1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@Kahuna75 How does the overlord fit compared to the Normandy? I really like the look, but sometimes these limited size runs don't work out, with 7D being too large. The grippy heel on the Normandy was enough to compensate for the overly large space up front.

Too bad about the stitching - you don't know how many times I've heard that from people - they really must have messed up a lot if these.

2. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

The Overlord fits similar to a 65 lasted shoe for me. Compared to the Normandy though they fit similar and different in various ways. Similar in that I think I would wear a 12 in both dissimilar in that I could wear the Normandy in a 13 and be ok due to the rounded toe and being a boot along with the soft kudu it really allows you to tighten it up.

The Overlord fits me better in 13 overall in a out of box wearing but due to the longer toe it just feels too long for me...I could wear it but wont. The Overlord in 12D is snug and I would have to wear my standard cotton dress socks with them but I was able to get the V gap pretty snug again due to the soft Kudu. If it were a different leather I am not sure it would work for me. The key to both the Normandy and the 201 lasted Overlord is the footbed is wide enough to work for me - One thing I wont deal with any more is feeling the edge of the footbed on the botom of my foot.

If I had any plans to wear the Normandy with boot socks I would keep the 13.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  3. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Oxblood Ascher with olive today
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. billikenman

billikenman Well-Known Member

Great color, great combo.

5. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

PC POV

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

Snuff Gobis while working from home.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Still gloomy in New York

Shell Sanfords

[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

5 people like this.
  8. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

E reached out to me regarding the Brooks brothers images not showing up. Should get resolved soon :slayer:

9. Dario65

Dario65 Senior member

New here and trying to get some shoe sense. What makes the Morgan so unappealing? It looks a little heavy on the brouguing to me.

Went to Los Angeles recently and took two pairs of AEs, Dark Chili Fifth Ave I wore with a suit and Chili Burnished Calf Ashtons with jeans. I got compliments on both. I don't recall ever before getting complimented on my shoes. People seem to respond well to the Ashtons. Maybe it's the color more than the shoe? They work well as casual shoes.

I just bought black a pair of black Nashuas based largely on the Shoebank price. Will see how those fit and look.

10. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

The Morgans are made with 'brush off' leather. To many of us, the effect looks fake and the leather has a plastic like finish to it. They end up looking more like a cheap pair from Stacy Adams than what we expect from AE. There's at least one member of this forum who is fond of them and I'll let him make the affirmative case.

11. Dario65

Dario65 Senior member

Got it - thanks for the info. No point in buying AEs if I want lower quality leather. Bostonians and others come into play at at that point (for me).

12. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

Here is my collection of shell so far. What am I lacking (I have a pair of Alden boots coming)? What should I look for next?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Black Leeds
    [​IMG]
    Black MacNeil
    [​IMG]
    Black Norwich
    [​IMG]
    Alden 974
    [​IMG]
    Color 8 MacNeil
    [​IMG]
    Color 8 Bradley
    [​IMG]
    Color 8 Patriot (I think)
    [​IMG]
    Brown C&J PTB

1 person likes this.
  13. Buster Brown

Buster Brown Senior member

How about something in the lighter colors like whiskey or ravello? I know, easier said than sourced.

14. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

Nice collection! Are you looking for specifically AE? I think for shoes you got everything you really need covered, just heavy in blacks/color 8. I love the brown shell Strand, which would be a nice addition.

As for shell boots, I just prefer Alden makeups and recently sold my walnut shell Daltons as a result. I think once you get your first shell Alden boots (which ones did you go with?), you might end up wanting another... (just a hunch) I would go that route for your next purchase or consider other shell boot makers like Carmina, Crockett & Jones

+1 to @Buster Brown 's suggestion of lighter shell... tough to land but they usually pop up if you search hard enough. Ravello is my personal favorite

15. xxxRacer

xxxRacer Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Thursday Rush

1 person likes this.
  16. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

When the MTO program was still going I had a heritage done with a combo of leather and suede (Allison even sent me some suede samples so I could choose) with non-golf sole.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

@polojock615 I picked up a pair of those same Summit Aves shortly after they were a web gem. I've only worn them once (not because I'm against flashy - see my Heritage post above, I wear them quite a bit - and I also have the Strawfut as well as the Brooks 7) but because I don't find many things they go with. I should probably just take some more chances with them in the summer. I know they aren't something that will get regular wear but would like to wear them more. What do you wear them with?

1 person likes this.
  17. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

I would love some Ravello short wings!
    I buy AE almost exclusively. The C&Js and Aldens have just been happy cheap finds. I went with the color 8 cap toe (4060 I think?) I love all the Alden boots too. Especially the NST boot.

18. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Nothing. I only keep them because my wife likes them so much. So they sit on a shelf...

1 person likes this.
  19. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@Dario65 I got the black Nashua as 1st qual - love em & wear em all the time. Liked them enough that I got them in brown also.

20. Passat774

Passat774 Well-Known Member

It's an awesome collection. I think you need a pair of Chukka boots!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.