• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just got my walnut player's and the sand suede player's. Even though I take both pair in the same size, but the suede player's is too tight on the pinky, so I am going to do an exchange.

spitshine123

Reaction score
2 for 200 order placed! Snuff Players and Brown/Brown Mesh Strawfuts.
(And full-toe shoe trees -- 2 for $35)

I ordered the $199 BB Strand in Brown and a pair of malverns from the 2 for 200 sale (ordered with my friend). Look forward to everyone's AE Sale "harvest" pics!

Pics with the rest of your AE family are highly encouraged.
smile.gif

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gave my 2 month old Leeds a bit of Renovateur and a solid brushing during last friday afternoon conference calls. Direct, late afternoon sunlight isn't the best lighting condition but you get the idea.These fit TTS so damn well I can't get over it. I wish the Macneil's last fit as well. For the Macneil, I had to size up by .5 and add a thin insole. They are very comfortable but the Leeds' #1 last seems to be made for my slightly wide, high volume feet. I purchased these during the recent shell cordovan promotion. These factory 2nds came in at $299. First pair had to be returned but these are close enough to perfect for me.

Very nice job, I really like Renovateur. That is extremely effective use of conference call time!
smile.gif

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lookin' good, my friend! Reno does a great job with shell. How many times have your worn them?

Probably twice a week and after double checking, they arrived from the shoebank on March 30th so I've only had them a month. Definitely still in the honeymoon phase with the Leeds and the Macneil.

Very nice job, I really like Renovateur. That is extremely effective use of conference call time!
smile.gif

Thanks, depending on the conference call topic or who is running it, I can get a lot of shoe care done on Friday afternoons :) I did these on one Friday last summer or fall.

I'm leading one call today but should be able to re-bull the toe on my Kenilworth by COB this afternoon. I recently stripped the wax off with Renomat (a FANTASTIC product incidentally) because I was getting hairline cracks in this polish:

After the Renomat, I reapplied a couple of coats of Renovateur and will hit the toes with wax this afternoon. I've been using Saphir MDO but I seem to get a better mirror polish with plain old brown Kiwi.

Shell certainly has its appeal and I'm smitten with my first two pair of shell shoes (purchased just this year). But there's something real special about well-shined, mirror calfskin.

mystix

Reaction score
Hey Patrick,

What is your method of stripping wax? I have read the shoe care thread and there are so many methods and sides to choose from. Some say use, nail polish, rubbing alcohol, lexol cleaner, elbow grease. I am not liking the mismatch shine on my pair of shoes and want a fresh start.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gave my 2 month old Leeds a bit of Renovateur and a solid brushing during last friday afternoon conference calls. Direct, late afternoon sunlight isn't the best lighting condition but you get the idea.These fit TTS so damn well I can't get over it. I wish the Macneil's last fit as well. For the Macneil, I had to size up by .5 and add a thin insole. They are very comfortable but the Leeds' #1 last seems to be made for my slightly wide, high volume feet. I purchased these during the recent shell cordovan promotion. These factory 2nds came in at $299. First pair had to be returned but these are close enough to perfect for me.

Man, these look great. Makes me want to sell My Alden #8 PTBs and pick these up

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, these look great. Makes me want to sell My Alden #8 PTBs and pick these up

Thanks!

I know what you mean, they are all similar. I looked at and tried on Alden LWB and PTB in color 8. I compared those to the AE Macneil and Leeds in burgundy shell. In the end, AE's models won out due in part to price, fit and the aesthetics. If I had to do it again, I'd have gone with the Alden LWB over the Macneil. The Barrie LWB fits a tad better than the Macneil. I was swayed by the price difference.

However, I made the perfect choice with the Leeds over the Alden PTB. Fit is not just good...it's perfect and I like the slightly sleeker last of the Leeds. Sleek probably isn't the right word as both are far from sleek but the Leeds is a tad narrower and more aesthetically pleasing to my eye.

W/regard to color, it's a toss up. AE's burgundy shell and Alden's color 8 are very different from eachother, however you see [significant] variety even among the same maker. Both burgundy shell and color 8 look great in different light. I like them both.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Patrick,

What is your method of stripping wax? I have read the shoe care thread and there are so many methods and sides to choose from. Some say use, nail polish, rubbing alcohol, lexol cleaner, elbow grease. I am not liking the mismatch shine on my pair of shoes and want a fresh start.

Exactly. That stuff is worth its weight in gold. If there every was a magic bullet, it is Renomat. I've tried stripping with Lexol cleaner. It does work but you use a ton of product, it takes a lot of elbow grease and it leaves the leather dry. Renomat on the other hand, works so damn well with very little effort and seems to do it all with little effect to the leather. I follow Renomat up with Renovateur then re-wax.

It just works. I'm sure there are lots of products and methods but once I found Renomat, I was hooked. It used to be difficult to source in the states. Kirby Allison at the Hanger Project now carries it and a huge selection of Saphir.

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently stripped the wax off with Renomat (a FANTASTIC product incidentally)

After the Renomat, I reapplied a couple of coats of Renovateur and will hit the toes with wax this afternoon. I've been using Saphir MDO but I seem to get a better mirror polish with plain old brown Kiwi.

Shell certainly has its appeal and I'm smitten with my first two pair of shell shoes (purchased just this year). But there's something real special about well-shined, mirror calfskin.

I did my Shelton's about a month ago and thanked you for the tip on the Renomat http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/4185#post_5348184 and would like to thank you again. It is great stuff, helped make my Shelton's look like new shoes. Really wished I had done a before pic but had no idea it would work that well!

Yeah I do have some MDO and still playing with it. Love the cream though. Used black Kiwi for 20 years in the military and after awhile you get a feel for it (literally) when doing a spit shine. MDO is different, but I'm starting to like it. Working on my Jefferson's trying to shine the wingtip section and heel counters to highlight the brogue but it is going to take a bit longer than I expected to get it where I want.

itsmejson

Reaction score
any recommendations for black AE that can be
dressed up for a suit and down w/ dark blue jeans?
- I was originally looking at PA but after further forum
searches have found that many members feel that PA
are too formal for jeans.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a lot of really strong choices in black for denim, but if you're looking for a crossover shoe the MacNeil in black is a pretty good choice.

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score

I've worn my black McTavish with everything from suits to jeans. Yes, it's fairly informal for a suit, but I think it still works.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try the Kenilworth, I think they have it in black...

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Vinci is cappuccino which is close to dark brown but has a hint of chocolate color to it. Not sure what cream\polish to use on them yet. I really like the color and want to maintain it.

The Strawfut I got in brown also, it is more of a reddish medium brown. I feel the black would have been more traditional, especially paired with white or stone colored slacks. As I do not own any pants or suits that are that light I went with brown. 

I never did get the matching cappuccino polish, but I like the light brown as an alternative. I actually replicated the toe burnishing from the Kenilworth, so I use both the AE light brown and dark brown cream and wax :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads