think discontinued models go on sale. It's not gonna drop below the $157.

If you like it, buy it.

11. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Wore my walnut Lombards today. Yes, I know that they don't look very well tied. One of my fingers isn't working right (until I have the procedure to fix it) so I'm not able to do a proper job of tying my shoes......

[​IMG]

12. aero25

aero25 Senior member

Get 'em. I have them and they're one of my most favorite shoes.

As shoes4play said, I don't think clearance styles go on sale.

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

In the past 2 years, the lowest we've seen close out seconds on this kind of shoe is 2/300. So yeah, this is probably as low as she goes.

14. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    A cautionary tale. I was in Burlington Coat today and found a pair of Adams loafers from the Independence collection. $89, so it seemed like a really great deal. I checked in the shoe and one had white lettering on the size and the other was black. One said 8.5D and the other said 9D. Then I noticed that the left was a single oak sole and the other a double oak. Externally, they were identical. It pays to check your shoes before you plop down the cash.

PS, no, there was not another pair there that was the exact opposite.

15. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

So my 9 3E Sauk Drive started hurting the pinky toe over the weekend so I ordered some 9.5 3E. The difference is HUGE IMHO. The pinky is more than fine now. I thought I'd post some pics since someone asked for pics on 3E width vs D before. These show what a half size with same width does. My finger points to the top right point of my pinky toe. I think I could have done 9.5 2E but probably not 9.5 E. With wool socks it's going to be fine I'd say.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can also see the effect that was described a bit earlier with the leather looking weirdly bumpy. The 9.5 are quite smooth and the 9 have a lot of it.

Also the flanks of the boots are much darker than the rest and on the 9.5 left foot it's so dark that it looks like these might be boots made from two different colors. Well, 2nds afterall ...

16. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Hi everyone. Purchased these few days ago thinking that they are shell cordovan. Contacted AE customer service prior to bidding to check, but they were unable to find a shoe with model number 2183. Apparently, AE has made the Walton in cognac shell cordovan with model number 2193. It is going to be interesting, as I have never purchased a used shoe. Anyways, do you think they are shell cordovan? Thank you

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmon...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

17. Buster Brown

I'd say shell. First, rolls versus microcreasing and second, the split leather/rubber sole which is typically applied only to shell models.

18. Buster Brown

Interesting difference on the leather. My seconds were pretty rough (dry feeling, 'raised' wrinkles). I figured that wasn't what they were going for and your pics confirm as much.

19. Buster Brown

Thanks guys. I'll call the outlet tomorrow morning. :cheers:

20. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

Good idea. I have them in natural tan but they darkened considerably and I really need a smaller size (but the tongue pads help). I've had my eye on a second pair (this time in the proper size) for a long time now and I've never seen them below $157.00. Get them while you can!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.