• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemmy127

Reaction score

Thanks for sharing! Next time I find myself in the US I'll make sure to schedule a trip to Port Washington. Should just be a 4-5 hour drive from my in-laws who live in Chicago (I think).

Depending on their specific location and traffic, it could be as little as 2 hours. Being a native of the area, that's a fantastic editing job to make Port Washington pretty looking rather than bland, haha.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For instance, I'd be pretty happy about paying $220 for a pair of Daltons in the current sale; I haven't seen them that low in a while, even before the price increase (excepting the close-out styles such as the grey ones).

Yeah I paid $199 last year for a pair of chocolate Daltons, and honestly I wasn't even all that interested in them/didn't particularly need them. But the price was amazing and lower than I'd ever seen, so I took a chance and when they came in the mail, fortunately it was love at first sight.

Not the best way to justify a purchase, in hindsight. But it worked out for me.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm finding myself pretty tempted by the mora's again, as well as the promontory point, shaker heights, and gobi.

:/

LeviMay

Reaction score

Would anyone be able to tell me if I need to size up or down on the BB fifth avenues compared to the standard fifth aves?
Also is the different insole not going to form to my foot over time as the non BB ones would?

I went up a width in BB shoes. The insole isn't soft and squishy, but it definitely takes up some room.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mora 2.0 vs. Neuroma? Thoughts?

The Neumora fits me much better, as the 3 last runs wider in the ball than the 8 last. Not sure what the differences are, besides a different last....

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever since seeing the US Ryder Cup team wearing them in the opening ceremony, I am tempted to get a pair of Dalton when they go on sales at the Show Bank, but I just didn't expect it so soon. :)

Last edited:

menswhere

Reaction score
Should I get AE Player's Shoes or McGregors for the upcoming sale? Looks like Player Shoes will be like $20 cheaper. Doing walnut for both -- would like something business casual, potentially work with a suit but more for slacks/blazer looks. Any reason I should be considering one over the other besides price?

SkySaw

Reaction score
Should I get AE Player's Shoes or McGregors for the upcoming sale? Looks like Player Shoes will be like $20 cheaper. Doing walnut for both -- would like something business casual, potentially work with a suit but more for slacks/blazer looks. Any reason I should be considering one over the other besides price?

Yes, the Players is on the 2 last, while the MacGregor is on the 5. I believe the 5 is easier to fit, while the 2 can lead to things like creases in the toe-box. If you are more familiar with one of those lasts, then stick with it, or go to a store and find out which last feels better on your feet. Of all the AE lasts I have tried, the 2 is the least comfortable, and my feet are pretty comfortable in almost all their lasts.

Last edited:

menswhere

Reaction score
Great -- I have strands, which is the same lasts as the MacGregor. Any clue if they have a BB version that will be cheaper (or any wingtip version)? Sorry -- newbie in the AE game and can only figure out so much on my own.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ever since seeing the US Ryder Cup team wearing them in the opening ceremony, I am tempted to get a pair of Dalton when they go on sales at the Show Bank, but I just didn't expect it so soon. :)

Do you really want that kind of karma?? Those guys really pissed me off, esp. the guy who I saw wearing the AEs (Keagen Bradley)!!

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Players is on the 2 last, while the MacGregor is on the 5. I believe the 5 is easier to fit, while the 2 can lead to things like creases in the toe-box. If you are more familiar with one of those lasts, then stick with it, or go to a store and find out which last feels better on your feet. Of all the AE lasts I have tried, the 2 is the least comfortable, and my feet are pretty comfortable in almost all their lasts.
Absolutely agree! To put it bluntly, the two last stinks. Haven't seen or tried the McGregor. It seems odd to use the five last on a longwing blucher. The five last is classically used with AE's iconic oxford/balmorals. I'm curious though.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you really want that kind of karma?? Those guys really pissed me off, esp. the guy who I saw wearing the AEs (Keagen Bradley)!!

Apparently it is all Tom Watson's fault and not the players', including Keegan. :)

The boots are innocent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads