• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichieP

Reaction score
That's weird; I'm an 8.5D/E in the 5-65 (aside from the McTavish which runs way big), but a 9D in the 1-511. As I said, my 9D Shelton is a tad narrow, so E pro'ly would've worked fine.

I take the same, 8.5 E in the 65 last and found the 9 D Shelton to fit well length wise, however it is slightly narrow.

It does seem to crease slightly more than some of my other AE's.

Ah, the vagaries of Internet shoe-size guessing.
lol8[1].gif

I already knew I should be 9.5/10 depending on manufacturer. When my SA measured me in May, he asked if anyone told me I had a narrow foot. I said no, but I probably could've guessed that. So, while I wear a D width, I'm probably on the thinner side of that.

But then again, it could just be shoe-to-shoe variation, too. My Black Hills can be slightly snug in width, my shell Cambridges are slightly wide in the morning when I put them on, but by mid-afternoon, my foot must spread out, because it fits nicely then. And my new Bleecker Streets have been perfect from the first wear. Go figure...

RichieP

Reaction score
So this is tomorrow, nine metro stops from my house:

...Wish I could go, but it'd have to be straight from the office, and it's not like our dog can let himself out. Hope other DC SFers can make it!

Ah, let him take a dump in the house (the dog, not the CEO) and go check it out!
happy.gif

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah, let him take a dump in the house (the dog, not the CEO) and go check it out! :happy:  

Don't do that!! We train them to hold their business in and then feel ashamed when they don't. He'll be uncomfortable and then feel awful!

Again, the dog not the CEO. ;)

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't do that!! We train them to hold their business in and then feel ashamed when they don't. He'll be uncomfortable and then feel awful!

Again, the dog not the CEO. ;)
The CEO might feel a tiny bit awful if he knew I'd forgone my dog's walk to come downtown for a visit.

Welp, there's nothing for it. I'll have to bring the dog. :nodding:

Roma2010

Reaction score
Few questions hoping you guys can help here.. I have 3 AE's.

1) Anyone have to buy glue to put back the rubber part on the heel? My strand's are my go-to going out shoe for the last 6 months, and have started to come off a bit. Also, my McAllister's are a bit coming out from the wooden part. Worn maybe 25 times.

2) What is the proper width that there should be between the shoelaces on either side? When I bought my Mcallister's they seemed to be all lined up and you couldn't see the tongue underneath. But now, there's about a third of an inch toward the toes and about an inch of space up top closer to my ankle (talking about how much of the tongue you can see underneath the shoelaces). Any tighter and my feet hurt.
- The McTavish I got a half size smaller and those are a little worst even, I literally cannot wear them without it hurting.

Not sure how the sizing is so off or if the associate was just in a rush, assuring me the sizing was off. I spend close to $700 there and a little upset..

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Few questions hoping you guys can help here.. I have 3 AE's.

1) Anyone have to buy glue to put back the rubber part on the heel? My strand's are my go-to going out shoe for the last 6 months, and have started to come off a bit. Also, my McAllister's are a bit coming out from the wooden part. Worn maybe 25 times.

2) What is the proper width that there should be between the shoelaces on either side? When I bought my Mcallister's they seemed to be all lined up and you couldn't see the tongue underneath. But now, there's about a third of an inch toward the toes and about an inch of space up top closer to my ankle (talking about how much of the tongue you can see underneath the shoelaces). Any tighter and my feet hurt.
- The McTavish I got a half size smaller and those are a little worst even, I literally cannot wear them without it hurting.

Not sure how the sizing is so off or if the associate was just in a rush, assuring me the sizing was off. I spend close to $700 there and a little upset..
thats quite odd, normally the gap closes with wear as your feet sinks into the cork bed of the shoe.

An in is definitely too much IMHO for bals.

LanceM

Reaction score
Hi all , Just got turned on to the Allen Edmonds brand. At first, I was put off by Allen Edmonds due to the lack of attention given to me by the Chicago store. I went to the cole haan store and they were very helpful, so I bought a pair and quickly realized the quality of the shoe vs the price wasn't impressive.

Luckily and unbeknownst to me, there is an Allen Edmonds store 6 blocks from my residence. The customer service at the New Orleans store was amazing. It was so good, that over two weeks I purchased three pairs of shoes and a matching belt. I'm very appreciative of this thread as it has given me a lot of ideas and thoughts on the Allen Edmonds line.

First purchase was walnut Jeffersons, chilli Franciscans, and finally my bourbon strands and matching manistee belt. I'm hooked now and am awaiting other sales!

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all , Just got turned on to the Allen Edmonds brand. At first, I was put off by Allen Edmonds due to the lack of attention given to me by the Chicago store. I went to the cole haan store and they were very helpful, so I bought a pair and quickly realized the quality of the shoe vs the price wasn't impressive.

Luckily and unbeknownst to me, there is an Allen Edmonds store 6 blocks from my residence. The customer service at the New Orleans store was amazing. It was so good, that over two weeks I purchased three pairs of shoes and a matching belt. I'm very appreciative of this thread as it has given me a lot of ideas and thoughts on the Allen Edmonds line.

First purchase was walnut Jeffersons, chilli Franciscans, and finally my bourbon strands and matching manistee belt. I'm hooked now and am awaiting other sales!

Congrats ...great purchases and welcome!

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
That is really weird...have not had that in any bal shoes I own...did you switch to a winter sock?

I do not know if these are your first pairs of non rubber bottom shoes but the only think I can think of is that your foot has expanded do to walking in proper footwear now. I just read an article online...so it must be true...that rubber shoes, cushy insoles, etc actually in the long run make your feet more tired and tense wearing everyday as the nervs/tendons/muscles are always adjusting themselves to keep your foot balanced with the smushy sole and insole.

I have no idea if any of that is true but thought it was interesting none the less.

Also by the way you picked the one and only thread were you could call a piece on a shoe "wood" and not be ridiculed at nauseum.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this is tomorrow, nine metro stops from my house:

...Wish I could go, but it'd have to be straight from the office, and it's not like our dog can let himself out. Hope other DC SFers can make it!

So that store only is still honoring RDA prices today . . . I wonder if they'll accept phone orders?

Roma2010

Reaction score
Thanks for the help..
No winter socks or change there.. I've walked in kenneth cole and steve maddens or aldo shoes before.

I'll stop on in the local store sometime and ask them what's going on.. I can't afford to spend another $700 and just have these shoes sit, so for now stuck with shoes that don't fit and just hoping no one notices it looks kind of weird. Not too happy about it but what can I do.

I also had to take back the original McAllister's after one wear since the wood was coming off... so far I'm not too impressed with the quality of build of AE. Perhaps I've just gotten a bevy of rare bad experiences? I want to give them a chance.

As for my two tone custom Strands, I love those and picked them up for only $130. Fit great and can wear them to the bar, club, dinner, anywhere.

Last edited:

James60

Reaction score
I'm in England, and so had to order using the print out AE sizing guide.

I would be weary of that guide, only 1 of the 4 lasts (108) of all the AE shoes I have corresponds to what I measured using that method.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Agreed - I own what I would consider perfect fitting shoes from AE in 5 different sizes and if they offered a 12.5 shoe that number probably would be higher so yea measuring can get you close but not perfect in most cases.

YoungSweet

Reaction score

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I got a pair of black Rutledges. I knew that the leather was different than the standard Allen-Edmonds leather, but I didn't know how much harder it would be to get a shine on the black Independence line leather. I will keep working on them until I get them as shiny as my other black AE shoes. I think that I am about half way to getting a good shine on them.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads