1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aero25

aero25 Senior member

Love my pair, too. I live in a desert region of the country, so the leather sole is fine for me. The distressing on mine is very mild as well. So comfortable!

2. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Thanks! I wear them a lot actually. They aren't overly flashy but just enough so that they get noticed and still work in a business environment. I get lots of compliments.

3. xxxRacer

xxxRacer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]. Friday MacNeils. 45 on EBay.

1 person likes this.
  4. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

My order, from casual to dressy: 2, 1, 3, 4 For me, it's really a toss-up in the middle between 1 and 3.

5. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I like the idea of a personal ranking and then a ranking of what you think the general public would say.

6. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

I agree with this, except my reasoning for the First Ave being less formal than the Bleecker is the choice of leather rather than choice of sole. As far as I'm concerned, dainite is acceptable office attire for all but the most formal occasions. And doesn't the Bleecker come with a tap-toe?

7. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

The options were not chosen completely at random. There are some certain elements of all 4 that can go either direction, so I thought it would be a fun question to pose.

8. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Wearing my MTO chili/bitter chocolate Fifth Streets today and got caught in a brief (and not forecasted) shower. So glad I went with JR soles, as they seem to just shrug off moisture that standard leather shoes would crumble from. Anyone know the price differential (wholesale or retail) between the two? I'd happily pay an upcharge for them on all my leather-soled shoes.
    [​IMG]

9. Flytrout

Flytrout Member

That cracks me up. My wife recently questioned me why I have three pairs of the same shoe (Merlot McAllisters, Chili McGregors, Walnut Strands). After a lengthy discussion she started to see the differences.

10. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Ha! Had a very similar conversation about other brogued shoes.

11. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Hah- I have this conversation weekly with my wife. She claims all my shoes "look the same". I proceed to explain to her the difference between blucher vs. balmoral; plain toe vs. cap toe. vs. brogue; shortwing vs. longwing; shell vs calf, etc. Her eyes just glaze over in defeat...works every time.

12. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

[​IMG]

Navy Maritimes.

Waiting in the doctor's office. Very bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. aejc

aejc Member

Interesting selection. Ignoring tuxedo pumps, I usually rank (in terms of formality [most >. . .> least]):
    lacing: oxford > derby > monk > loafer
    style: whole cut > cap toe > stitch cap > semi-brogue > brogue
    color: black > dark shades > light shades
    sole: leather > Dainite / discreet composite > double leather > commando / rugged
    material: full-grain leather > pebble leather
    (I'm not going to get into tanning processes).

I'm a fan of oxfords, and love my tan McTavish, even though the oxford brogue makes a few cringe (I have numerous AE shoes in this style, including the tan McTavish, cognac Ridgeway, white Spiaggia, plus burgundy and bourbon McAllisters).

Despite being an oxford, the tan leather, finish, full brogue and Budapester style make the tan McTavish an informal shoe. I'd rank it the most casual.

The next two are the most difficult: grain dark leather with a Dainite sole vs. a slightly-lighter semi-brogue Monk --
    I'll say brown-grain, Dainite-sole First Ave, followed by Merlot Franciscan.

That leaves the Bleeker St as the most formal.

To me, the Franciscan is the wild card -- I could slot that anywhere other than the most casual of the four.

14. AlphaDad

AlphaDad Active Member

They are nice. I want a pair, but havent been lucky enough to find them :(

1 person likes this.
  15. TonyK

TonyK Member

How much space should there be in the toe of an AE shoe? ...any experience with the 201 last?

[​IMG]

16. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

Swapped out my pebble grain first avenues for brown burnished.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. LanceM

LanceM Senior member

I tried the Bartlett today. They felt really good with tie width, but I ad slight heal slip using my 65 last size.

18. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Enjoyed reading your reply. I agree that the Franciscan is the wild card.

For me, the McTavish is the most casual. The light welt, double sole, and rough leather easily outweigh the bal lacing.
    Of the remaining three, I use the Bleecker as the most formal.

The other two are a bit of a toss up. The color and shape of the Franciscan say formal, though I always think of a strap as casual (which is maybe why I have always shied away from Moras). A cap toe definitely leans formal, though the grain leather and dainite are more casual. I actually wear the Franciscans more casual, but that is because I think they look great with jeans. I use the First Aves as bad weather formal wear. These are the two that I was most interested in hearing about.

19. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Good call IMO.

20. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I'm with you on almost all of that, especially the boxes/bags thing. I also hope they revive the MTO program with a nominal (I'm thinking $60 for a few changes, $100 for several).

I'm glad they're trying new stuff, but while Alden isn't doing a lot of direct experimentation, guys like AoC, LeatherSoul and others are doing some terrific make-ups.

I wasn't sure which ones you were talking about and had to look it up - I'm with you on the cracked. McT. I LOVE my waxed tan and cognac McT's though...

(I'm also a member of the TMW club. Don't care either ;))

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.