1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Yikes! A woven shoe in December, but we can do such things in California. A comfortable pair of Lauderdales for a Tuesday.

[​IMG]

2. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I use AE Cleaner / Conditioner and AE neutral carnauba polish on mine.

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Rainy NYC = Long Branch workhorses.

[​IMG]

4. stifler

stifler Senior member

5. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Some lovely bourbon for today...may send these off to have a half lug sole put on...they are a bit loose since some weight loss and a thick sock will work well...besides I have the oxblood for fancier events

[​IMG]

6. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I spent the extended Thanksgiving weekend in Dallas. Over 9 inches of rain Thurs-Sun. Wore my LB's four days out of five. Wiped them down well and gave them a good brushing after I got back home. Good as new. In fact, better than new. CXL seems every bit as good as it's cracked up to be. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  7. alexdell

alexdell Active Member

I have the same exact Bourbon Daltons and was also planning on putting either a topy or mini-lug sole since my other dark brown Daltons from shoebank already came with the factory topy. I took it to B Nelson and Will suggested not to do it since the butyl sole is treated with oil. The glue will not adhere to the sole. The only way to do it is to do a full recraft where the lug or topy can be sewn in instead of glued. I just left it the way it is and since it has a butyl sole, I can still use it during wet weather.

8. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

9. keepsake89

keepsake89 Senior member

Does anybody have a EEE size on the 65 last? I'd like to see a picture from the top view to see how much width it adds to the overall look.

10. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

I was cruising a local Burlington Coat Factory and couldn't help but laugh when I saw these. Definitely not your father's Florsheims :lol:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

What the?

My last experience with Florsheim consisted of purchasing a full grain shoe, which I loved, but exposed a problem with the rubber on the heal after less than ten wears. I inquired with pictures and they said send em in and we'll give you a new pair. I said great and did so. What I got back was the same model, but with some ridiculously ugly top-grain like leather that I can't polish, soles that bowed the wrong direction, and an uncomfortable in-step. They have been relegated to fowl weather shoes, which was not my original intention. The only reason I bought them in the first place is to support my local shoe store, so I'm not bitter, just a little disappointed.

12. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    These are Park Ave and Shreveports, both in 11 EEE and both on the 65 last. I include both so you can see both open and closed laces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

AE 1 last, Carmina Detroit, AE 65, AE 65

[​IMG]

Bonafe 946, Carmina Detroit, AE 65, Vass P2
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

So I was at a MJM today and they had some Allen Edmonds. Of course NOTHING in my size, the closest I got was a Katmai. I probably could have worn that one, but really needed to be a half size smaller. As usual tons of size 9s took some pics of the more interesting ones (cell phone pics):

Black and Yellow Neumoks (9.5EEE) three pairs of these with bags and boxes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Red Morgans (9):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blue Morgans (9):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fastballs (9 I think):

[​IMG]

Blue Suede McGregors (10)

[​IMG]

Plus some others, Cliftons, Hyde Streets, Fairmonts, a couple of brown Weybridges, and a couple of Hanovers. Others, but I couldn't take it anymore and left.

16. keepsake89

keepsake89 Senior member

EEE doesn't look like it adds any width to the shoe. I'm guess it just makes the leather taller to fit around the vamp area for higher insteps. Im trying to exchange a pair of 7E Cornwallis for 6.5EEE but they said they dont come in 3E. Why?

17. jjtitus

jjtitus Well-Known Member

So, I ordered my first pair of Firsts by getting a pair of 7.5D Brown First Avenues. Beautiful boots except for the fact that the eyelets are not even on one and it's causing the leather to wrinkle weird. Definitely will have to send them back. Bit of a disappointment in waiting 3 weeks for a pair to be made to get them and be messed up. But it did allow me to test the size out. It's hard for me to get sized correctly since there is no AE store in Oklahoma. To me, it feels like the heel to ball is slightly too long and I feel a 7E might be better. For you guys with experience, what is the typical size difference between a 7.5 and 7.0 and then moving up to an E on the 7 rather than staying at a D? I feel like the width is ok on them right now but feel like a 7D might be too tight.

18. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

They come in EEE, just not in a 6.5

19. bantone

bantone Well-Known Member

Hey PM me. I actually got a catalog in the mail and I'm not going to use the code. It's $50 off any full priced shoe.

20. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

You have likely thought of this but were you wearing the thickness of socks you will be wearing with the boots?

That said, here are two less than perfect ideas:

1. If you are pretty sure you have dialed in your correct heel to ball measurement, order in both the 7 D and E and keep the better one.

2. An even worse idea, but still an idea, is check with your closest Dillards (you have ten in your state) and see if they carry AE. They won't have anything on the 201 last but they likely will have PA's and/or Strands in D width only. Despite the last being different, you might be able to feel for yourself the difference in width between a 7.5 D and a 7.0 D. It obviously won't be a perfect translation from the 201 but it might be better than nothing, it's free, and perhaps relatively quick.

Plus, any Dillards or men's store carrying AE I have bothered to ask has told me they could order in any AE show I wanted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.