• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rostov

Reaction score
It's my understanding that grain textured leather is (always? usually? sometimes?) corrected grain, which would explain this effect.

It's actually the definition of applying a texture to a leather that makes it "corrected grain". A corrected grain leather simply means that it has an artificial grain applied. Often this is done to hide the blemishes in leather that does not meet the cosmetic standards for use as full-grain leather. It does not necessarily mean that worse leather is used. I also understand that corrected-grain offers better water resistance.

The Duke and Gridiron are not calf-skin like many other Allen Edmonds shoes, but are made of steer hide such as used in footballs. I'm not sure how this affects water resistance, but the leather is notably thicker. Also, I'll note that my own Duke loafers have developed a cordovan-like roll to them, rather than calf-like creases.

Finally, in terms of the quality of the leather, it's worth noting the following page from Horween which says the steer hides they purchase are "generally considered to be the best available hide": http://horween.com/101/by-request-whats-the-difference/

YoungSweet

Reaction score

It's not often that I pull out dressy calf bals on the 5 last . . . but when I do I'm reminded why they're an AE perennial: This is why it's hard for me to get rid of any of my shoes, even with as many pairs as I have (just counting AEs, around 40). I might not wear these McAllisters more than a couple times a year, but when I want to wear them, I'm glad they're there!
Did you downsize half? I thought you were up to about 70 just a few months ago.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this is tomorrow, nine metro stops from my house:

...Wish I could go, but it'd have to be straight from the office, and it's not like our dog can let himself out. Hope other DC SFers can make it!

WICaniac

Reaction score
Thanks. Good points. I'm in academia where fashion is a pretty rare thing. I want to look sharp but not too out of place.

You don't need to look out of place to look stylish. If I had to pick one pair of shoes, however, I'd choose LWB (McNeil or McGregor) in brown. They are Ivy/trad and can't look too out of place, and they work well with what you're wearing.

kentyman

Reaction score
Speaking of which, any opinions on the Shelton? I saw a few on ebay and many seemed to have serious creasing across the vamp. Is this common?

I wore my Walnut/Brown Sheltons for the first time in a while yesterday to see if I wanted to keep them, and I re-fell in love with them. They're really sharp. There are some creases on the vamp, but nothing extreme especially compared to other shoes. I will say that they fit a bit more narrow than my other 1-511 shoes; the V is more pronounced than on my Finches, and the same size Burgundy Shell Daltons I'm wearing today fit perfectly. That said, with a thinner socks and a little breaking in, they fit well.

kentyman

Reaction score
It's actually the definition of applying a texture to a leather that makes it "corrected grain". A corrected grain leather simply means that it has an artificial grain applied. Often this is done to hide the blemishes in leather that does not meet the cosmetic standards for use as full-grain leather. It does not necessarily mean that worse leather is used. I also understand that corrected-grain offers better water resistance.

I guess I should've clarified that by "corrected" I meant not just a grain pattern imprinted, but also a fake plasticy finish applied. I may be confusing my terms. But it does make sense that you could add a grain pattern without adding an additional finish (presumably that's what grain shell cordovan is).

I guess my question is whether this is just imprinted full- or top-grain leather, or something worse with a fake finish added? If the latter, that'd certainly explain the waterproof behavior.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I guess I should've clarified that by "corrected" I meant not just a grain pattern imprinted, but also a fake plasticy finish applied. I may be confusing my terms. But it does make sense that you could add a grain pattern without adding an additional finish (presumably that's what grain shell cordovan is).

I guess my question is whether this is just imprinted full- or top-grain leather, or something worse with a fake finish added? If the latter, that'd certainly explain the waterproof behavior.

The Horween web site indicates that it is not full-grain. It doesn't go into much detail.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to pull the trigger on a pair of Bourbon Dalton on the last day of the RDA sales today. Sized up to 10.5D from my normal 10D after trying them in store (10D is too narrow and tight.) Additional good news is, I managed to get Shoebank to honor the original RDA sale price of $219. It is to be delivered tomorrow. Here's hoping that there aren't any noticeable blemishes on them. :)

Last edited:

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
This is why it's hard for me to get rid of any of my shoes, even with as many pairs as I have (just counting AEs, around 40). I might not wear these McAllisters more than a couple times a year, but when I want to wear them, I'm glad they're there!
Did you downsize half? I thought you were up to about 70 just a few months ago.

Nah. 40 pairs doesn't count the Aldens, Rancourts, Carminas, etc.
smile.gif

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to pull the trigger on a pair of Bourbon Dalton on the last day of the RDA sales today. Sized up to 10.5D from my normal 10D after trying them in store (10D is too narrow and tight.) Additional good news is, I managed to get Shoebank to honor the original RDA sale price of $219. It is to be delivered tomorrow. Here's hoping that there aren't any noticeable blemishes on them.
smile.gif

Nice! How'd you get them to honor that price?

I ordered a pair of walnut Daltons on the second day of the sale, just before the price went up. Love the boots so much.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow 70 pairs?

how often to you polish leather shoes? you probably don't even need to polish considering your sizable collection. i typically polish after 15 wears per pair, and that may take you two years to get to that number, haha.

Olifter

Reaction score

The shop called a little while ago, and the cost is less than a pair of seconds boat shoes.  Back to checking out the sale!

Speaking of which, any opinions on the Shelton?  I saw a few on ebay and many seemed to have serious creasing across the vamp.  Is this common?

Not on mine.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow 70 pairs?

how often to you polish leather shoes? you probably don't even need to polish considering your sizable collection. i typically polish after 15 wears per pair, and that may take you two years to get to that number, haha.

Only about 10 of the pairs are dress calf, and I wouldn't wear any of them any more than a few times per year, so - not very often!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads