1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

It looks like they are closing out the original and only keeping the danite soled version around. Pretty nice shoe if you like 65 bluchers. I'd be all over them but the original Player shoe is like a perfect glove fit for me, no way to replicate that.

2. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Good luck with the Randolph - hope you can get it to work, I think it's one of their best loafers. Kind of trite, but the "can't fit a square peg into a round hole" applies to me here. No matter what size I tried with the Randolph, no matter the length, width, different sock thicknesses, etc. they just didn't fit me correctly. If these were in front of my face at a BCF for 44.99 I would still pass.

3. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Totally feel your pain here [​IMG]
    I had somewhat of an easier decision though. I mentioned before that I had a Dalton with the vibram lug sole. The thick black sole is highly noticeable - it's not like a danite sole or even a minilug that you can barely see unless you look carefully. I would not wear them on a normal rotation, only for bad weather. I also find that the full vibram doesn't really support me as well as the mini-lug, like it's too soft. Plus the no speedhooks has been an incredible pain in the ass - the laces constantly become undone and I probably have to re-tie them like over ten times a day when I wear them, particularly when you walk up or down stairs. Finally, if the weather was really bad (like significant snow), I wouldn't be caught dead in any of these - the vibram soled Dalton does ok in some rain, but I have worn my Redwing Beckmans in over a foot of snow and they came out looking almost brand new. The AEs would have been completely destroyed.

The color of the Sauk Drive is killer though - if I didn't already have these Daltons the Sauk Dr would have been an instant purchase, but there was literally no way I wanted another boot like that. The Freiburg on the other hand, that's a must try - couldn't say no to that one.

4. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Ok those are pretty awesome - don't go giving me the violin guy again [​IMG]

Question - are all the BB shakers on the site the one with the red plaid or are some of them like yours? Don't think I could do the red plaid...

5. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

looking good! I need to move my Shakers to the top of the box pile.

6. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

They are the ones with the plaid/tartan print. I'm wearing mine today, and love them.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  7. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Here are my light brown Freiburgs - I really like them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chris

8. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Great looking boot. I love my Shaker Heights - I almost wore them today. They are getting ready to see a lot of time in the winter rotation.

Chris

9. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Stopped by the BCF over the weekend, didn't see much in my size. However, that particular store got a load of what appears to be SMU orders in size 9. I'm guessing they are from the same order. I snapped a few pictures and will post when I find my phone.

10. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

11. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Thanks for the reminder - swungby the same ghetto BCF where I seemed to find stuff before. Lots of 9D, but stuff wasn't too good - older boat shoes and driving mocs. Few weybtidges. Then I couldn't believe it - Frye engineer boot in 7D, made in the USA. I always wanted to try it. Unfortunately it reminded me why I got to AE in the first place - too much damn width. I could have probably gotten by but they were really large. Couldn't believe the price (160). Hope they go to a good home.

12. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Funny you mentioned that, I bought the same boots in dark brown yesterday and wearing them today. They fit like a glove and super comfortable.

13. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

Up close and personally with my new shell strands. Turn around time on these was right around 3 weeks. Compared to some older shell I have, these are a bit for rough and you can see more imperfections in the shell.

Overall great looking shoes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Dario65

Dario65 Senior member

EEE Townley in light brown for $160 at my local Nordstronm Rack. Brand new and appear to be firsts. If anybody is interested let me know and I can grab them.

15. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

All my dark browns together,

First pair is calf skin Park Ave
    Second pair shell Park Ave
    And lastly the new shell Strands

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Fullertons today with blue tapered chinos. Not sure this is the best pairing, but think everything at least ties together. (Plus I didn't have to iron this morning.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

@Dd1101 Beautiful shoes! nice collection.

18. mosy

mosy Senior member

all look great, but i find your calf pair to be most impressive. what product(s) do you use on them?

19. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

What experience has anyone here had with the AE Spray Waterproofer? I hear that it's not recommended for use on calfskin leather shoes and that it's mostly for suede or nubuck. Others say you can use them on any types of leather. I also read that you shouldn't use waterproof products on fine leathers because they clog the pores of the leather which will affect the quality and longevity of the shoe. What do you guys think? I bought the Spray Waterproofer so I could use it mainly on my calfskin leather shoes but I'm not sure if I should keep it or just return it...

20. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

@CanadaCal

Sorry about the bad cell phone pictures but here they are. Some don't have the model and size printed. I don't remember for sure but i don't think they have the factory seconds stamp.

Not looking to make money, just hope these will end up going to someone who can appreciate AE and its too-good-to-be-true-while-it-lasted SMU program. If you are interested in any, PM me before Wed, I'm not looking to head to that place and deal with the madness.

Brown grain boots with lug sole. I think they are the eagle county
    [​IMG]
    McNiel Black and Choco Suede with flat lace.
    [​IMG]
    Navy Suede Neumok with Red rubber sole (not Danite)
    [​IMG]
    Sand Suede Neumok with red rubber sole. Same as above
    [​IMG]
    Red/Orange Grain Leather Neumok with matching insole

[​IMG]
    Olive Strand/Strandmok standard leather sole
    [​IMG]

Not SMU but black Grayson
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.