• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting to read Paul's IAmA. It's clear that AE reads SF based on this response to a question:

"...Some of our experiments have been hugely successful -- the McTavish wingtip in cowhide with a natural sidewall, the Neumoks as an uncontructed wingtip with no lining, our Bourbon and other brown leather introductions, the Boulder that put us into the all-weather moccasin business for the first time as the Dalton put us in lace-up dress boots for the first time. Others have tanked. I'm a huge believer that you don't get better skiing unless you occasionally take a fall. There are a few shoes I'd like to take back, and there are others I thought wouldn't make it that have. What one AE Man finds too far out there can attract a whole new customer. Our current Strandmok with it's ChromeXL leather and Dainite sole got huge criticism on StyleForum, and it's one of our bestselling introductions for this fall. As the Germans used to tell me -- Um Geschmack laesst sich nicht streiten (there's no arguing about taste)"

Also, I asked about the Independence Line and how it's changing going forward and actually got a response!

Very cool to see Paul interacting with the community.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
Bradleys that just came in; they're in good shape... I found two - albeit small - hiccups, of which one is with the piping:

...easy enough to fix.
Other one is most apparent here - the diameter of the top stitch is wider on the right (actually left) shoe as it meets with the vamp/open lacing, though not by much.

They looked mostly pre-stripped of the AE shell ****, thankfully, w/flash:

Had shoe trees at work! No NST in my lineup, but with the GMTO Shell Strand ramping up, (sans medallion, perhaps?!? ...Wheeled and fudged maybe?), this and another return would completely fund it.

DayTripper

Reaction score
I asked Paul on reddit if they plan on introducing a shortwing blucher into the line-up and he said yes, it will be introduced next winter. That's all the info I got.

Skatenc123

Reaction score
After probably 10 wears. I'm still getting some pinky toe pinching :( even with dress socks.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score

After probably 10 wears. I'm still getting some pinky toe pinching :( even with dress socks.

I had the same issue, along with one other, with my pair of Shaker Heights. Had to go up in width which relieved the pinky toe pain but added a little heel slippage.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't set out today to pair gray flannel with CXL Long Branches but guess what arrived a day early.

Received my new (first quality) CXL Long Branches today ($269). I'm not loving them. I have the old model and I much prefer the old Vibram sole. The gumlite is too thick and too soft for my taste. Also, my brand new pair has more than slight wrinkles around the ankle. My older pair were seconds, and I swear, they arrived in better shape than these brand new first quality LB's. May keep them / may not - gonna sleep on it. A bit of a disappointment after waiting for them to be crafted.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked Paul on reddit if they plan on introducing a shortwing blucher into the line-up and he said yes, it will be introduced next winter. That's all the info I got.

I did the same and asked about the independence line:

"We're re-introducing a renewal of the Independence line next year. We're in process on the finishing touches and new materials right now. Wait til you see them! We've decided to offer the new Independence Limited Edition shoes as we do Cordovan. I.E. we're not going to come up with slightly diffent patterns and new names, we'll do our best patterns but in the super elite quality calfskin, soft lambskin lining, a lambskin sockliner, a great new sole and a combination leather/back quarter rubber heel. There will be a style or two only offered in Independence Limited Edition, but if you want the Strand or the Park Avenue with the full monty of upgrades, you'll be able to have those without a change to the look."

Sounds interesting. I think someone did a Strand with full indy specs last fall. It was pretty cool.

Skatenc123

Reaction score

I had the same issue, along with one other, with my pair of Shaker Heights. Had to go up in width which relieved the pinky toe pain but added a little heel slippage.

I dout I would get another pair. I may try to stretch them a bit wish a shoe tree some how. Maybe wrap the tree in cloth to make it thicker.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received a slew of new shoes (mostly seconds) from AE today. Two pairs of Daltons (actually 3, but just for sizing), Long Branches, Neumoks, BB 5th Ave, suede Patriots, etc. The standout for me is the BB Aberdeens in Brown Grain with rubber lug sole (my new rain shoes). Reverse chili welt, dark brown mid sole, LWB, unlined, rough and tumble. They are amazingly comfortable and look really nice on. I've never seen them mentioned in this thread - I'm guessing they are an older model. What do you all think of the Aberdeen?

AE's photo

Last edited:

delmar

Reaction score
Received a slew of new shoes (mostly seconds) from AE today. Two pairs of Daltons (actually 3, but just for sizing), Long Branches, Neumoks, BB 5th Ave, suede Patriots, etc. The standout for me is the BB Aberdeens in Brown Grain with rubber lug sole (my new rain shoes). Reverse chili welt, dark brown mid sole, LWB, unlined, rough and tumble. They are amazingly comfortable and look really nice on. I've never seen them mentioned in this thread - I'm guessing they are an older model. What do you all think of the Aberdeen?

AE's photo
I have a pair of the Aberdeens in the same dark brown color. I really like them too. After I got them I took my McNeils to Goodwill. I like the 222 last, I have Norwiches, Ashburys, Lubboks, and now Aberdeens in the 222 last and I like them all.

There are a lot of Dalton fans here--I have a pair, myself--but I like the Long Branches better. The Daltons are more refined looking but they just don't look right to me without a split reverse welt. I just replaced the red laces on my long Branches with matching brown laces and now I like them even more.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of the Aberdeens in the same dark brown color. I really like them too. After I got them I took my McNeils to Goodwill. I like the 222 last, I have Norwiches, Ashburys, Lubboks, and now Aberdeens in the 222 last and I like them all.

There are a lot of Dalton fans here--I have a pair, myself--but I like the Long Branches better. The Daltons are more refined looking but they just don't look right to me without a split reverse welt. I just replaced the red laces on my long Branches with matching brown laces and now I like them even more.

Good to hear! I tried them on and haven't taken them off yet!

I have both Daltons and LB and I like them both for what they are. I did ditch the red laces. I'll pull them out in December -- maybe.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might have been the original pair that inspired me to get in on the brown shell Townley GMTO.
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
Can't wait to see yours, buddy.

Also, I just read the entire reddit. I think 3 people were asking about a shortwing. MESSAGE RECEIVED.

Looks like P. Grangard is sticking around. Also, that new ownership groups seems committed to keep AE on the current path. Good news.

SkySaw

Reaction score
Wore my walnut Players today. I'm trying to develop a burnish on the toes, and I think it is coming along well.

evilWagon

Reaction score
Received my new (first quality) CXL Long Branches today ($269). I'm not loving them. I have the old model and I much prefer the old Vibram sole. The gumlite is too thick and too soft for my taste. Also, my brand new pair has more than slight wrinkles around the ankle. My older pair were seconds, and I swear, they arrived in better shape than these brand new first quality LB's. May keep them / may not - gonna sleep on it. A bit of a disappointment after waiting for them to be crafted.

Woah, I'm having the last of the brown waxy leather made into a pair, the website still shows vibram and I haven't read anything differently anywhere else. Was your sole change a special request or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads