1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpearlberg

rpearlberg Senior member

Sizing questions:

I have the McTavish and Long Branch, both in 11D.
    The McTavish have plenty of room in the heel and in the toe box, where even as I sit here typing this I can feel my heel moving around. I don't need a shoehorn to put them on and they slide on/off easily. Are these too big?
    The Long Branch are similar, in that there is plenty of room in the heel and toe box, but not as easy to take on/off due to it being a boot.

I also have the Strand in 11D and those fit like a glove.

The Fifth Ave in 11D were too roomy so I went with the 10.5D (which is weird bc it's the same as the Strand, right?).

2. The Heat

The Heat Active Member

I need a little AE advice. I thought I'd post it here instead of making a new thread? I need an oxblood/burgundy/merlot shoe for work. I'm a doctor working in an outpatient clinic, so I wear dress pants, button up shirt, tie, and white coat. I need SF's opinion on the Strand vs. Carlyle. I probably prefer the simplicity of the Carlyle, but I don't want the shoe to be too formal. So my question is, does the oxblood color tone down a plain toe enough to wear in the clinic? I do like the Strand as an alternative, but I don't want anything too "loud." I'd probably be going for the 5th Ave if it came in oxblood, but alas.

3. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Have you seen the Carlyle in person? Damn good looking shoe sir. I would get the Carlyle if simple is what you're going for.

4. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Walnut Wednesday: I'm wearing that shoe of which so many people can't understand the point.

[​IMG]

5. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Suede Mora's looking good on the Club Monaco website

[​IMG]

6. The Heat

The Heat Active Member

I have, it is a great looking shoe, I love how plain and understated it is.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  7. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

There is your answer. Buy it :)

8. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I understand the point - and I really like that shoe in walnut. Chris

9. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

What is the point? With some polish it can be darker which won't be that bad?

10. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Brown Cornwallis... That is all

11. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Meh. Different strokes I guess.

12. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

I saw a pair of Brown Cornwallis the other day. I thought it looked like a work of art.

It seems they get no play here. Why is that?

Pics gentleman!

13. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Red, I seem to recall your decision to get those was based on (i) your desire to have an option with your casual warm weather suits a little different from stereotypical choices, and (ii) something for odd trousers, whether with or without jacket and tie. However, I thought you had said you had no interest in wearing them with dark trousers because you had no interest in compliments based on either the personality of your shoes or your "interesting personality" in choosing to wear such a combo. Would you care to elaborate? (Not that you have any need to; we don't have to have a particular reason for doing EVERYTHING we do) Speaking of walnut ... Lots of wet squishy leaves after the storms blew through. Black Hills seemed to make sense. [​IMG]

14. bathiel

bathiel Senior member

Here's mine.

Bernie[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Sure. Not that I won't break my own rules, but I don't believe I have. Here are my reasons:

1) Hadn't worn them in a while 2) Walnut Wednesday 3) the sun is out after a storm and it was 70° earlier 3) these are being worn with odd trousers and jacket with tie. I believe what I said, was that I had no desire to wear them with a dark suit. If not, that is what I meant. The discussion was also originally about walnut brogues, which I definitely have no interest in wearing with these trousers.

To be honest, I am a tad bit uncomfortable today. If it hadn't been walnut Wednesday, I would of worn chili.

16. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

17. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

Dang! Those look so great. I realized I don't currently own any dark brown AEs and might need to remedy that with a pair of these at some point.

1 person likes this.
  18. bathiel

bathiel Senior member

I will say that these look even better in person. I think they're one of the nicest styles from AE in the past few years. And they're comfortable as hell.

Bernie

1 person likes this.
  19. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Agree with both of you, about needing a dark brown pair and these being one of AE's best.

20. keepsake89

keepsake89 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.